• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan v Sri Lanka in UAE 2013/14

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** this ****. I sat through Lanka going at 2 an over but missed the final day. FML

Amazing, amazing win.... Great way to bid farewell to Whatmore. And Misbah ... What a man. He is cricket jesus

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well done Pakistan, brilliant. Serves SL right for batting so negatively. Was the spinner on debut injured or did Angelo just not have any confidence?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Sri Lanka's gamesmanship doesn't surprise me. They've indulged in it a fair bit since the advent of people like Sangakkara and Jayawardena, who only escape scrutiny because of their supposed erudition. Also, I completely disagree with posters empathizing with their craven tactics towards the end. Nobody wants to lose, sure, but trying to deprive the opposition of the most fundamental opportunity at winning is unacceptable and on the same level as the underarm incident.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Disagree but completely understand your point of view.

The best example ever was Ishant bringing out two right handed gloves during the Monkeygate Sydney test :laugh:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Maximas did you enjoy Herath's century? :laugh:
I've seen better

Sri Lanka's gamesmanship doesn't surprise me. They've indulged in it a fair bit since the advent of people like Sangakkara and Jayawardena, who only escape scrutiny because of their supposed erudition. Also, I completely disagree with posters empathizing with their craven tactics towards the end. Nobody wants to lose, sure, but trying to deprive the opposition of the most fundamental opportunity at winning is unacceptable and on the same level as the underarm incident.
While trying not to lose is fraught with danger I don't see how it's some sort of sporting sin, the underarm incident comparison I really don't see tbh

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
it's disgusting and pathetic.

I don't care how much you hate losing. That's how children behave and these are grown men.

It's only a game after all. It's not the opposition's problem that you don't like losing, and it's not the spectators'. Sometimes you have to put up with things that you don't like. Welcome to adulthood.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
They shouldn't have batted like chumps throughout the game if they hated losing so much. They dug their own grave and started moaning when it was time to go lie in it. Make no effort to advance the game and then throw fits when the opposition shows some fight and turns the tables. Disgusting is the only way to see it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't care how much you hate losing. That's how children behave and these are grown men.
Considering most professional cricketers who are grown men actually would do what SL have done, not sure this is true.

I can see how people hate the gamesmanship. But SL were most certainly not in the minority of teams that would have done it.

Where SL are in the minority is that they are probably the only team who would have had a captain with such **** tactics. Like out and out ****.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Considering most professional cricketers who are grown men actually would do what SL have done, not sure this is true.
That just means they're all childish ****s.

Hated it when Cook and Broad did it at various points. Hated it when Clarke did it. Hated it when India does it. They're all giant babies as far as I'm concerned.

Before someone says "oh but it cuts into their earnings! you can't blame people for cynical behaviour when it's their livelihood" yes I damn well can. And they still get paid anyway.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
a huge WELL DONE to Pakistan on a fantastic win, which they thoroughly deserved. The simple fact is that our bowlers let us down. We should have been able to defend 301 in two sessions but we didnt and fair play to Pakistan for chasing it down. I have to say that i am not pleased with our players behaviour towards the end and agree thatit was not sporting at all. I would have expected some o fthe seniors to advise Mathews on this and stop it..still he will learn from this. Whilst i am very disappointed at losing this test and the series, i have to say that after so long away from test match cricket, if someone offered me a drawn test series before it started, i would have bitten their hand off.Lets not forget that our opponents are the team that just returned from SA after beating them in their own backyard(which is no mean feat). The positives for me from this tour were that some of our youngsters finally stood up to be counted and showed the world what we know in Sri Lanka, that our future is not a bleak as some would suggest. Again, well done Pakistan, you deserved this win and as for Dav, proves my statements to my many Pakistani friends that he is an awesome coach..Would have loved to have him come back to us tbh...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My post from yesterday:

Just so I know, why have teams stopped bowling wide down the off side or leg side in situations like these? I remember there being an Aus vs NZ test around 2006 where McGrath bowled beautifully down the off-side, right at the wide mark and kept NZ from getting 20 off 18 balls or something like that. Neither India nor SL tried that recently.
Anybody wants to answer this?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't see the final day, so if people are complaining about delaying tactics in the field then yeah, that's **** I agree, but playing negatively and not advancing the game isn't unsportsmanlike or anything IMO - just to clarify

Last edited: