• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan v Sri Lanka in UAE 2013/14

salman85

International Debutant
Matthews is fantastic.Arguably SL's best choice of captain since Ranatunga IMO,on par with Mahela.The only thing missing from his game is the ability to convert starts into big scores but its slightly unfair to hold that against him because he comes down the order.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah Mathews was easily the best batsman against the moving ball against NZ. Much more vaunted names just waved the white flag.

Xuhaib

International Coach
If Pakistan are evenly matched for SL, I feel sorry for our team.
Actually with what I saw from Angelo, Kaushal and Chandimal in the first test I feel there batting is considerably stronger then Pakistan especially if Mahela finds some form Both Angelo and Chandimal are developing better then any of our young batsmen and they all seem to read Ajmal well further compounding our troubles the only real threat to them is Juanid.I can see this series 1-0 either way.

smash84

The Tiger King
it is true...Ajmal looked quite toothless against them but it might also be that the pitch was pretty pathetic.....Pakistan scoring 383 in the first innings and then looking to match it up in the 2nd.....will have to see if the wicket in the 2nd test match offers a little more

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually with what I saw from Angelo, Kaushal and Chandimal in the first test I feel there batting is considerably stronger then Pakistan especially if Mahela finds some form Both Angelo and Chandimal are developing better then any of our young batsmen and they all seem to read Ajmal well further compounding our troubles the only real threat to them is Juanid.I can see this series 1-0 either way.
Oh yeah there's no doubt Sri Lanka have a stronger batting lineup than Pakistan; it was true/obvious before the first Test as well. The gap in the bowling is even bigger though. Bangladesh essentially have a Pakistani batting lineup and a Sri Lankan bowling attack; that's the strength of their team at the moment.

Xuhaib

International Coach
BD does not have a Younis or a Misbah though hard to accept BD and Pakistan batting is similar.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
BD does not have a Younis or a Misbah though hard to accept BD and Pakistan batting is similar.
Yeah true enough; Younis and Misbah are ahead of anything Bangladesh has to offer which means I would take Pakistan's batting ahead of them slightly. Bangladesh have four or five batsmen better than Pakistan's third best though IMO, if you exclude the players Pakistan refuse to pick for whatever reason, plus their wicket keeper is a quality batsman and they have a bloke who will bat as low as 9 in a lot of their games who has a Test ton now. I don't think there's a lot between them, certainly not at home anyway where they have a number of contributors.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Oh yeah there's no doubt Sri Lanka have a stronger batting lineup than Pakistan; it was true/obvious before the first Test as well. The gap in the bowling is even bigger though. Bangladesh essentially have a Pakistani batting lineup and a Sri Lankan bowling attack; that's the strength of their team at the moment.
:laugh:

Pak batting is bad but not that bad. At least until YK is there it is still a level above the bangers. Still a few levels below international standard though

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bangladesh probably have less **** batsman in their top 7 than Pakistan do but they also don't have anyone as good as Pakistan's best.

smash84

The Tiger King
Bangladesh probably have less **** batsman in their top 7 than Pakistan do but they also don't have anyone as good as Pakistan's best.
oh come on, you are an extremely biased bangers fan :p

@hendrix.....I haven't followed bangers in quite a while though but surely they can't be close to Australia even in home conditions?

Athlai

Not Terrible
oh come on, you are an extremely biased bangers fan :p

@hendrix.....I haven't followed bangers in quite a while though but surely they can't be close to Australia even in home conditions?
I'll give you Younis and Misbah and I will argue to the death about everyone else lol

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
HerathHerathHerathHerathHerath

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
And yeah, Matthews is a fine player, I actually think he has the potential to become a Kallis-like allrounder (not as good though) and he would add value to the team giving SL a third seamer, a very good technique as others have stated but his temperament lets him down at times and he needs a little more consistency.

I was very happy with the draw in the end, a good recovery given SL turned up to the match 2 days late, some turning wickets later in the series should help the Lankans, I'd say they are comfortably the best country at playing Ajmal tbh

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I don't think there's much between Herath and Shakib as bowlers. I do realise you and hendrix are going to eat me now though.
It's about time you stopped judging Herath on his action IMO, not every successful spinner has to put 2300 revs on the ball and bowl exactly like Ashley Mallet says you should

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting decision from Sri Lanka to bowl first, especially given they will essentially be relying on their seamers to bowl Pakistan out or make decent inroads today, at least they've picked three this time. More grass on this pitch than usual apparently, might not spin so much and the carry will be better, Sri Lanka possibly thinking batting will be easiest days 2 and 3 and they perhaps want to build a huge lead and go from there