• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting > Richard, Tendulker

A great captain is worth more than a great batsman

• I agree with you

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I dont agree with you

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Both of them are not comparable

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • It is impossible to tell the answer

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Ricky Ponting
Ricky Ponting is one of the greatest cricketer's in the history of cricket. He was a matchless captain, a remarkable batsman, a great fielder with an impressive career of 17 years.
Whenever Ponting was at his best, he destroyed all the teams, all the bowlers and all the captains with his immense attack and playing abilities. These commendable, considerable, admirable, remarkable and praiseworthy qualities are matchless in cricket. till 2010, he was the only batsman to achieve number one rating in both formats Odi and test but soon Hashim Amla arose from South Africa. He was the most successful captain in the history of cricket, both statistically and analytically.

A great Captain
As mentioned above, the most unmatched captain of the history, Ricky Ponting made a lot of captaincy records which included:
Most victories as ODI captain: 215
Second-most victories as Test captain: 45
Highest victory rate as ODI captain in more than 20 matches: 86%
Most Cricket World Cups won as captain: 2
Most consecutive Test victories won as captain: 16
Undefeated as Captain in World Cups (35 matches)

A great captain is worth more than a great batsman in this way that the ultimate aims of a player are to lead his team to victory. A player can do so as a captain more than as a batsman, bowler or all rounder.
The greater he is a captain, the greater he is a player. The players can't function well if there is lack of good captain. Hence it is useless to say that he was not a good captain rather his team was a stronger one.
It is useless to say also because all his players were added to squad by him.

As a great captain is worth more than a great batsman, Ponting was worth more than the legendary Donald Bradman and hence greater than him.

A great Batsman

He was also an uncompromising batsman that whenever unable to do with captaincy did with bat. He had an incredible strock, very amazing timing and a preposterous capability to punish the the ball. The worst misfortune was that he played 45% of his matches out of foam, the largest misfortune by any great cricketer. If wold not play these matches, he would score 10900 runs at 62 avg in tests and 11000 runs at 51 avg in odis. The other batsmen, tendulker, richard etc played 85% and 86% matches inform respectively.

Comparing Ponting with Tendulker and Richard
Attack:
Attack doesn't mean how much boundaries he hit or how many balls he played but it means that whenever he tried to hit, it was mostly a boundary. A good attacker can also be defined as he does not loose his wicket when attacking. Thats my definition of attack. Ricky Ponting once played an innings of hitting 6 sixes and no fours and that is a true attack that when tried to attack hit six. On the Other hand Tendulker lost wicket 370+ times while attacking and Ponting only did 123 times as an inform batsman. Richards has played great attacking innings but he did not know which ball is suitable to attack. He attacked all the balls.
Defence:
Ricky Ponting had an unconvincing defense which is simply accepted to be better than Richards but less better than Tendulker.

Front-Foot:
Ponting was a matchless player of front foot shots especially cover drive and on drive. He was a very good strike of ball at front foot. This quality also is not possesed by Richards and Tendulker. RIchard tried to hit front foot but was caught from boundary.
Back-Foot:
In the same way as front-foot, Ponting had a better Back foot pull shot than both of these legends.
Captaincy:
As proved above, a great captain is worth more than a great batsman, hence Ponting is worth more than these two batsmen.
Apology
I have very good writing skills and good knowledge about the bot of these as I have played cricket for 5 years and collected data for 4 years. I have a 4 years experience in computer programming and 1 year mastery over web designing. I wrote all this in 30 mins, I could not clear everything. I will update the thread soon in which everything will be cleared.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree. Ponting is indeed greater than Richard.

Their views on the first class average clash, however.

And the less said about Irish-British integration the better, I fear.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The worst misfortune was that he played 45% of his matches out of foam
I do agree. Foam is quite underrated as an agent of cricketing success. I always keep a can or two handy. The fact that Ponting appeared to neglect to take these precautions probably undermines this idea that he was the best. It's hard to see Brian Lara making this sort of mistake.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see someone finally acknowledge Ponting's incredible strock. One of the most underrated strocks in the world for mine.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Foam is actually essential for a good strock, otherwise you'll end up like Richard Tendulkar who played 100% of his matches without foam.

Last edited:

Ray.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I dun agree. Tendlya is better than Punter at batting. But yeah it's obvious that Punter is much much better captain than any of Richard and Tendlya.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Incidentally, I'm terribly sorry to hear of Richard's misfortunes when trying to hit front foot. Can you imagine a life without being able to get that pesky front foot out of your way?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard Tendulker hijacks threads about Ponting.
Hence it can be said that Tendulker is a matchless cricketer. Hence he is better than Ponting

Xuhaib

International Coach
Dawood is a highly entertaining poster unfortunatley I think he is a multi not that I would mind him being allowed to post givin the quality of posts and thread he's churining out.