• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting > Richard, Tendulker

A great captain is worth more than a great batsman

• I agree with you

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I dont agree with you

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Both of them are not comparable

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • It is impossible to tell the answer

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the threadstarter has failed to consider the excellence of Arnold Russel in his analysis. Top though it is.

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
For those who say that tendulker stats > Ponting stats.

Tendulker had more suitable conditions than Ponting. It can easily be determined by batting position. A no.3 batsman is the best as he can play both under pressure and when there's no pressure. The aussie openers tried to do every thing by themselves while The Indians made suitable conditions for Tendulker.
When openers try to do everything by themselves, they could loose wicket at any time and can play till any time. If they loose wicket earlier, all the pressure is there on the no. 3 batsman while if they play a big innings, the no. 3 batsman faces difficulty in getting settled and the same case was with Ponting.

The reason of tendulker being famous is Indian population. If Ponting would be a South Asian, he would get the most popularity achieved by and cricketer and even he could cause an ultimate increase in the rating of cricket.

Most of you disagree with my poll statement, even if they don't have an evidence.

Last edited:

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
My self written poem about ponting:-
Ricky Ponting is the best cricketer
He's one day and test cricketer
Who's best, Ponting or Lara
Ponting the best, worst is rest Cricketer
lara played a match in Australia
Ponting defeated the west cricketer
Ponting went to play with lara
Lara defeated by the guest cricketer

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
I do agree. Foam is quite underrated as an agent of cricketing success. I always keep a can or two handy. The fact that Ponting appeared to neglect to take these precautions probably undermines this idea that he was the best. It's hard to see Brian Lara making this sort of mistake.
Yes, the matches he played out of foam, imagine if he would not play them, we would never appreciate tendulker by the way we do so.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Dagwood, how do you feel about Ricky Ponting in Ashes Cricket?

Considering he lost 3 Ashes Series, do you think that he is a pretty useless Ashes Cricketer?

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Dagwood, how do you feel about Ricky Ponting in Ashes Cricket?

Considering he lost 3 Ashes Series, do you think that he is a pretty useless Ashes Cricketer?
Ponting could not win some of series in his career but tendulker lost almost half of matches in his career, what about that?
Richard also has a less win% than Ponting.
You could awaken a point that they weren't captains and that is my point that Ponting is better because he was a captain.