• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amla vs. De Villiers

The Better Bat: Amla or De Villiers

• Hashim Amla

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • AB De Villiers

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
The two best batsmen in the world, but who is the real no.1? Amla likes to say that he is not the best in the team, but is that really true?

Amla is the steady, stylish accumulator who has managed to score pretty much everywhere around the world. De Villiers had a bit of a dip when he first took over the gloves, but has appeared to regain the destructive form in the last year and has shot up the rankings.

Who is the best in current form? And who will be considered the batsman by the end of their career?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Honestly don't think I'd even have de Villiers in my World XI, and I've traditionally not been anywhere near as big on the whole "downhill skiier" thing as most.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming this is in tests? I'd say Amla, I love watching Devilliers bat but I want him to play a high quality knock against India in testing conditions (primarily spin, and no the double hundred and hundred in Ahemdabad and Centurion don't count). Devillier's defense is a bit lacking as compared to Amla, although Ab obvs a more aggressive player.

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly don't think I'd even have de Villiers in my World XI, and I've traditionally not been anywhere near as big on the whole "downhill skiier" thing as most.
I'd consider having him in mine but only if he bats six. Would definitely pick a whole bunch of bats above him.

Himannv

International Coach
I don't really rate Amla as highly as most people. I'm always surprised that he's managed to be as successful as he has been.

De Villiers is probably the better batsman although he's certainly not the best in the world imo.

subshakerz

International Coach
De Villiers was pretty excellent in the UAE against Ajmal recently, don't think he has much to prove against spin. Agree that his defense may not be as tight as Amla.

Himannv

International Coach
Isn't that where you go "hmm, maybe I should change my opinion of him"?
That's where I go; "hmm, maybe the bowlers these days aren't good enough to stop mediocre batsmen from accumulating more runs than they deserve".