Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World's best batting line up

World's best batting line up

A lot of people say Australia has the best line up and Indians say India has the best middle order. But come to think of it, the Australians are ageing and I dont see Clarke or the rest as good as the Waughs. The thing is, when I see the South African line up, they bat deep right into Boucher at nuber 8 with an average of 30. Gilly bats at number 7 but I still feel south Africa has a good under rated batting line up. Which line up do you think is the best. I have to still say Australia is the ebst though South Africa is catching up.

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    I think even without Waugh Australia's batting is scary.

I mean Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Lehmann, Katich, Gilly is just depressing for a bowler, you get the top 5 out and you still have a batsman that can score a double 100 @ 7... And the bowlers aren't terible batsman either Lee and Gillespie anyway.

India have a very very strong line up to with Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman. But IMO it just stops, if they fail they lose kinda thing, Patel is handy for a few but I don;t see a 100 anytime soon, AA is hardly relible for more than a handful of runs (God help me now )and the tail can't bat.
    Last edited by Rich2001; 02-01-2004 at 02:04 PM.

India's bigger problem has been the openers. We have Sehwag and Chopra settling right now but you can never say when they will falter. The tail has been a worry too and so India cant really be the ebst batting line up although it can score the most on a given day coz of the talent of 3-6. India is the best in the 3-6.

Australia no question is the ebst in the batting but South Africa is highly underrated. Some one coming up at number 8 with 30 does compensate for Gilly at 7 to an extent but Gilchrist, the best all time keeper batsman does indeed give the Aussies a deadly balance.

I agree with Rich. Really, once you get through those 4-5, you've got India. The bowlers can hardly bat (AA is good at select times) and the wicket keeper is also somewhat stilted at the moment.

Australia, on the other hand, as has been said, is top notch. A nightmare for any bowler. That said, the team is quite old, and personally I only reckon Ponting and Hayden as *really* good batsmen. The rest are more or less like Kirsten, Ganguly, etc. That's formidable in and of itself, though.

I agree that SA too has a really good lineup, but it just isn't to the calibre of the Aussies or the Indians, IMO.

South African batsmen are highly underrated in my opinion. There are good youngsters like Rudolph and Smith in the lineup, not to mention the McKenzies n the Gibbs. A lot of people tend to NOT think south africa as great coz of their averages. Kirsten has a test average of 45 but a first class average of 48. Thats a differential of only 3. It is because the batting in South Africa is not easy as compared to what it is in Australia.

I would like to compare the batting averages of the players in the matches played in away countries.

India has had a much more worrying factor about the openers although the tail has troubled them too. Finally the Openers r doing ok now.

The whole point is South Africa is very under rated on their line up. I have been a fan of Cronje but I believe the team under Smith now has a much better line up than in the last 5-7 years since Brian McMillan was dropped from the team.

International Coach
    But McKenzie is a weak link in the SA line up, with an average of 34. Australia have no weak links.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Australia is the strongest right now.. no question about that. Sorry, I meant Kallis. A line up of Smith,Gibbs,Kallis,Rudolph,Kirsten,Pollock n Boucher is strong. And South Africa is not known to produce great batsmen apart from the rare Graeme Pollock. The strenght is in the depth which Australia will lack even more in 1 to two years.

You need 5 bowlers to take 20 wickets unless you have Gillespie,Lee,McGrath and Warne. Such a combo is not going to last long and they are looking weak against India already(the bowling). If they require to play 5 bowlers, (and I dont see watson as a huge batting or bolwing allrounder), I doubt Australia can have a great line up of batsmen upto 7.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I'm not quite sure Rudolph is up to it yet. He's certainly talented, but hasn't had any consistency to his game. I would prefer van Jaarsveld at this point in time.

That said, we'll see how he goes after his hundred today.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Pinball Champion!
    This is the strongest SA batting lineup I have seen.. they are very classy, and very under rated.. I feel that Australia and India just pip them though..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

School Boy/Girl Captain Hero_Don's Avatar
    I would have to say that the Indian batting line-up is the best with Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar but there lower order is the worst i've ever seen.
    Skills.

Rik
    Originally posted by halsey
    But McKenzie is a weak link in the SA line up, with an average of 34. Australia have no weak links.
    He's played Warne more comfortably than I've seen anyone play him, barring any Indian batsmen. He had a bit of a slump when they attempted to turn him into an opener after a good start to his Test career (The Ramprakash Opening Effect), but he's getting it together now.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    They actually tried that in his first Test-series, in Sri Lanka. How stupid it's possible to be I don't know, but that takes the prevurvbial biscuit. Middle-order players as openers just doesn't work often enough to merit trying it.
    I've been really disappointed in McKenzie since Trent Bridge, until yesterday. He'd always been there or thereabouts, the only time he ever got a run was from the summer (winter for us) of 2000\01 to 2001\02. Then he had an in\out period, then got back in halfway through the England series, had a great game on a terrible wicket, and if he'd scored runs on the easy deck at The Oval I'm sure he'd have been secure and his average pushing 40.
    Let us hope it goes up from now on.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

IMO these are the best batting-line-ups I've ever seen:
    Kirsten
    Gibbs
    Kallis
    Cullinan
    Cronje
    Rhodes
    Boucher
    Klusener
    Pollock
    Donald
    Adams
    and:
    Blewett (Hayden's inadequecies were still being exposed in those days)
    Slater
    Langer
    M. Waugh
    S. Waugh
    Ponting
    Gilchrist
    The line-ups of today are slightly inferior to them and there is one that outstrips them:
    Das
    Sehwag
    Dravid
    Tendulkar
    Laxman
    Ganguly
    Mongia
    Of course this has never played together, though some of it has.
    Anyway, the best I've ever seen in an ODI and surely the best ever has to be:
    Ganguly
    Sehwag
    Dravid
    Tendulkar
    Laxman
    Yuvraj Singh
    Kaif
    Agarkar
    Kumble
    Srinath
    Unbeatable. And for a period they went around looking like they could beat any total you set them.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Richard
    (Hayden's inadequecies were still being exposed in those days)
    Inadequecies - funny how you keep mentioning them in a player rated as one of the best by most people, but fail to acknowledge a certain South African's no matter how many times people get him.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Yes, I've already discussed that - I think people are wrong to rate Hayden so highly, I think his flaws are far bigger than Smith's, even if he has been dismissed caught behind square 4 times out of 4 this series.
    If people made as big a deal out of Hayden's flaws as people do out of Smith's instead of heaping praise on him RLAC, maybe bowlers would exploit them more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information