• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reasons for poor death bowling

smash84

The Tiger King
Having watched the likes of Imran, 2Ws, McGrath, Donald, Pollock, Bond, Garner etc over the years there was one thing quite noticeable about their bowling. All these bowlers had a great yorker which they would use very frequently in the death overs. Watching the Pak-SA series just now I noticed that ABDV was clubbing the Pak bowlers with some awesome batting but an interesting thing to note was that the bowlers kept bowling length. ABDV finally got out to a low full toss which Junaid wanted to be a yorker.

What are the reasons that death bowling has become such a poor art and why don't the bowlers use the yorker more often nowadays?

smash84

The Tiger King
ok, my bad, Junaid bowled 5 yorkers in the last over to seal the series for Pakistan, but my point stands :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Probably a combination of execution issues (i.e. not having the requisite skills to bowl yorkers on demand), and the fact that the margin of error has now dropped lower than ever before. Low full tosses used to be decent death options (not threatening but hard to hit), but now they get slaughtered for six. Drop a fraction short of yorker length, and its a juicy half-volley that can be smacked anywhere.

With batsmen now able to scoop, paddle, take on boundary fielders with confidence and hit pretty much any ball anywhere, death bowling is arguably harder now than ever before.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A lot of those bowlers would get carted today (yes not as bad as Ishant, Vinay Kumar etc.) but its too harsh to compare what it was then to what it is now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Probably a combination of execution issues (i.e. not having the requisite skills to bowl yorkers on demand), and the fact that the margin of error has now dropped lower than ever before. Low full tosses used to be decent death options (not threatening but hard to hit), but now they get slaughtered for six. Drop a fraction short of yorker length, and its a juicy half-volley that can be smacked anywhere.

With batsmen now able to scoop, paddle, take on boundary fielders with confidence and hit pretty much any ball anywhere, death bowling is arguably harder now than ever before.
Yeah, this. Batsmen regularly sit way back in the crease at the death or walk forward a couple of steps which can turn the perfect yorker into a full toss/half volley as well.

Death bowling standards were always going to fall once ODI ATG Andrew Hall retired as well.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
We all know that the true ATG of the bits-and-pieces ODI all-rounder class was Ian Harvey. Andrew Hall has nothing on him (apart from the ability to wicketkeep, I guess)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Have told you bois countlessly how to bowl at the death. Will draw diagrams if needed.
Yeah, and I agree with your method entirely; I'm slowly trying to re-train myself into bowling medium pace yorkers two feet outside off stump in order to actually be of some use with the ball. I think I quoted one of your posts on the subject in an article I wrote, actually.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, and I agree with your method entirely; I'm slowly trying to re-train myself into bowling medium pace yorkers two feet outside off stump in order to actually be of some use with the ball. I think I quoted one of your posts on the subject in an article I wrote, actually.
Hope he got more credit than I did for your Facebook plagiarism, ****.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm far less annoyed than you think. I only keep bringing it up because you took my "complaint" so seriously. I smiled when I saw it. :p
If I thought you actually were annoyed, I wouldn't be laughing at it. I genuinely feel bad about that type of thing haha.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowlers obviously need to watch more of the top T20 league in the world (IPL). Commentators have been going on and on about bowling those yorkers outside off since ages, but not many seem to be doing it. Can recall Morkel and some NZ medium pacer doing it pretty often with success.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Stuart Broad/England in general did it pretty successfully when they won the T20 World Cup. To make it even more difficult they bowled it from right arm around the wicket to take the angle further across, ensuring the batsman couldn't just play it late down to third man. Ended up getting wided a bit when they technically shouldn't have IMO.. but they won.

Then they stopped doing it.