• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer should be dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
Justin Langer is a pathetic excuse for a cricketer, he continueously fails in his batting.

What the hell is the point of having a batsmen in your team if he only makes about 10 or so runs and then gets out. The australian selector have to closely look at the players in the team, because the are player that should be in the team ahead of him. I think the selectors must have been hit in the head alot with the ball and became brain damaged or something along that lines if they are going to keep players such as Martyn, Langer and Bracken in the team.
But thats just my opinion

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here we go again. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers what happened last time someone called for Langer's sacking on this forum, so watch out India!

Hero_Don said:
What the hell is the point of having a batsmen in your team if he only makes about 10 or so runs and then gets out.
Brilliant analysis, considering that he has a Test average of 44.30 with 16 hundreds and 20 fifties. Those 'or so' runs are a fair bit ey? 80 times passed 10...

Rich2001

International Captain
Hero_Don said:
Justin Langer is a pathetic excuse for a cricketer, he continueously fails in his batting.

What the hell is the point of having a batsmen in your team if he only makes about 10 or so runs and then gets out. The australian selector have to closely look at the players in the team, because the are player that should be in the team ahead of him. I think the selectors must have been hit in the head alot with the ball and became brain damaged or something along that lines if they are going to keep players such as Martyn, Langer and Bracken in the team.
But thats just my opinion
The same Langer who hit 58 in the last Test and 121 in the first Test... along with avg 44/5 in the last year.

Well if you don't want him iam sure alot of other countries wont say no. :saint: :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hero_Don said:
And this is a pathetic excuse for an arguement! Seriously if you want to claim that Langer and Martyn are useless, I think you'll have to find their records in table tennis or some other sport, because they have fine records and, while they don't go round scoring 100s every day of the week, they are vital components of a very strong batting side. Ever noticed how when Aus are in trouble, Martyn usually makes a quiet 70 odd?

Rich2001

International Captain
I think at the end of the day people need to give the selectors a break and just back them for a change.

I've never heard in my 2 and a half years on this forum anyone say, I don't agree 100% with the team picked but iam not supporting indivuals here iam supporting my country and whoever is picked I hope they do well and we win and just backed everyone. I swear half of you must just sit and watch your TV's hoping half you team does really bad just so they get dropped :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter who the selectors pick at the end of the day someone somewhere in the world with be against it.:rolleyes:

Langer, Martyn have the records to prove they aren't bad players and a key link within the side so why change a winning team? I mean in the last 2 years what have you guys lost 3 Tests matches... Iam Not seeing much of a problem with the side here, or iam I just blind?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
I think at the end of the day people need to give the selectors a break and just back them for a change.

I've never heard in my 2 and a half years on this forum anyone say, I don't agree 100% with the team picked but iam not supporting indivuals here iam supporting my country and whoever is picked I hope they do well and we win and just backed everyone. I swear half of you must just sit and watch your TV's hoping half you team does really bad just so they get dropped :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter who the selectors pick at the end of the day someone somewhere in the world with be against it.:rolleyes:

Langer, Martyn have the records to prove they aren't bad players and a key link within the side so why change a winning team? I mean in the last 2 years what have you guys lost 3 Tests matches... Iam Not seeing much of a problem with the side here, or iam I just blind?
Look, now if they really had not done anything, and were being picked because the selectors don't want to change a winning team when the players really are useless and don't deserve it, I'd understand. Believe me, over here in England we have to put up with it a lot. So accept that they are class players who have done a lot in the past and, actually, done quite a lot in this series. If you are still scoring runs what is the deal with having to score 100s? Now if you were calling for players like Lee, Bracken or Williams to get dropped I'd agree, because they really haven't done anything. But Langer and Martyn???

Rich2001

International Captain
Just out of intrest what would your opinions have been on R.Ponting had he had a terible series vs India.

Ok what I mean is that everyone knew Ponting was going to be named captain after Waugh but had he scored like 50 runs in the whole series how would people have felt? would they have started calling for his head and saying why was he given the captains armband... I very much doubt it and I bet the reason was because Ponting is a class act and he has proved he can do it.

So why is it when Langer has a ok series his head is called for? You would have to be a very brave selector to drop a guy who has scored a 100 and a 50 already in the 3 matches to date.

krkode

State Captain
With Hayden and Ponting making hundreds on auto-pilot (they are two very good batsmen) people have come to expect the same of everyone, it seems.

"Hayden and Ponting average 80 for they year! Why aren't Langer and Martyn doing the same!?"

I think the argument is quite ridiculous.

You can't have 6 Haydens and Pontings on your team. It's not like those two are averaging 40 and all the rest in the 20s.

MZ_RPFC

Cricket Spectator
Langer is batting across the line far too early in his innings. He's trying to be someone he's not and it's not working.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Langer is good, a good example of a converted player - used to be not so good, with far fewer shots, particularly early in his innings, now he is far more expansive and attacking and getting rewards too :) just because hes had a couple of bad series is not a reason to drop him, hes going fine now anyway.

martyn doesn't score fast enough for ODI's but for tests he scores ok, at least he scores fatser than Chopra, not that thats hard:lol:

Cloete

International Captain
age_master said:
Langer is good, a good example of a converted player - used to be not so good, with far fewer shots, particularly early in his innings, now he is far more expansive and attacking and getting rewards too :) just because hes had a couple of bad series is not a reason to drop him, hes going fine now anyway.

martyn doesn't score fast enough for ODI's but for tests he scores ok, at least he scores fatser than Chopra, not that thats hard:lol:
Martyn scores faster than Hayden and Ponting on ODI's. so you have absolutely no grounds to say that. would you just get over that! he scores fast enough! just becasue he's not a bloody new south welshman doesn't mean he doesn't deserve his spot.

he averages higher than hayden, gilchrist and ponting and scores faster than both ponting and hayden. a strike rate of 80 in ODI's is bloody brilliant coupled with and average of 43!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
Martyn scores faster than Hayden and Ponting on ODI's. so you have absolutely no grounds to say that. would you just get over that! he scores fast enough! just becasue he's not a bloody new south welshman doesn't mean he doesn't deserve his spot.

he averages higher than hayden, gilchrist and ponting and scores faster than both ponting and hayden. a strike rate of 80 in ODI's is bloody brilliant coupled with and average of 43!
(odi's)
Martyn is unable to play strokes early in his innings, apart from slogging, he makes this up by pushing alot of runs later in his innings.

i am also a strong beleiver in picking the strongest possible side, i dont care if the team is winning if there are better players around they should still be put in the side. in OD games i rate Clarke, hussey, Blewett, Hodge, Elliot, Langer and even di venuto

they all attack the bowling more right through their innings whereas martyn scores slowly and accelerates, which is something every team needs, however There someone who does this better in the Aussie team, Bevan.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
i dont care if the team is winning if there are better players around they should still be put in the side.
That has to go down as one of the most stupid posts on here in a long while.

You'd rather Australia lose and pick players you want to see, then win and pick proven players?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich2001 said:

I often think selectors receive far too much criticism.
Very rarely is a player persevered with when practically everyone is calling for his head with good backing from facts, rarely is a new selection made without the media calling for it.
No-one will ever criticise "young" players very much if you pick them (the reluctance to criticse Dawson and Peterson has especially struck me) and the calling-for-heads of Langer and Martyn is in an embryonic stage. Only with 2 or 3 more Tests of definate failure can their axing be seriously considered.

Andre

International Regular
This is a ridiculous thread.

For starters, name an opener who will do better than him inj Australia?

There isn't exactly an embarrasment of riches in the opening stocks out here.

PY

International Coach
Langer has a good record and form. Why drop him?

A_M, you said that he started playing more aggressive and stuff but did he really need to? With Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist et al around going at strike rate of 70+, I don't think other people need to bat fast.

I truly believe Australia are going to miss Waugh a great deal more than people appreciate because there isn't anyone about to anchor down and completely seal one end down. None of the replacements have that grit about them that I've seen.

Therefore, Langer should be kept in. He's adds balance.

Eclipse

International Debutant
It just show's how strong Australian cricket has been.

I mean it's crazy to think of droping Justin Langer most team's would Kill for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.