• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank your country's commentary team

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
*** me Sky NZ are worse than ever these days;

Smithy's reached an all-time low in terms of sensationalising any NZ player who shows even the slightest bit of promise into the next Bradman/Sobers. He's always been biased but *** me he makes Ian Healy seem bearable these days and on top of that has lost almost all touch of what actually happens in a game of cricket.

There's Kenny Rutherford, who seems like a good bloke but what a horrendously boring ass commentator, the master of stating the bleeding obvious with the most monotone voice imaginable. Then there's newcomer Nathan McCullum who seems to be right out of the Rutherford school.

Then to top it off we have our Australian representation for the summer. Could they have found a more boring addition than Alan Border? Great player, but let's be honest, he's not a commentators asshole.

When Doull, Rigor and Cumming seems relatively good in comparison, you know it's a pretty *** state of affairs.

It's radio sport/alternate radio commentary for this poster for the rest of the summer.

Of ex-players Jeetan Patel and or Iain O'Brien are 2 chaps they should be targeting, both actually quite articulate and interesting.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
SABC commentary:

Mluleki Ntsabo: 0/10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZsqLVi8LA he seems to be a great guy but he absolutely isn't cut out for commentary.

Alviro Petersen: 2/10. Has a bit of insight as a former player but also not cut out for the commentary box. Often makes basic grammatical errors like using are instead of is.

Makhaya Ntini: 2/10. His actual commentary is -1/10 but I'll give him a few points because it is sometimes hilarious listening to him. He's so inappropriate as a commentator, which has been taking the edge off of the sombre nature of our recent performances.

Natalie Germanos: 5/10. She's solid enough. Absolutely nothing spectacular but at least she holds her own.

Neil Manthorp: 7/10. Perhaps its because of his colleagues, but he always stands out as someone who is actually talented behind the mic. Somewhat soothing voice, and a wealth of knowledge and experience to go off of. I haven't always agreed with him, but in the midst of the circus that is the SABC commentary team, he seems to be a rock.

Herschelle Gibbs: 2/10. Has some game knowledge, but probably averages 2 cliches per sentence. You also tend to feel that he could say something wildly inappropriate at any point, particularly given how often the commentators show attractive women in the crowd.

Ray Jennings: 5.5/10. He actually is pretty insightful, but he sometimes tends to develop tunnel vision and show significant bias towards certain players.

Udo Carelse: 4/10. Quirky, somewhat funny, but often feels like he's there to make jokes more than to cover the cricket.

Host - Kass Naidoo: 8/10. After leaving the commentary team for a few years to work at CSA, she's returned, and what a breath of fresh air she has been. She really is quite brilliant at keeping the conversation going, particularly given that some of the commentators she guides are pretty dire.

All in all, I'd recommend turning the sound off unless the duo is two of Jennings, Manthorp and Germanos.

MrPrez

International Debutant
PS: I'm probably being too nice to the ones who are 4 or more out of 10, but because of their competition, the gap seems fair.

Zinzan

I rate Barry Richards as one the best best going around, but they seem to have lost him to overseas networks.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Allan Border is the Wally Lewis of cricket - ie legendary player, boring as absolute **** commentator who constantly points out the bleeding obvious.

Smithy is probably nails on a chalkboard to some but I won't have it said he makes Ian Healy bearable. Morphine wouldn't make Ian Healy bearable.

Ken Rutherford is atrocious. It's obvious he watches FA cricket. Said Mitch Marsh generally operates in the mid 120s to 130 at max the other day. He just doesn't know anything, too busy studying horses.

But honestly after CH9's team, it's all a breath of fresh air.

The one that makes me laugh the most is when McGoldrick interviews her husband and they pretend like they've never met each other.

Zinzan

The one that makes me laugh the most is when McGoldrick interviews her husband and they pretend like they've never met each other.
Tbf, not that I'm a fan of McGoldrick at all, but she can hardly ask him if he's going to mow the lawn on his day off can she?

MrPrez

International Debutant
I rate Barry Richards as one the best best going around, but they seem to have lost him to overseas networks.
Richards would have worked for Supersport, not SABC. Supersport is the main sports broadcaster in SA; SABC is the free-TV network.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbf, not that I'm a fan of McGoldrick at all, but she can hardly ask him if he's going to mow the lawn on his day off can she?
Haha I know, it's probably how it has to be. It's just so bizarre to me. Then again, Gup is the epitome of a cliched cricketing interview so she's not working with much, and her best work is interviewing 8 year olds and who they want to win. So I dunno. It just makes me laugh. I'm not suggesting they should pash or anything.

Flem274*

123/5
she so should

i don't have an issue with border. in fact im ecstatic they didn't bring over slater for once and border's quiet calm commentary is very welcome.

i felt sorry for ken rutherford when he had to commentate on his son's slow death as a test opener.

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't think countries have official commentary teams do they?

However as channel commentary teams go, I just hate the coverage on Sky England. Their commentators never make any sense. Holding is all about 'his days' commentator and can't stop talking about how things were done when he was playing. Botham is biased as hell, as in Vaughan. Nasser Hussain is neutral, but he is just way over-analytical, always talking about doing things because some stats say so.

Bumble and Gower are definitely plus.

Sky NZ guys I quite like. They are neutral in their commentary, and generally appreciate the other side doing well. Plus they don't live in a cocoon around just NZ cricket. If you listen to Sky England guys, its like no cricket exists outside of Eng, and therefore their commentary score is just very very narrow. Sky NZ commentary covers a much wider span, and that coupled with its neutral tone,makes it quite okay to listen too. Danny Morrison though ... !!

I don't fully know who covers Pakistan cricket, but Rameez Raja is about the only one I can listen to. Listening to the rest of their commentary team, its clear that they are not talking in their first language and are handicapped from that in fully expressing their views, thereby limiting the experience a little bit. But that restriction is understandable. Rameez Raja I remember used to be biased a lot when he started, but over the years he has toned down that bias and generally improved his presence in the commentary room, to atleast have a positive presence on air.

SL commentary team Russel Arnold (I really don't recall who else are there) is the only one I recall, and bias is something I can never accuse him of. He is neutral and lively in the comm box. I can enjoy when he is on air

WI Team - Again, I like listening to them, they are neutral in their commentary and dont live in a cocoon. Their commentary is wholesome, and they appreciate the opposition doing well.

Ind Commentary team on Star again suffer from bias and are very India centric. Their bias is both positive and negative. If India do well they are over top with their praise to the point of being unbearable for any neutrals to hear. If India is losing then they are so overcritical, that its like listening to a group of depressed puppies doing commentary, and that is never fun for anyone. In addition they suffer from the fact that English is again a second language for them. While the names they have are some of the legends, like Gavaskar and Akram, and Laxman, but they all speak in their second language and are thus limited in their conversations. Gavaskar is okay, but Akram is definitely a bit limited.

Laxman is just unbearable though. All his sentences take the form of "what a great shot that was" or "what a great effort that was". He was a fine batsman, but he clearly suffers from English not being his first language. Its a good thing Ravi Shashtri is not on air these days.

Aus Channell 9 commentary team can go both ways. They have some commentators that are biased, and arrogant beyond belief on air. Ian Healy is just the worst, but there are other Australian commentators who are definitely exceptions. Mark Nicholas is definitely one gem. I enjoy listening to him on air, and even Dean Jones, he can go over the top, but atleast he is over the top trying to be entertaining. Plust Dean Jones gets context, and his commentary is always tailored for his audience. If he is doing commentary for Austarlians he gives the Australian perspective, if for Indian viewers he does what Indian viewers would like to hear and so on. Mark Nicholas also has this feature. This is the exact opposite of what I have referred to as cocoon commentary earlier in this post.

SA commentary guys are again good to listen to on air. Mostly neutral, they are very welcoming for all opposition, and have some of the best guys doing commentary. Smith and Pollock, Pollock especially, what a player and what a humble man.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Will list out the best of each country and try and rate them (and by each country I mean where they ply their trade most often and where that is ambiguous their country of representation):

England - Holding - straightforward, no-nonsense and a baritone to die for - 8/10. I have always found N Hussain and Atherton to be rather pricks with a condescending note.
Australia - Bill Lawry - 5/10 - Yeah sort of sums up the state of affairs of Channel 9 commentary team. Ian Healy is like the Ed Wood of cricketing commentary. So bad he's good.
WI - Ian Bishop - 6/10. Again a bit of bias here maybe, as I really used to like and sympathise with his career.
Ind - Sunil Gavaskar - 6/10. Again sums up the direness of the commentators largely there. Gavaskar might be one sided but generally he offers some insights. Also he does not try to imitate western commentators like wannabe subcontinent ones want to.
Pakistan - Dire dire dire. Nobody really to rate.
SL - Lol
Bangladesh - LMAO
SA- Shaun Pollock - 5/10 - Might be not exactly a stand out commentator but at least he is not ridiculous.
Zim - :?
NZ - need to think on this.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Bishop is miles better than Holding who talks rubbish these days.

Actually, Bishop is probably the best commentator in the world IMO.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Best commentator from each country

India: Manjrekar
Pakistan: Waqar
SL: Arnold (He's the best from Asia atm)
England: Nass
West Indies: Holding (better than Bishop imo)
SA: Shaun
Zimbabwe: Mbangwa
Australia: has to be Ian Chappell sadly - easily the worst among people named in this list
NZ and Bangladesh: mute button on your remote

Last edited:

vcs

Best commentator from each country

India: Manjrekar
Pakistan: Waqar
SL: Arnold (He's the best from Asia atm)
England: Nass
West Indies: Holding (better than Bishop imo)
SA: Shaun
Zimbabwe: Mbangwa
Australia: has to be Ian Chappell sadly - easily the worst among people named in this list
NZ and Bangladesh: mute button on your remote
Yeah, these are all good shouts, though I don't like Arnold much. Guess he's better than Ranjit Fernando, though.

I actually like Chappell, hardly ever seems to commentate much these days though.

Compton

International Debutant
Nasser and Athers are the best, clearly.

Not sure why people rate Holding as a commentator. His voice is marvellous but he uses it to spout nonsense.