• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank your country's commentary team

Howe_zat

Audio File
Warne is the only one who I find completely unbearable no matter what channel he's on.

If anyone posted here like Warne commentates they'd be banned

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm always shocked how a once in a lifetime bowling genius like Warne shows himself to have less brain cells than a bug every time he speaks. Just so funny that this sporting great is such a bogan

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na Warne is only ever good in short segments in a more documentary style. Is a genuinely intelligent cricketer and interesting bloke, just needs someone to be making an effort at presenting him in that way.

Is and has always been a woeful commentator. Doesn't know how to fill the air.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Na Warne is only ever good in short segments in a more documentary style. Is a genuinely intelligent cricketer and interesting bloke, just needs someone to be making an effort at presenting him in that way.

Nope incorrect. Was class throughout the 09 Ashes.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

He started out as a wonderful, insightful commentator. No one reads a game like him.

The thing with the CH9 commentary box, it's like sitting next to the class clowns at school. Even if you started as the exemplary student, you'll eventually get worn down by the muppets around you and begin operating at their level. It happened to Warne, happened to Brayshaw and it happened to Taylor, who once brought his insight as a Test captain (and a damn good one) but is now reduced to saying 180 in a stupid darts voice and calling Michael Slater 'Cadel'. Most likely when you sit next to Ian Healy for any length of time, it's like a knowledge hoover sucking it out never to be regained. It's almost like if you offer something insightful and well-researched, the rest of them are annoyed for fear you'll raise the bar.

Then you switch on Ten's BBL coverage and it is outstanding. Couldn't be more contrasted. Guys like Brayshaw, Warne, Taylor could go into that environment and be very good. But they go into Nein's box and turn into giggling fools.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He started out as a wonderful, insightful commentator. No one reads a game like him.

The thing with the CH9 commentary box, it's like sitting next to the class clowns at school. Even if you started as the exemplary student, you'll eventually get worn down by the muppets around you and begin operating at their level. It happened to Warne, happened to Brayshaw and it happened to Taylor, who once brought his insight as a Test captain (and a damn good one) but is now reduced to saying 180 in a stupid darts voice and calling Michael Slater 'Cadel'. Most likely when you sit next to Ian Healy for any length of time, it's like a knowledge hoover sucking it out never to be regained. It's almost like if you offer something insightful and well-researched, the rest of them are annoyed for fear you'll raise the bar.

Then you switch on Ten's BBL coverage and it is outstanding. Couldn't be more contrasted. Guys like Brayshaw, Warne, Taylor could go into that environment and be very good. But they go into Nein's box and turn into giggling fools.
I remember even when Warne was with the sky team in the 09 Ashes. He was still dreadfully unfunny, would go on and on and on about field settings being wrong and could be very awkward. However he excelled at analysis and would probably be used to great effect as the 3rd commentator in the Sky setup.

He was never a great commentator though. It's definitely a hard job. I think Warne struggles a bit with finding things to talk about and waffles a bit. When hes actually trying to tell you something like in one of his masterclasses, it's a different story.

Midwinter

State Captain
Is it common consensus that Tony Greig/Richie were the best ever?
Ritchie was gold on the BBC which is why the Poms like him so much

But on C9 Benaud/Grieg/Lawry and co were exactly the same as the current commentators - entertainment aimed at people who don't know /not interested in cricket pitched at a primary school level between promoting C9 tv shows and selling merchandise.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Richie was terribad post 2000 or so. I honestly thought the ESPNStar Commentary team at that time were much better. And then there was a time when C9 was producing the test coverage from India for Doordarshan. We had Tony Greig and Ian Chappell come over here and commentate along with Sanjay Manjrekar and Arun Lal. At the time, I thought they were just average but looking back, it was MUCH better than any commentary we see around the cricket world right now.

Marius

International Debutant
Graeme Smith has been pretty good actually. Think he's still not enough of a neutral, but I've enjoyed his commentary.

Shaun Pollock and HD Ackerman are also pretty good. I think that this may be enough to get me lynched on this site and elsewhere, but I don't mind Pommie Mbangwa either.

Goolam Bodi commentated on a couple of RAM Slam games and he is dire.

Spark

Global Moderator
Interested to know if commentators get any form of training these days. I think Richie worked as a journalist and also undertook television courses at the BBC prior to his commentary career and his professionalism always showed. Others like Bill Lawry, Tony Greig, Kerry O'Keefe, Geoff Boycott, Michael Holding etc were able to develop their own distinctive styles and forthright opinions.

Particularly on TV these days commentators seem to be chosen based exclusively on their achievements on the field. No doubt they have great knowledge on the game but too often they struggle to convey much beyond the obvious, and in a bland style anyway which is a shame.

With channel 9, instead of an interesting mix of perspectives we have a 1990s batting line up: Slater / Taylor / Brayshaw / Healy etc. Sky is similar to be fair: Atherton / Knight / Butcher / Hussain / Botham etc though generally I find them a bit better. Perhaps it is the direction of Ch 9 that needs to change.

Would love to see something like Dennis Cometti / Greg Matthews / SCG MacGill / Isa Guha / Damien Fleming / Michael Clarke / Chappelli / Lisa Sthalekar on Ch 9.
Gerard Whateley just started doing Tests on ABC radio; he's a journalist/professional commentator by trade. His cricket views have been a bit naff at times, but his training and background really shows when he's doing commentary.

howardj

International Coach
Dear God it's cringeworthy when Healy tries to communicate with the players via the Commentary Ear. It's lame that they listen to Channel 9 firstly, and just plain funny that Healy thinks it's cool