Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Rank your country's commentary team

Richie Benaud - 4: Was the best, is now pretty senile. Probs shouldn't be commentating still.

Bill Lawry - 7: Quite like Bill. He doesn't add much insight into the game but brings excitement to it, which is more than half the job done.

Ian Chappell - 6.5: Pretty good insight most of the time, but has a bit of a boring drawl.

Mark Taylor - 7: Decent insight, decent excitement, but is too 'wholesome, family fun' for my liking.

Ian Healy - 3: Annoys the **** out of me. Comes across as an absolute try-hard. Only redeeming quality is when he actually provides good insight into his own craft of wicketkeeping.

Shane Warne - 6 : I don't mind him most of the time, and he has some interesting stuff to say about the game, but he is awful when he starts going off on unrelated tangents or goes on the defensive.

Mark Nicholas - 4: Annoys me, but less so than Healy. Tries too hard, and his sycophancy towards the Australian team really grates me for some reason.

Michael Slater - 5: Ok all-round, but is a bit of an bonehead and gets too biased and emotional a lot of the time.

James Brayshaw - 0: Total blokey garbage. No insight, bad voice, no redeeming qualities.

Tony Greig - A bit quiet these days.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Ian Smith 6/10 - a solid pair of hands (excuse the pun) in the leadership role, even if he isn't shy of letting everyone know who his favourites are (have we confirmed that Ross Taylor is his god son?)
    Mark Richardson 4/10 - would probably score higher if it wasn't for his execrable performances on The Crowd Goes Wild.
    Craig McMillan 1/10 - needs Danny Morrison to make him look decent. That just about says it all.
    Simon Doull 7/10 - in spite of what a few posters on here seem to think, I find Doull quite likeable, and he's also pretty solid on the technical aspects of bowling.
    Francis Payne 0/10 - a voice made for silent cinema.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Has anyone ever heard Imran comment? How was he?
    Imran used to speak like he is still captaining the team. You knew he had complete command over what he was talking about - for example, during the Spring 1999 Sharjah Tournament, he was commentating in the final and pointing out some points about Venkatesh Prasad's bowling but he was talking more like a captain selecting his bowlers for the match than like a commentator. Overall not bad. The novelty factor alone was good enough. I personally enjoyed his commentary having grown up watching him as my favourite cricketer.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Anyway, my rankings for NZ:

Danners Danny Morrison - 0/10 HYPERBOLE!!! MAXIMUM!!! AGHHGIYFA(TR*FIHV! **** OFF.
    Simon Doull - 4/10 Occasionally says something insightful. Generally full of ****.
    Craig McMillan - 2/10 Stick to coaching. Adds nothing.
    Ian Smith - 2/10 It'd be preferable to have the old (and dead) Rhodie in the commentary box, because Smithy is full of trite soundbites and bugger all else. Frankly, he's better as a sideline rugby guy.
    Mark Richardson - 5/10 Cynical but acceptable. Has a beguiling sense of gallows humour at times which suits the currently risible NZ cricket team
    Shane Bond - X/10 Bland bland bland. Hard to score someone who says nothing.
    We talk about t20 cricket ruining batsmen and bowlers, but I think it also ruins commentators like Doull and Morrison. Morrison isn't a total moron despite striving to sound like one nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Forgot to add Manjrekar. Might well be the best Indian commentator around. Was awesome in the match point segment on cricinfo and his technical knowledge is pretty impressive.
    I think this just goes to show that the standard of commentary for many commentators probably depends more on the role they've been given and the audience they're playing to. The Bhogle radio/TV thing that Jono brought up is an another example. People watching match companion videos on cricinfo are a much, much more refined audience than the wide net TV broadcasters are trying to cast, and this counts for double when it comes to Indian commentators because they're ever so gagged by the BCCI on various issues, so Manjrekar comes across much better to diehard fans like us when he does the cricinfo thing.

Michael Slater is another example; he was great on Foxtel when he was givien a freer reign to talk shop on a subscription channel only covering domestic games, but Channel Nine have giving him the extremely annoying role (from a personal perspective obv) of bridging the game to the younger audience and hyping up the excitement value of players like Warner. He's worth so much more than that as an analyst but Nine don't need another analyst for ratings purposes. Even Mark Nicholas seemed much more insightful when he had a lead role as a technical commentator in the England/Australia A game - again, slightly different audience and a different role for him with a lot of the commentators sitting out.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 25-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.
    Jono likes this.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    The worst part is I think the broader audience would actually lap up all the in depth analysis.
    Jono likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Very small commentary team from Pakistan and none of them is too flash

Wasim 6/10 Brings interesting points regarding fast bowling and the general outlook of teams. Also has pretty good anecdotes to share
    Waqar 5/10 Same as above but minus the anecdotes
    Ramiz 5/10 Lots of variation in his commentary. Sometimes he is decent with a little bit of insights on the game and other times quite **** so an average score.

@Agent, yes have heard Imran comment. He isn't very exciting in the commentary box but adds a lot of value in terms of his reading of the game which is very good. You can grab some of his commentary if you see the highlights of the Pak-WI 1993 series that Rob has uploaded
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Andre loves Manjrekar.
    Jono likes this.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Really do wonder if Andre would change his mind now though, considering Manjrekar is analysing the game moreso than he ever did previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Has anyone ever heard Imran comment? How was he?
    He doesn't do commentary much, does he? I do remember in 1996 world cup he was in the box during the famous Prasad/Sohail incident. It was hilarious how Imran went from "he's very good competitor" to "quite unnecessary" in space of one ball.

Imran doesn't come across as very nuteral or impassionate whenever I have heard him on talk shows.
    Last edited by ankitj; 25-11-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    OverratedSanity and coolkuna like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    ABC Radio

Agnew = 7.5 - chatty style and unbiased makes him a quality commentator
    Jim Maxwell = 7 - has been around since the early 70s, can become excited when there in no need. 'he smashes that ball, what a shot. and the batsman take a single'.
    Kerry O'Keefe = 7 - funny, which is entertaining but makes some big statements writing off players who then score a ton or take a Michelle
    Geoff Lawson = 6 - knows his stuff but can be too negative on occasions
    Border = 7 some good insights and more than happy to talk about his own career and experiences

Channel 9 - commentators seem to be more an more over the top trying to make everything exciting. I like Ian Chappell though
    You know it makes sense.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    He doesn't do commentary much, does he? I do remember in 1996 world cup he was in the box during the famous Prasad/Sohail incident. It was hilarious how Imran went from "he's very good competitor" to "quite unnecessary" in space of one ball.

That was hilarious!
    It was actually I'm the space of about two seconds or so. When the replay showing Sohail pointing the bat at Prasad came on he was practically giggling at the situation.
    He wasn't that good even apart from that though
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Just heard Wasim Akram refer to the drinks break as a water break.
    "Everyone was anticipating the water break"
    Oh dear

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Just heard Wasim Akram refer to the drinks break as a water break.
    "Everyone was anticipating the water break"
    Oh dear
    You're watching cricket? Which game?

SuperSport

Mpumelelo Mbangwa : 9/10 - Clean pure voice, his moments of excitement are good value. Knows the game well.
    Robin Jackman : (7/10) - Old Jackers getting on a bit now. Enjoy his stories from his Surrey days, Rhodesia days and WP days but the smokes and whisky has effected his health and in turn the scratchy voice. But still worth a good listen.
    Kepler Wessels: (7/10) - Might be a big biased c**t to some but the bloke says what is on his mind and doesn't hold back. Can make for some good listening. He was a shrewd captain and knows the game inside out.
    Shaun Pollock: (9/10) - My personal favourite. His jokes can be corky but love his bowling analysis. Think a lot of people respect his comm work already in a short space of time.
    HD Ackerman: (8/10) - All round good guy. Can overthink things possibly and the negative jokes about himself can be a bit much. But loves the game, knows the game well and generally speaks a good game.
    Mike Haysman: (6/10) - Used to like the guy and used like his comm work. Maybe the time in States has dropped him off a bit. Not sure what it is but he gets irritating sometimes listening to him now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information