• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin the Bad?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sachin the Bad?

After 24 years India's favourite son has played his last Test and amidst emotional scenes almost left centre stage with a fairytale century. In this feature Martin recalls an old controversy

harsh.ag

It should have been evident to a pragmatic official that giving a ban to a man like Tendulkar without overwhelming proof and without having spoken to him first would end up a massive nuisance. I mean, you expect a certain degree of diplomacy from every official of every large international body operating on a multi-national scale.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I do have a bit of sympathy for Denness because of the way he was treated by the media and by the usual suspects who used the race card to question his motives.
What wasn't in doubt at all was the double standards in the judgement, which Denness probably didn't have control over as the south Africans who were pretty bad as well, weren't even reported. I actually thought, even back then that Tendulkar had picked the seam, bit he quite obviously deserved the benefit of the doubt.

Where Denness essentially dropped the ball wasn't necessarily in punishing the players but more in not judging properly what the consequences of such a heavy penalty on half the team would be. An uproar was inevitable and he Shouldve considered how biased the sentence would look like.

fredfertang

I do have a bit of sympathy for Denness because of the way he was treated by the media and by the usual suspects who used the race card to question his motives.
What wasn't in doubt at all was the double standards in the judgement, which Denness probably didn't have control over as the south Africans who were pretty bad as well, weren't even reported. I actually thought, even back then that Tendulkar had picked the seam, bit he quite obviously deserved the benefit of the doubt.

Where Denness essentially dropped the ball wasn't necessarily in punishing the players but more in not judging properly what the consequences of such a heavy penalty on half the team would be. An uproar was inevitable and he Shouldve considered how biased the sentence would look like.
I do wish I'd asked him about this when I spoke to him. I had a couple of conversations with him about Amiss and he was incredibly helpful - I decided then that I was going to write about this and, hopefully, get a bit of a coup out of him, but within a couple of weeks he was gone - he sounded in fine fettle when I spoke to him too - was a bit surreal to open up cricinfo and see the news of his death

harsh.ag

Yeah, I remember his tribute thread on CW where you mentioned you had recently spoken to him. Must have felt a bit surreal to you.