• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should replace Steve Waugh ??

Who should replace Steve Waugh in the Aussie lineup ?

• Darren Lehmann

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Michael Clarke

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Martin Love

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Brad Hodge

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Michael Hussey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shane Watson

• Marcus North

• other

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well assuming the Australian Test XI in Sri Lanka will be -
1.Langer
2.Hayden
3.Ponting*
4.Martyn
5.Katich
6.?????
7.Gilchrist+
8.Lee
9.Warne/MacGill (tiny chance of both)
10.Gillespie
11.McGrath

So who should come in at 6 to replace Waugh , there are 4 or 5 realistic contenders plus a few outsiders , if they wanted to play 5 bowlers then Shane Watson could be a remote chance.

Personally I'd want Lehmann there , he's a superb player on the slow wickets & has handled Murali well in the past , I really beleive he has a huge part to play if Australia is to finally triumph in Sri Lanka & India later in the year.

I also hope they have faith in Warne despite his lack of match practice , I dont think that MacGill is up to it (at least not as our sole frontline spinner) & although it may take Warne a while to get back into things Im sure he'll be able to repay the faith.
(Also he only need 29 to overtake Courtney Walsh , but Murali is catching up on him so if he dosent play in that series he may well be 3rd man to 500 :( )

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Lehmann should be given first shot if he is fit. He did score 3 centuries in 2003. It is not his fault that he is injured.

MZ_RPFC

Cricket Spectator
sachintendulkar said:
mj clarke
Thanks for your in depth input in this discussion. Personally I'd like to see Michael Clarke given a go in the test level. He is a very young and talented batsman.

krkode

State Captain
Waugh is forever irreplacable, but if some lesser mortal were to take his place, I would think Lehman for now. But if you're thinking of the next world cup and things like that, go for Clarke or Love. (didn't Love do really well on test debut and now he's suddenly out?)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Yep, Im going for Clarkey. Hes worth the risk. Even M Waugh thinks so:lol:

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'd personally go for Clarke, but I think they'll probably give Lehmann the nod if he can pile on the runs when he returns for the Redbacks.

Craig

World Traveller
krkode said:
Waugh is forever irreplacable, but if some lesser mortal were to take his place, I would think Lehman for now. But if you're thinking of the next world cup and things like that, go for Clarke or Love. (didn't Love do really well on test debut and now he's suddenly out?)
Simple Love cant bowl. In no disrespect to Love - I'm a big fan (He is probably the only Queenslander I truely support).

Unless he is going to unwinds his off spinners he alledgy able to bowl.

He has had two very good seasons for Queensland. Love was one of the main reasons why Australia won in that Test.

He is simply in the wrong place wrong time, his misson will be to outscore anybody and everybody. Pretend he is Sir Jack Hobbs (Surely the most extorndary batsman off all time?) or something.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Certainly is an extraordinary feat no doubting that , however not quite as extraordinary as Bradman IMO.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Martin Love is my bet. I hope Lehmann gets in ahead of Katich, better batsman, better bowler...

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
I doubt Love will get in the team ahead of Clarke, and I dont want Lehmann to regain his place in the side because IMO hes is old and slow, and plus Katich is a better bowler

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's amazing how Mike Hussey has scored buckets of runs for season after season and then some youngster named Clarke comes around and has a couple of good seasons and is suddenly regarded above him. What a cruel game.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It's amazing how Mike Hussey has scored buckets of runs for season after season and then some youngster named Clarke comes around and has a couple of good seasons and is suddenly regarded above him. What a cruel game.
Actually he's only had one above average season.

Actually can anyone give me a valid reason why Clarke should get picked? Especially over players like Hussey and Love and Lehmann? Not only is his record inferior, he's also totally unproven. I'm dead sure Don is wrong here when he says Love won't get in ahead of Clarke. The Australian selectors will go for experiance I'm sure.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
Actually can anyone give me a valid reason why Clarke should get picked? Especially over players like Hussey and Love and Lehmann? Not only is his record inferior, he's also totally unproven.
Clarke is not totally unproven. He's batted beautifully in his ODI chances. Yes, he's not yet to play a Test, but no one does before they debut (to be completely obvious :P).

I agree that he's not a guaranteed success at Test level, but he certainly deserves the chance to prove if he is.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Clarke is not totally unproven. He's batted beautifully in his ODI chances. Yes, he's not yet to play a Test, but no one does before they debut (to be completely obvious :P).

I agree that he's not a guaranteed success at Test level, but he certainly deserves the chance to prove if he is.
He is totally unproven in that on the few times when he's had pressure put on him in ODIs he's failed, and also since when did OD cricket bare any relation to Test cricket? Just look at Michael Vaughan for a lesson that England still haven't learned.

Clarke hasn't even proven himself in domestic FC cricket, so why should he get into the Test team over people who have?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik have you actually watched Michael Clarke bat?

He's got superb technique and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get a chance in Test cricket. He hasn't done anything wrong for Australia so far.

I don't think you'll ever give Clarke credit... like Harmison.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hero_Don said:
I doubt Love will get in the team ahead of Clarke
Why not?

He was ahead of Clarke in the pecking order and in his Tests so far averages 46.60.

Tell exactly what he's done wrong for Australia to relegate him below some wet behind the ears kid who doesn't seem to be repeating last season's form?

Rich2001

International Captain
I agree with what Liam said, M.Hussey has to be one of the unluckest players in Australia he regularly scores hatfuls of runs each season and still about 5 players are ahead of him in the pecking order.

Personally iam sure if Lehmann is fit he will play, like someone said his had a fantastic 2003 and it wasn't his fault he got a injury.

However just food for thought, what's the chances of Lehmann and (Fill Name Here) both playing? Katich has had a good start to Test cricket but alot of people seem to have it in for him, if Lehmann was back they wouldn't need Katich's bowling as much as they do now and could someone knock him out of the side on his batting performances alone?

IMO Lehmann and Katich should play.