• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daemon learns to cricket

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure if it's just me, but of late I've been noticing an increase in the amount of talk about the technical aspect of the game. Now sometimes I try and contribute to make me feel better about myself as compared to the hordes of illiterate posters that dwell in the Youtube and Cricinfo comments section, but I'm only ~5 years into cricket and other than the most basic of basics, I'm nearly always talking out my arse or borrowing the opinions of others. I'm pretty sure a number of people must be doing this as well (eg a certain poster recently claimed Ojha is a one paced bowler), and I've seen posts in the past where people say "batsmen x was dropped because he had technical issues" without elaborating, because quite clearly they had no idea either.

So anyways, this is a thread for me to ask simple, basic questions so I can actually learn about the game.

First up, ****s be saying that hilf's (iirc) action was very 'low' back in 1867 and since then he's corrected it. Because I didn't want to sound like a noob, I didn't ask and try to find out what that means and why it's a bad thing, but I'm pretty much clueless.

Another thing is driving your hips through, wrt to fast bowling. Can someone explain it to me? NFI what it means.

Sorry if this is all assumed knowledge to most of you guys but I never engaged in cricket talk of a technical nature before joining this forum, and when I did play cricket it was just the basics.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
When I bowl the only technical thing I really think about is "get your arm up" (along with seam position). Generally speaking, the higher I release the ball from, the better I bowl.

From memory, Hilf was bowling with a real round arm style for a while there, which was negating his natural skill (swing). Hilf and I are pretty similar bowlers in our respective grades (obv he is about 20 times better than me though).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
When I bowl the only technical thing I really think about is "get your arm up" (along with seam position). Generally speaking, the higher I release the ball from, the better I bowl.

From memory, Hilf was bowling with a real round arm style for a while there, which was negating his natural skill (swing). Hilf and I are pretty similar bowlers in our respective grades (obv he is about 20 times better than me though).

Daemon

It was especially great because soon after Ojha pushed one through to get either Shillingford or Best LBW.

Besides, your idol Ashwin bowls at pretty much the same speeds :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Another thing is driving your hips through, wrt to fast bowling. Can someone explain it to me? NFI what it means.
I can't really answer this directly wrt fast bowling, but I know when I'm trying to bowl spin (leggies in particular) that my bowling improves instrumentally when I drive through with the back hip. It's essentially a way of forcing a bit more momentum through the crease. In terms of my leggies, it creates a stronger 'pivot' on the front foot, which lets you get more pace on the ball without resorting to bowling darts - you can increase the speed without losing nearly as much flight as if you did it through the shoulder.

AFAIK (and I'm more than willing to be corrected on any of this, I may very well be one of those blokes talking out of his arse), in terms of pace bowling it makes you more explosive through the crease - keeping your front knee straight and driving through the crease with your back hip adds extra pace.

So yeah, its a case of maximising your momentum towards the batsman more than anything else.

Spikey

just trying to think of some common stuff that's been mentioned on here that might require explaining. Two that come to mind

Playing away from the body (Common criticism of Smitteh)
Choking the bat handle (Brumby's common criticism of Usman)
Everything about Phil Hughes technique

ajdude

International Coach
just trying to think of some common stuff that's been mentioned on here that might require explaining. Two that come to mind

that'd be three spikey

Daemon

Yeah, Phil Hughes is another one. Everyone says he's gone away and worked on something, but I have nfi what was the problem at the start and what it is now (something to do with the short ball?). All I know is that he's absolute ****house against spin. Sort of takes a half step and pokes at it instead of getting forward and playing it under his eyes.

Choking the bat handle might refer to holding the bottom hand too tightly as opposed to using it to guide your strokes?

Daemon

Giving out free likes to those who answer ftr, incentives to get this thread going.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Playing away from the body is problematic in a few areas:

- Your head (and hence eyes) are a long way from the ball, which means you aren't in the best position to see what the ball is doing or know what line it's on
- Your arms, by virtue of being a long way from your centre of gravity, aren't as easy to control - they might only be fractionally out of position, but a fraction is all it takes to turn a defensive shot from being middled to mid off or edged to second slip.
- By virtue of said arms being away from the centre of gravity, you can lose balance somewhat
- This is all generally associated with a lack of footwork - plonking your front foot down in front of middle-and-off means you have to play with your hands, meaning you're vulnerable to anything that moves off the straight (away to catch the edge, anything nipping back between bat and pad)

So basically it results in balance issues and an inability to cover late movement.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as Hughes goes, from what I remember his initial problem was that he was too closed off in his stance and hence he had to play around his hips when the ball was at his body, however being closed off made him a very good offside player. I still think atm he has a big issue with being squared up and his footwork doesn't help here, any bowler who pushes the ball across him tends to trouble him, Martin and Kulasekara come to mind. In terms of spin he just doesn't move his feet properly at all, he never seems to make a convincing forward or backward movement and hence he gets caught on the crease poking at the ball, eventually he gets one that turns a little more or slides on and he can't cover it.

Just my thoughts

Daemon

Look at all the ****s rolling in just for the free likes. Pathetic.

(jk of course, keep it coming)

Shri

Mr. Glass
1st Test: India v West Indies at Kolkata, Nov 6-8, 2013 | Cricket Hawkeye | ESPN Cricinfo

2nd Test: India v West Indies at Mumbai, Nov 14-16, 2013 | Cricket Hawkeye | ESPN Cricinfo

Knock yourself out.

According to that Ojha's bowled a delivery with negative speed as well, reckon that's the one that turned 180 and came back to him.
Ashwin's avg top speed is 60.3 mph. Ojha's is 55.2 mph. Ashwin is approx 10 Kph quicker, ergo I am right and you are, well, Daemon.

And another I noticed. Ashwin has a variation of 8 mph. he bowls between 52 and 60 mph. Ojha bowls between 51 and 55 mph. Ash varies his pace better than one paced Ojha. **** me I hate that ****.

Last edited:

Daemon

Ashwin's avg top speed is 60.3 mph. Ojha's is 55.2 mph. Ashwin is approx 10 Kph quicker, ergo I am right and you are, well, Daemon.

And another I noticed. Ashwin has a variation of 8 mph. he bowls between 52 and 60 mph. Ojha bowls between 51 and 55 mph. Ash varies his pace better than one paced Ojha. **** me I hate that ****.
average top speed? Just look at the average speeds and the lines..

it just occurred to me that someone should make a post in Daemon's cricket for dummies thread (i gave it a new title) about Trott, the short ball and his technique.

Also ^