• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daemon learns to cricket

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was randomly thinking about this today - if the bowling team gets the batting team 8 or 9 down right at the end of the day's play, they can take an extra half hour to try to bowl them out that day. Let's say that happens at the end of day four, and the batting team survives, and they manage to keep surviving throughout the fifth day. Does that extra half hour get taken out of the fifth day? As in, would the match be declared a draw half an hour before the normal schedule close of play? Also, would the bowling team be able to keep taking extra time before sessions (pushing the tea break back etc.), or is it basically a one-time offer for the innings?

andyc

It's a result thing, not an end of innings thing isn't it?
Bit confused by this question. In the scenario I'm giving, the team is batting in the fourth innings trying to bat out the game and if they're 8 or 9 down, the bowling team would be well within their rights to claim the half hour. In the obviously highly unlikely situation that they keep surviving to the end of the fifth day, I'm just curious as to whether that extra half hour taken on Day 4 would come out of play on Day 5, or if it is just a completely extra half hour added to the Test.

uvelocity

International Coach
extra half hour.

i wonder if it happened on the third day, could they take another half hour on the fourth

andyc

Yeah not sure about that either. And could they, say, push back the tea break on the fifth?

uvelocity

International Coach
in your scenario i'd not. if theyve survived that far, delaying tea isn't going to make any difference. nor would a captain ask for that, you'd be wanting to get back in the sheds and go again anyways.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
almost certain the extra half hour is taking out of the next day ie it's shifted across, as opposed to created

uvelocity

International Coach
actually spikeys right the ****

3.2 Extra Time
The umpires may decide to play 30 minutes (a minimum of eight overs) extra time at the end of any day
(other than the last day) if requested by either captain if, in the umpires opinion, it would bring about a
definite result on that day (this is in addition to the maximum one hour’s extra time provided for in 3.1 (a)
(iii) above). If the umpires do not believe a result can be achieved no extra time shall be allowed.

If it is decided to play such extra time on one or more of these days, the whole period shall be played out
even though the possibility of finishing the match may have disappeared before the full period has expired.
Only the actual amount of playing time up to the maximum 30 minutes extra time by which play is extended
on any day shall be deducted from the total number of hours of play remaining, and the match shall end
earlier on the final day by the amount of time by which play was previously extended under this clause.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Why are guys like Tsotsobe, McKay, Mills and Perera so successful bowling their up and down pies in ODI cricket?
Because they're tall, get a little bit of movement with the new pill, and consistently hit just short of a length at low-ish pace. that sort of bowling is tough for batsmen early on in one dayers since there's enough there to be discomforting, but not enough to be able to just lean on the ball and send it to the boundary. That's why they tend to get smacked at the death too, because they usually suck at yorkers and don't have enough pace to beat the bat when batsmen are swinging hard.

Daemon

Just heard Shastri talk about heavy rollers. I know they make pitches flatter but I heard something about teams opting to use it in between innings. What's that about?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Just heard Shastri talk about heavy rollers. I know they make pitches flatter but I heard something about teams opting to use it in between innings. What's that about?
you get the choice to use the roller overnight when you're batting and at the innings break.

The heavy ones obviously compress the pitch more and flatten it out for about half an hour. There are situations when you might not use it e.g. you might not want to bat for very long and might want the pitch to break up more.

Daemon

you get the choice to use the roller overnight when you're batting and at the innings break.

The heavy ones obviously compress the pitch more and flatten it out for about half an hour. There are situations when you might not use it e.g. you might not want to bat for very long and might want the pitch to break up more.
Cheers. I thought they just do it every innings break lol.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How do you folks distinguish between reverse swing and conventional swing when watching cricket on TV? I have seen conversation on CW when one poster says "good reverse swing". Another says "no, that was conventional swing". How do you tell?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
How do you folks distinguish between reverse swing and conventional swing when watching cricket on TV? I have seen conversation on CW when one poster says "good reverse swing". Another says "no, that was conventional swing". How do you tell?
When a bowler who conventionally swings it away starts getting inswing you can logically assume it's going to be reverse

Daemon

There's two different types of reverse swing iirc. Didn't really understand the article I read about it by that NASA dude.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Conventional swing is when the new ball swings (in the direction the seam is pointing) or the old ball swings towards the rough side. Reverse swing is when the ball swings towards the shiny side

Jarquis

I think he knows what it is, he's just asking how do you tell by watching a delivery one on TV with no close ups or replays.