• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any pressure on Damien Martyn?

Craig

World Traveller
Would there be? He hasnt made a Test century for nearly two years and if he doesnt make one would his spot be in danger?

krkode

State Captain
He still averages nearly 47 runs which is rather good. I don't think his position is in jeopardy, especially considering Waugh is leaving soon.

Martyn's a good batsman, and he'll come through soon enough.

Craig

World Traveller
But that was mainly against England in 2001.

He didnt have a good series against New Zealand after England when Stephen Fleming's men highlighted his technical flaw with his batting. He had a good series against South Africa and a decent enough tour of South Africa, didnt have the best of summers against England and successfully managed to miss the boast-your-career-average series against West Indies and Bangladesh.

MZ_RPFC

Cricket Spectator
He hasnt batted bad in this series against India though. Averaging 51. He isnt getting very big scores but he seems to be consistently getting pretty good scores.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well no doubts that a top order player needs to convert a few more of these starts into bigger scores , but ATM he is still contributing , no failures so far in this series.

If he continues to waste his starts then questions may be asked & if the Australians had to drop a batsman tomorrow them it would be a close call between Marto & Katich , but at present I dont think he's under any huge pressure.

krkode

State Captain
Besides, with Hayden and Ponting scoring hundreds on auto-pilot, you can't really point the finger at Martyn and say, "Why aren't you doing the same!?"

Martyn, from what I've seen, has the ability to deliver when it's needed.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm not pointing the finger, but I would suspect it would be a negative for him that isnt making the hundreds.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
He hasnt made a century for a while, but he hasnt failed for a long time either. If his average is up there with the others, hes in no danger. And this series he hasnt once looked shaky, (at least from where Im sitting) so be patient.

It'll be next innings for sure, for my Marto:D:saint:

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is only one word to desribe Damien Martyn

C.R.A.P

Honestly the selectors are on drugs or something because there are heaps better players who are also more deserving than him.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hero_Don said:

C.R.A.P

Honestly the selectors are on drugs or something because there are heaps better players who are also more deserving than him.
Now that's the biggest pile of rubbish I've ever read! How can someone with 2292 runs from 39 Tests with 5 100s and 15 50s be rubbish? And those better players? Do they include a certain MJ Clarke? The MJ Clarke who averages 37 in FC Cricket? Martyn averages 46.77 in Tests, 49.73 in FC cricket and 43.09 in 133 ODIs.

Actually, other than Clarke, who else is a better player than Martyn? Shaun Marsh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hero_Don said:

C.R.A.P

There is only one word to describe that post
C.R.A.P

Linda

International Vice-Captain
More deserving that Marto? I think not... 6 years of hard work after being controversially dropped is pretty deserving in my book. Oh and then theres the RUNS HE SCORES to consider :rolleyes: Grow a brain.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hehe funny enough i tactually think hes doing really well at the moment, hes not making hundreds but hes making a good number every time he goes out, which, when Ponting and Hayden are going so well, isn't a bad thing to be doing.

1 thought however for me would be, should he bat 5 after steve waugh retires? i cant think of a player who would be more suited to the number 5 spot. Clarke, Love and Lehmann i think would do better at 4 than 5. dunno, just a though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It appears the knives are out for some of the Australian players...you can't just cut loose on some players because they've finally been outplayed after 7 or 8 years.

Sure Martyn hasn't scored a century & he must be feeling the pressure considering the other players seem to rattle off hundreds with ease but he's still averaging 47 so he's still making good scores & that's all he really needs to do if Hayden, Ponting, Waugh etc are piling up the hundreds.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
It appears the knives are out for some of the Australian players...you can't just cut loose on some players because they've finally been outplayed after 7 or 8 years.
Especially strange considering it's the bowlers who are misfiring, not the batsmen!!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When failures are happening, pressure is inevitably magnified. What would be a small murmur becomes a big one.
For the bowlers, what would have been a big murmur becomes an outcry. If Bracken plays another Test for a while the selectors are insane, if Lee plays another one ever I'll not be in the least surprised but quite frankly he shouldn't, and if MacGill plays more than the occasional game from now on, again, I'll be surprised.