• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any pressure on Damien Martyn?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What a pair, Duminy and David Hussey.
How old is he, incidentally? Because even if he's only 19 or 20 it's really rather surprising he hasn't played before now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rivergod said:
Australia don't need him. Give some other "in form" blokes a go. Michael Hussey's got my vote.
Never a good idea to pick someone just because they're having a good season.
Better to pick someone who's a proven quantity over as many years as possible. Nor a good idea to pick an opener like Michael Hussey to replace a middle-order player like Martyn.
And if you meant David Hussey read the above.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
That's my opinion as well.

Martyn is souch a magnificent player to watch when he play's those attacking inning's.

He is not playing to his strength's at the moment he is a natrual stroke maker and holding himself back just make's him play poorly.

I did notice though that Martyn had an ODI strike rate of 94 during 2003 witch was probably his best year ever in ODI's coincidently.

He need's to play a little more like he does in ODI's in test matches.
Who says he's holding himself back? Who's to say he's not being bowled to in the right areas, getting unnecesarily frustrated (like most strokeplayers do) and playing the poor strokes?
According to some people, anyone is good to watch as long as they score at more than 60 per 100 balls.

Rivergod

Cricket Spectator
mavric41 said:
You might mean David Hussey who just scored 212 not out in a run chase of over 450.
Fantastic effort by David and go the mighty VICs!

However, I think his technique is slightly flawed and he won't have what it takes at the top level. Michael, on the other hand, is a run machine with a great concentration and technique. He'll play for Australia one day. Anyone know how old he is (Michael Hussey, that is)?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Who's to say he's not being bowled to in the right areas, getting unnecesarily frustrated (like most strokeplayers do) and playing the poor strokes?
Like some of us reckon is what's happening to Smith, but you deny?

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
What a pair, Duminy and David Hussey.
How old is he, incidentally? Because even if he's only 19 or 20 it's really rather surprising he hasn't played before now.
D.Hussey is 26.

He's from WA, played league cricket in Sussex or Surrey but had to move to have a chance.

I think he has played for Sussex Cricket Board.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
Who says he's holding himself back? Who's to say he's not being bowled to in the right areas, getting unnecesarily frustrated (like most strokeplayers do) and playing the poor strokes?
According to some people, anyone is good to watch as long as they score at more than 60 per 100 balls.
Looking good has nothing to do with scoring speed for me.

The fact is I have been watching Martyn play for along time and I know he is holding back (compaired to how he used to play).
The bowling has not been that great and I have seen him leaveing ball's alone he would normaly smash to the boundry etc..

The thing is he need's to play attackingly because it just seem's to put his mind at ease when he is scoring freely and his foot movment and shot selection actualy improves when he bat's more aggresivly.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
He lacks confidence?
quite possibly

He is no way nere the test player of 2000 - 2001. back then he was top five in the world and challenging Hayden and co. for the best batsman in the Australian team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
D.Hussey is 26.

He's from WA, played league cricket in Sussex or Surrey but had to move to have a chance.

I think he has played for Sussex Cricket Board.
That's interesting. Not good enough for County Cricket, yet he scores a lot of runs in Australia...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
David Hussey's career in "top-level" English domestic cricket:

2001 C&G Round 2 - 46 v Shropshire - lbw b Adam Shimmons
2002 C&G Round 3 - 0 (3) v Gloucestershire - b James Averis
2002 C&G Round 1 - 118* v Essex CB

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
That's interesting. Not good enough for County Cricket, yet he scores a lot of runs in Australia...
He couldn't get an EU passport, I don't think.
You can only get the odd Scott Brant, an Aussie picked randomly for county-cricket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
By playing for a Sussex League club... same way Shane Deitz (Cleethorpes & South Australia) opened for Lincolnshire this year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
Looking good has nothing to do with scoring speed for me.

The fact is I have been watching Martyn play for along time and I know he is holding back (compaired to how he used to play).
The bowling has not been that great and I have seen him leaveing ball's alone he would normaly smash to the boundry etc..

The thing is he need's to play attackingly because it just seem's to put his mind at ease when he is scoring freely and his foot movment and shot selection actualy improves when he bat's more aggresivly.
Fair enough - the ball-by-ball coverage of his innings' this summer has been on in your daytime, I have seen very little of Martyn's innings' except in highlights. He hasn't batted in the first sessions very much.