• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any pressure on Damien Martyn?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Damien Martyn has been needed to stand up and play an innings of quality in the last few tests and he has failed to do so. He has not been getting out to great balls or bad luck but simply poor shot selection.

Great players respond when needed, not only score the easy runs but also to tough it out and help the team out in a crisis. Damien Martyn has not done this now for 2 years. Now that Katich has cemented his spot for a while, Martyn may only be given the Sri Lankan tests (3 away and 2 at home) to come good whilst Waugh's replacement settles in. I don't think No.4 is his spot - perhaps if he drops to 5 and Lehmann goes in at 4 would be a better balance. I hope he comes good - he is too good a player to keep missing out. But if he doesn't perform its time to give someone else a go.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Martyn is a natrual stroke maker when he tries to dig in and play Steve Waugh like inning's he just get's out usualy in the 30's.

Remember how well he was playing early last year when he came back form injury it was because he was playing his shot's.

He does not have the mental strength to play the type off inning's he has been trying to play recently he just need's to bat freely and he will do much better.

He had a magnificent 2003 in ODI's and looked as good as any batsman.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Martyn is a class player, and I don't see why people are talking about dropping him after a few bad games.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I'm Marto's biggest fan and I will be so sad to see him go, but it worries me the tours coming up are to Sri Lanka, then India. The fact is Marto is 1000% better against fast bowling. His constant habit of getting starts this series and then getting out was SOO frustrating, partiuclarly when he looked to be actually in great form (unlike summer 2002). I just don't know if he's got it mentally, he seems to lack that confidence, self belief and arrogance that all the other Aussies have.

raw

Cricket Spectator
What's all this noise about scoring centuries? Consistency is more important. Martyn apparently had a terrible series against India, yet his average in the series is about 50...hmmm. He looked to be about to score a century before that Steve Waugh run out. And anyway, if he's out of form like you're all suggesting and still averaging 50 then, hey, he must be a shocking player. So, lets dump him for who? Katich? He had the game of his life and now he's going to do that every game, please...
While we talk form, whats going on with Gilchrist's performance in the India series....his average was 21.5! Why aren't the knives coming out for him? Because he's the keeper? Like he doesn't miss catches? He's been trash, and while we're at it, lets look at Langer. This guy only gets to 1 when he gets let off with a dodgy decision or a dropped catch. And at the moment we all dream we could have another few Pontings in the team, yet everyone forgets when he had his horror run and barely scored over 10 time after time, but nobody said anything about that, did they...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
But that means nothing in respect of his Test place.
Well the fact that he's still contributed a fair few runs at a very decent average despite not hitting a ton for over 2 years, does matter.

Bazza

International 12th Man
raw said:
What's all this noise about scoring centuries? Consistency is more important. Martyn apparently had a terrible series against India, yet his average in the series is about 50...hmmm. He looked to be about to score a century before that Steve Waugh run out. And anyway, if he's out of form like you're all suggesting and still averaging 50 then, hey, he must be a shocking player. So, lets dump him for who? Katich? He had the game of his life and now he's going to do that every game, please...
While we talk form, whats going on with Gilchrist's performance in the India series....his average was 21.5! Why aren't the knives coming out for him? Because he's the keeper? Like he doesn't miss catches? He's been trash, and while we're at it, lets look at Langer. This guy only gets to 1 when he gets let off with a dodgy decision or a dropped catch. And at the moment we all dream we could have another few Pontings in the team, yet everyone forgets when he had his horror run and barely scored over 10 time after time, but nobody said anything about that, did they...
- Martyn averages 31 over the last two years.

- Katich averaged 70 in this series. OK he won't maintain that but there's nothing to suggest he won't average 40+ or even 50+. Who would you bring in for Katich if you already need replacements for Waugh, Martyn and in your opinion Langer??

- Langer scored two centuries in the series and has 4 in the last year (plus 250 against England shortly before that). He does make alot of low scores, but also plenty of big ones.

- Gilchrist averaged 16 in this series but it is just one series. At the end of the day he is a top batsman who averages 55. If you drop him too, you need a keeper who is as good as any batsman in the world, a new opener and two middle order batsman. Or are you just going to play 8 bowlers and rely on Ponting and Hayden?! :P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Well the fact that he's still contributed a fair few runs at a very decent average despite not hitting a ton for over 2 years, does matter.
I know that, but I was commenting on Eclipse using his ODI stats.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's just say this much is certain:
Martyn's place in ODIs isn't going to be in question for a long time, but nor will that have any bearing on his Test selection. Even if he doesn't make a single 50 in the VB Series he's still not going to have his place questioned because his average will still be 40 or very nearly.
His Test form recently hasn't been the best, but nonetheless he averaged 42 in the series against India. If he averages 30 or less in Sri Lanka (not out of the question, by any means, but still has to happen before we can start to say anything) there will start to be questions asked. But only start. It will, IMO, take 6 bad Tests, in Sri Lanka and India, for there to be serious consideration of his being axed from the Tests.
And if so, Love has more than earnt his selection.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I heard Dean Jones suggested that Damien Martyn should be dropped from the test team. Can anyone confirm this, specifically any Australian.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I read in the paper he wants Marto to return to aggressive and confident play, he didnt say he should be dropped.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I believe Martyn has alot to worry about as there are alot of cricketers in Australia with good performances in the domestic competition. This and now that Steve Waugh has retired, the selectors will be closely looking at everyones spot in the next year or 2, IMO

Eclipse

International Debutant
Linda said:
I read in the paper he wants Marto to return to aggressive and confident play, he didnt say he should be dropped.
That's my opinion as well.

Martyn is souch a magnificent player to watch when he play's those attacking inning's.

He is not playing to his strength's at the moment he is a natrual stroke maker and holding himself back just make's him play poorly.

I did notice though that Martyn had an ODI strike rate of 94 during 2003 witch was probably his best year ever in ODI's coincidently.

He need's to play a little more like he does in ODI's in test matches.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Maybe hes taking the advice, I loved yesterdays innings, even if it was short lived..

Craig

World Traveller
Linda said:
Of course he's not going to say he going to be dropped.

Its like me telling you my PIN number over the internet and then sending you my ATM card or me giving out Credit Card details.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Rivergod said:
Australia don't need him. Give some other "in form" blokes a go. Michael Hussey's got my vote.
You might mean David Hussey who just scored 212 not out in a run chase of over 450.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
mavric41 said:
You might mean David Hussey who just scored 212 not out in a run chase of over 450.
Off just 218 balls. His first class average is now up to 70+, with a strike rate close to 80 as well. Still early in his career but definitely one to watch.