• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Highlight of the year 2003

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
As for better games, well, there's the Matthews Final, the 1970 World Cup Final, Man Utd losing York, Man Utd losing to Bournemouth, Man Utd's trip to Brazil ending in comedy against Necaxa...
Just for your information, the (League Cup game) against York City was a terrible game full of terrible football from a terrible side who beat the third-string of a brilliant one.
The end may justify the means, but it can't make any bearing on the standard of play.
Just because I don't mind (in fact I would certainly be delighted to watch) if Lee, MacGill, Williams, Hauritz, Watson, Hogg or any other rubbish Australian bowler were to get smashed all over the ground by, for instance, an indescriminate slogger like Shahid Afridi at no point would I kid myself and call it "good" or "thrilling" cricket.
The 1970 WC final may have been brilliant (the Matthews final, maybe I should be ashamed, but I don't know what you're on about) but IMO it wasn't as action-packed as MU-Asnl in April 1999.
Just because you can't take it that a brilliant team won a brilliant match doesn't detract from the quality and variety of footballing action and drama.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Right then Richard, please tell us which of Aus, SA, Eng, Ind, Pak, WI, SL and NZ that Kenya are better than, and then justify why they are better, I'm sure we'd all like to know...
I appear to have pressed the wrong key, only just noticed. Soon to be corrected...
I meant, of course, 9th best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Based on what exactly?

This bloke is awesome in ODI's, picking up wickets frequently for not many runs yet you imply he should be returning 0-60+ each game?

"There's not greater judge than the game itself" springs to mind
No, there isn't. And I have never disputed that Lee has been hugely succesful in terms of wicket-taking in ODIs.
His good feats more than cancel-out his bad ones.
And it's not "there's not greater judge...", it's "there's no greater judge". If a typo, fair enough, but very poor grammar.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And it's not "there's not greater judge...", it's "there's no greater judge". If a typo, fair enough, but very poor grammar.
I'm so so sorry, I made an innocent typo and in doing so it made my grammar poor as well again.

I can only aspire to be as accurate as you and so perfect that you take great delight in this sort of thing.

Just wait till next time you make a typo if you want to play this game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Just for your information, the (League Cup game) against York City was a terrible game full of terrible football from a terrible side who beat the third-string of a brilliant one.
3rd string?

Does that 3rd string include Irwin, Parker, Pallister, Giggs, Sharpe McClair?

More than half the team were 1st team regulars.

Indeed, of the team that played, 9 had started in the previous Premier League match they played...

Contrast with an Arsenal team this season that had oh, Kanu and 10 youths and beat a full strength Premiership side (OK, it was only Wolves) 5-1.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
You have some nerve for constantly repremanding me for failing to give examples, instances, cases, etc.
Why, because I did it once referring to Football in Cricket Chat?

I refrained because it's not the right place.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
3rd string?

Indeed, of the team that played, 9 had started in the previous Premier League match they played...

Contrast with an Arsenal team this season that had oh, Kanu and 10 youths and beat a full strength Premiership side (OK, it was only Wolves) 5-1.
Didnt Wiltord and Lauren play in that game as well?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
3rd string?

Paul Parker was second-string by then, Lee Sharpe was rubbish by that season, Brian McClair sadly never repeated his brilliant form of 1992\3 and the team also included Kevin Pilkington and Patrick McGibbon (who was sent off when a penatly was incorrectly awarded).
The team of that season was Schmeichel, G. Neville, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Keane, Beckham, Butt, Giggs, Cantona, Scholes. With May and McClair first reserves. OK, I went too far on the whole third-string thing, but Pilkington and McGibbon were.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Why, because I did it once referring to Football in Cricket Chat?

I refrained because it's not the right place.
No, you've done it quite a few times.