• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Waugh - preparing for retirement

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steve Waugh has gone into print today suggesting that

a) Injured batsmen should not be allowed a runner
b) Leg-byes should be abolished from the game

Full story (?) here

Personally, I can see the benefits in both ideas - and also the very obvious drawbacks.

Is Steve just spinning a line of 'bonkers-speak' like so many international cricketers before him?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
There are advantages as well as drawbacks. The main benefits would be less controversy, eople disputing a runner, playing a shot for leg-byes, etc.

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Steve Waugh has gone into print today suggesting that

a) Injured batsmen should not be allowed a runner
I can't blieve he means this one TBH, I mean if he felt so strongly about it:

1) He would never allow the opp' to have a runner, as you know you need the opp's permission.

2) He is being a bit of a hypocrite by using runners serveral times himself and a couple of times quite recently.

Originally posted by halsey
playing a shot for leg-byes
I don't any batsman goes out thinking iam going to get runs of my pad today, it's more a muck up in the shot that leads to it coming of the pad.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Re: Re: Steve Waugh - preparing for retirement

Rich2001 said:
I don't any batsman goes out thinking iam going to get runs of my pad today, it's more a muck up in the shot that leads to it coming of the pad.
No, I mean't the batsman might leave it, it hits his pad, he runs, claiming he played a shot.

Rich2001

International Captain
Re: Re: Re: Steve Waugh - preparing for retirement

halsey said:
No, I mean't the batsman might leave it, it hits his pad, he runs, claiming he played a shot.
Ok that's fair enough, but is there really that many leg-byes scored in a game to really be a important factor?

Rich2001

International Captain
halsey said:
No, I guess not. I admit defeat. :(
Nah it's just from looking back at a few scorecards the amount of LB's for each inngs was only like 3 - 10 and both teams normally had about the same.

krkode

State Captain
I agree!! Leg byes should be abolished from the game. Or atleast they shouldn't count as extras. Extras should reflect badly on the bowler - something the bowler could easily have avoided. Leg-byes don't reflect that. I once saw India let go 40 extras in an ODI - I was appalled, until I saw that 25 of them were LBs...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
krkode said:
I agree!! Leg byes should be abolished from the game. Or atleast they shouldn't count as extras. Extras should reflect badly on the bowler - something the bowler could easily have avoided. Leg-byes don't reflect that. I once saw India let go 40 extras in an ODI - I was appalled, until I saw that 25 of them were LBs...
For the most part, though, leg-byes result from a leg-side delivery - and it could be argued that those should reflect against the bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have certainly long thought that.
Leg-byes that the bowler gets away with often enrage me. Except when I'm the bowler of course.:!( :saint: