• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson close to bowling comeback: Lillee

Eclipse

International Debutant
Watson close to bowling comeback: Lillee

Australian fast bowling legend Dennis Lillee has been drafted in to continue to help all-rounder Shane Watson on his long road back to the bowling crease - and says the young star could be back bowling within three weeks.

Tasmanian Watson has not bowled at all this season, as he recovers from the lower-back stress fractures that kept him out of the World Cup.

In Perth preparing for Australia A's one-day match against Zimbabwe at the WACA ground on Thursday, Watson continued the work he started with Lillee at Australia's Cricket Academy over the winter.

And after a vigorous bowling session in the nets, Lillee said he was happy with the progress of Watson's recovery.

"He won't bowl in this game. We want him to make sure that he has got the new technique absolutely second nature before he goes into a match situation," Lillee said.

"I think you will find he will be looking to bowl in grade games before anything else."

"I would say he will probably be bowling within two or three weeks - that is really what we have mapped out for him."

"And that is making sure the physio checks to make sure he is not in pain, and we are sure the action is not breaking down.

Despite not bowling for Tasmania in either first class or one-day competitions this season, Watson has excelled with the bat, scoring 460 runs at an average of over 50 in the Pura Cup, including 157 in the thrilling draw against NSW at the SCG.

He will line up for Australia's experimental under-25 A side against the Zimbabweans at Perth on Thursday, and in Adelaide on January 7, before making the step down to try and complete his recovery to all-rounder status.

Lillee said although the 22-year-old's pace may drop in the short-term, he could return a better - and faster - bowler.

"He is really embracing it and enjoying it, and feeling ten times better with it, so all the indications are very, very good," Lillee said.

"In the short-term he may slow down a bit, in the long-term once he gets used to the action he will actually get back to the pace he had before.

"I have got a feeling he may even be slightly quicker.

"More than that the advantage is going to be that it is going to keep him in the game, and he is going to bowl outswing which he has never really bowled before."

For those who are interested it's good news for Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is very good news for Australia - he appears to me to have the makings of a very good lower middle order batsman and 5th bowler at least.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I hope they dont chuck him straight back into the VB series squad , a very good test prospect IMO but I dont think he's gonna make a great ODI player.
His battings gone up a cog this season so if he can get his bowling together again it can only be a good thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I rather hope he does play in the VB Series and gets smashed all over the park APU.

Craig

World Traveller
He hasnt looked all that good in one-day cricket. Certainly not lived up to the hype.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
I rather hope he does play in the VB Series and gets smashed all over the park APU.
For a start he wont be selected because his bowling wont be up to it for at least another 12 monthes IMO.

And why do you take souch joy in watching somone who probably has the best work ethic and desire to succsed at the top level of any young player I have spoken to get smashed all over the park??

And for the record his style of play both batting and bowling is much better suited to the longer version of the game but IMO he will make it as a succsesful player in both form's because of his attitude and work ethic.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
watson wont play in this VB cup, his bowling wont be up to it, and he wont tour Sri Lanka or India i dont think due to the selectore prefering spinners and he wont have to much bowling under his belt, next Aussie season watch out though cause he will be back. hes a talented player with a good work ethic.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
And why do you take souch joy in watching somone who probably has the best work ethic and desire to succsed at the top level of any young player I have spoken to get smashed all over the park??
Because, if he turns out to be a good player, it won't be good news for us. So why not embrace the failure of a young player who has the potential to be a real pain in the arse in the future? :lol: :saint:

Cloete

International Captain
Rik said:
Because, if he turns out to be a good player, it won't be good news for us. So why not embrace the failure of a young player who has the potential to be a real pain in the arse in the future? :lol: :saint:
would taht be somehwhat like us cheering rikki clarke on? :lol::saint:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Basically I just embrace the failure of Australians, especially overrated Australians, ie all those except the Waughs, Slater, Elliott, Lehmann, Warne and Inness.
Ponting is now overrated in my eyes. Good, but not as good as an average of 100 over a year, or a Test average of 56.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you really think Ponting is likely to be a better batsman than Hutton, Richards and some others he averages above?
Because I most certainly don't. Worth an average of maybe 46-9, but not 56.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
So you really think Ponting is likely to be a better batsman than Hutton, Richards and some others he averages above?
Because I most certainly don't. Worth an average of maybe 46-9, but not 56.
Trust me he is a class act deffinstly deserves an avrage over 50.

Just looking at Ponting's stat's I think he is a very very good player of high quality pace bowling cheek out his avrage of 73 against Pakistan most was compiled against team's with Akram, Akhtar, Waqar etc..

Infact Wasim said Ponting was the best player of pace bowling he has ever seen and he has seen some great players over his time.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marsh said about ponting something along the lines of the best ive ever seen when he was at the acadamy (probably not correct but something along those lines)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
Trust me he is a class act deffinstly deserves an avrage over 50.

Just looking at Ponting's stat's I think he is a very very good player of high quality pace bowling cheek out his avrage of 73 against Pakistan most was compiled against team's with Akram, Akhtar, Waqar etc..

Infact Wasim said Ponting was the best player of pace bowling he has ever seen and he has seen some great players over his time.
Not as good as Cullinan for me, or indeed most of the South Africans.
By high-quality pace bowling you presumably mean high-quality seam-and-swing bowling?
Because just playing the ball at 95 mph isn't that difficult.
I'm not denying Ponting's a fantastic player, much better than most of the Australians, but just because Wasim said something doesn't mean it's gospel. People say that sort of thing all the time.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
age_master said:
marsh said about ponting something along the lines of the best ive ever seen when he was at the acadamy (probably not correct but something along those lines)
He said that about Chris Read, too.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Not as good as Cullinan for me, or indeed most of the South Africans.

well thats good for you :

but i think most people would agree that Ponting is far better than Cullinan in all parts of the game...