• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson close to bowling comeback: Lillee

Bazza

International 12th Man
Cullinan's a strange one - test average of 44, which is very creditable and puts him up there with the best South Africans (I mean Kirsten, Kallis, Gibbs as opposed to Pollock who's on his own and Richards didn't play enough to judge), yet he never made runs against Australia or Pakistan, maybe the two strongest attacks of his era. He just beat up on weak teams like England :( and Sri Lanka.

Why did he retire? I can't remember but he was only 33. I seem to recall it was something other than he'd achieved everything he wanted to or was too old to carry on. He could have had 6000 runs by now, and whilst he's no Ricky Ponting, he's better than Neil McKenzie! :P

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bazza said:
Cullinan's a strange one - test average of 44, which is very creditable and puts him up there with the best South Africans (I mean Kirsten, Kallis, Gibbs as opposed to Pollock who's on his own and Richards didn't play enough to judge), yet he never made runs against Australia or Pakistan, maybe the two strongest attacks of his era. He just beat up on weak teams like England :( and Sri Lanka.

Why did he retire? I can't remember but he was only 33. I seem to recall it was something other than he'd achieved everything he wanted to or was too old to carry on. He could have had 6000 runs by now, and whilst he's no Ricky Ponting, he's better than Neil McKenzie! :P
Still, I don't feel McKenzie's done his ability justice yet. He's not going to be Cullinan and I don't expect him to be, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't averaging close to 40 in a few years' time.
I rated Cullinan as one of the finest players I've ever seen against seam, just at times totally clueless against spin. Very similar to Alec Stewart. And I certainly was disappointed in his early retirement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
marsh said about ponting something along the lines of the best ive ever seen when he was at the acadamy (probably not correct but something along those lines)
Neil Pickup said:
He said that about Chris Read, too.
Exactly - coaches often say silly things about young players.
Occasionally they come close to coming to pass.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Cloete said:
would taht be somehwhat like us cheering rikki clarke on? :lol::saint:
The difference being, we all know Clarke won't be a pain in the arse for you, just for us.