• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Kallis now overtake Sachin?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Sorry for yet another Sachin thread, but this is a worthwhile question in my opinion.

I knew Sachin would fight tooth-and-nail to outlive Ponting, but Kallis always hinted at outlasting the little man. He looks like someone who can do a Gooch and play into his 40s.

For what it's worth, I think it would be a bit of a shame if Kallis overtakes SRT in the runs or centuries stakes, because despite Kallis' great achievements, SRT is the greater batsman.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez the Tendulkar threads are going overboard :p

Anyway, I take great offence to your statement that it would be a shame if kallis got the record. If he gets there he deserves it, plain and simple. No use getting worked up about it anyway because kallis getting the record wouldn't change the minds of those people who think Tendulkar is better. Not if he bats till he's 55 and gets 25000 runs, anyway

Last edited:

Daemon

If he plays till he's 42, he's going to have to score ~700 runs a year. I guess it's possible but I doubt he'll get there. If he does it'll be 22 years of Test cricket for him, which is pretty awesome as well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The beauty of Kallis and why he was always a bigger threat to Tendulkar's runs record than Ponting imo is because his game is based so much around his technique rather than his eye. If he can keep going he's ever chance, but Kallis will have his Ponting, Dravid, Tendulkar moment and collapse soon. Its inevitable.

Daemon

Shri, photoshop that into him doing a high jump. I have faith in your skillz.

Dissector

International Debutant
Kallis is 38 years old and averages 18 in his six tests this year. This is looking like the final decline. He is around the same age as Tendulkar when he started to decline in 2011. I would be surprised if he can turn it around strongly enough to score another 8 hundreds and 2500+ runs but it's not impossible.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
As for the actual question; I definitely would've said it was possible a year ago, when he'd just scored a ton in Brisbane, but he hasn't looked like getting another one since, and at his age, it seems more than a slight form bump.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Lets see how Kallis approaches his decline. Is he going to be selfish and let RSA carry him or will he sacrifice for the good of the team.