• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Top 6 2004/05

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
iamdavid said:

If I were a selector I would take this squad to Sri Lanka-
1.Hayden
2.Langer
3.Ponting
4.Martyn
5.Lehmann
6.Katich
7.Gilchrist
8.Warne
9.Gillespie
10.Inness
11.McGrath
12.Clarke
13.Hogg/MacGill(unfortunately no one better ATM)
14.Bichel
15.Kaspa/Tait
16.Martin Love

Dont like the chances of that happening though :(
Last I heard, Hogg has been dropped for Pura Cup matches (still plays ING Cup).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hmm probable for Sri Lanka

Ponting (c)
Gilchrist (vc+)
Hayden
Langer
Martyn
Clarke
Lehmann (depends on fitness and form) otherwise its gotta be love
Katich

McGrath
Warne
Gillespie
Lee
Bichel
Bracken

Langer the reserve keeper

who i would like to see go

Ponting
Gilly
Hayden
Langer
Clarke
Lehmann
Katich
Love

McGrath
Gillespie
Warne
Lee
Inness
Noffke
white

now i woulndt actually play White in a test but giving him a couple of tour matches in sri lanka would be good experience for him. i dont have Martyn in there, hes done not much wrong but just doesn't play spin well enough for mine, hes not good enough playing back and doesn't use his feet enough. i would bat Katich at 4, lehmann 5 and Clarke 6 with the bowlers being McGrath, Gillespie, lee and warne.

iamdavid

International Debutant
age_master said:
now i woulndt actually play White in a test but giving him a couple of tour matches in sri lanka would be good experience for him.
Lee I sincerely hope wont go to Sri Lanka , if he does I sincerely hope he dosent play , if he plays I sincerely hope he dosent get hammered , unfortunately I see all of the above happening though :(

As for bringing Cam White but not playing him-
a) 2 spinners in the XI is likely in Sri Lanka & Katich *prays* wont be one of them , so if you arent gonna play him then he'd be better off back captaining the Bushrangers & taking advice from David Hookes *shudders*

b)White is no where near ready for test cricket yet , especially not over there.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lee hopefully will be all fixed up with his rythm by than, and hopefully some people will catch something off him (which it was quite obvious cut any confidence he had right off)

as for white - well macgill has proved shown how not to take wickets against anyone who knows anything about spin, so that leaves Warne - who no doubt will tour - and than Katich and Lehmann to fulfill the other spinners role.

Australian tours always take a player with potential over on these tours to try and develop, why not white?

iamdavid

International Debutant
age_master said:
Australian tours always take a player with potential over on these tours to try and develop, why not white?
Because the Lankans know a thing or two about playing spinners & Katich & Lehmann are therefor likely to have little to no affect what-so-ever , lets also not forget the Warnie hasnt bowled for a year & I dont reckon he's the type of bloke who'll have been sweating it out in the nets during that time , so he's gonna be a little rusty at first & a back up spinner is needed.

Hauritz is not test bowler , White & Doherty both could be but arent ready ATM.
Casson is a big prospect , he can turn it square & has nice variation & a great ability to loop & dip the ball.....if only he could improve his control , MacGill is rubbish & this has been proven this summer & Hogg is well...Hogg.

Take you're pick from that bunch , unfortunately there aint a whole lot to chose from

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
hmm probable for Sri Lanka

Clarke
That to me immediately renders your argument irrelevant.

How can he be a probable?

He's an outside bet at best (since there's at least 2 or 3 players not in the middle order ahead of him)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
Bracken is supposedly a swing bowler , problem being he very rarely swings it :lol:
Exactly the same true of Charl Willoughby.
Ludicrous, swing really isn't that difficult, albeit just a bit more difficult with a Kookaburra than with a Duke, but yet professional bowlers can't do it as well as you or me.
The lower trajectory undoubtedly helps a little bit, but really not that much.