• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is one series I don't have strong convictions about. It wouldn't surprise me if India were flogged, at the same time I could see them drawing the series. 2 Tests does that to you.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't think South Africa are going to be so stupid to keep putting up these greentops, because it will ultimately bite them in the ass. SA should prepare relatively flat pitches and force the Indian bowlers to struggle with zero help. Unless there's significant lateral movement, I'd probably go with Shami/Yadav/Zak with Bhuvi odd man out. That said, the warm-up match should decide who gets the final spot.

I wouldn't do the following if I were Dhoni, but he would earn a little respect from me if he went balls deep with:
Four seamers (Zak/Yadav/Shami/Bhuvi) + Ashwin @ #7. Aside from Yadav , the other three have skillsets that overlap with one another (medium-fast swing bowlers). But idk if that's an awful thing. If you want a bit more pace, go with Shami. If you want a bit more line and length, go with Bhuvi. If one of the youngsters has a nightmare first test overseas, Zak should be a steady hand. All three can swing it, and Zak and Shami are excellent at reversing it.

Bhuvi's lack of pace worries me most, in addition to Ashwin in the top 7 of an inexperienced batting unit and the need for him to focus on his bowling in his redemption overseas tour. I also think India shouldn't waste an opportunity to develop another quality batsman for the sake of unearthing a mythical all-rounder. Jadeja has been very ordinary thus far with the bat at home and has had plenty of problems against genuine pace. High time Rahane gets a proper go.

First test: Vijay, Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Rahane, Dhoni, Ashwin, Zaheer, Shami, Yadav

When Vijay inevitably embarrasses himself:

Second Test:
Option A (if flat): Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Rahane, Dhoni, Jadeja, Ashwin, Zaheer, Shami, Yadav
Option B (if there's some grass or extra pace in the pitch): Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Rahane, Dhoni, Ashwin, Zaheer, Shami, Yadav, Bhuvi

OverratedSanity

Why in the blue hell would South Africa produce flat pitches? That would just play into India's strengths. A greentops wouldn't bite them in the ass at all... We'd probably get bowled put for 47 and 49 with Philander taking 7/13 or something

And yes, I do realise India won on a juicy pitch which offered something to spinners and steamers at Durban last time but we don't have Laxman anymore. If we do get pitches with liberal turn like last time, I fancy our chances

Last edited:

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Why in the blue hell would South Africa produce flat pitches? That would just play into India's strengths. A greentops wouldn't bite them in the ass at all... We'd probably get bowled put for 47 and 49 with Philander taking 7/13 or something

And yes, I do realise India won on a juicy pitch which offered something to spinners and steamers at Durban last time but we don't have Laxman anymore. If we do get pitches with liberal turn like last time, I fancy our chances
Bowlers' pitches level the playing field; affords the weaker bowling side thechance to take 20 wickets India was hammered on a flat pitch at the Centurion. Most of the pitches in England and Australia were flat. India's signature overseas wins have come on bowlers' pitches (Headingley, Perth, Durban). Adelaide would be the one notable exception; somehow the Aussies succumbed to Agarkar's pies.

I don't think India's batting is that bad, albeit inexperienced. Most of the guys have good techniques to handle quick conditions (Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit) and some can even hold their own against the moving ball (Pujara, Rohit). I worry about Vijay and Jadeja (and don't give a toss about Dhoni), but if they play Rahane, they'll be in decent shape.

Laxman's my favorite batsman but there are more skilled batsmen in this team than him. They are just as capable

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmmm, I think there is merit in both arguments.

SA are prone to a random collapse at home for some unknown reason. I'd back India to honestly not be able to bowl South Africa out on a flattish pitch, but one that has reasonable bounce. Whereas I'd still back SA to clean us up.

Whereas on a green top it may become a bit of a lottery or at the very least even up the bowling difference. If SA bat are bowled out for 190 or something in the first dig due to some decent bowling on a very helpful track and some poor shots, suddenly India are in the game. Even if India themselves only eek out 250-260 in the first dig with some luck and some tailend runs, they've got a lead and the match is a lot more even.

Obviously SA could just go BANG BANG BANG and India are out for 60-odd. But that could happen on a reasonably flattish track that just happens to have decent bounce.

I wouldn't mind too much as an Indian fan if the track was super green. Not because India can handle it, but because South Africa may struggle too.

Last edited:

benchmark00

As always in South Africa, the best part of this tour will be the camera men.

For the first session they try and focus on the cricket. In the post lunch session their focus starts to drift towards a couple of good looking girls in the crowd and by the final session it's just an out and out perve fest on the crowd, so much so that they may as well all be in skimpy bikinis washing each other with big sponges.

Case in point:

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
As always in South Africa, the best part of this tour will be the camera men.

For the first session they try and focus on the cricket. In the post lunch session their focus starts to drift towards a couple of good looking girls in the crowd and by the final session it's just an out and out perve fest on the crowd, so much so that they may as well all be in skimpy bikinis washing each other with big sponges.
Good point:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As we've seen before when India tour South Africa, green tops can sometimes just really nullify South Africa's bowling strength, suddenly making India's fast bowling group really hard to play. They obviously shouldn't be preparing completely flat wickets either because that'd just nullify them in the other direction; ideally they'd find that perfect balance where Philander and Steyn got assistance by the lesser lights of the Indian attack didn't.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Bowlers' pitches level the playing field; affords the weaker bowling side the chance to take 20 wickets India was hammered on a flat pitch at the Centurion. Most of the pitches in England and Australia were flat. India's signature overseas wins have come on bowlers' pitches (Headingley, Perth, Durban). Adelaide would be the one notable exception; somehow the Aussies succumbed to Agarkar's pies.

I don't think India's batting is that bad, albeit inexperienced. Most of the guys have good techniques to handle quick conditions (Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit) and some can even hold their own against the moving ball (Pujara, Rohit). I worry about Vijay and Jadeja (and don't give a toss about Dhoni), but if they play Rahane, they'll be in decent shape.

Laxman's my favorite batsman but there are more skilled batsmen in this team than him. They are just as capable
Hmmm, I think there is merit in both arguments.

SA are prone to a random collapse at home for some unknown reason. I'd back India to honestly not be able to bowl South Africa out on a flattish pitch, but one that has reasonable bounce. Whereas I'd still back SA to clean us up.
Greentops should be the way to go, unless they want to take the match to the 4th and 5th day. The Indian batting line-up is severely inexperienced. There is literally nobody who has any experience whatsoever apart from Dhoni, and he can't advice anybody on batting. If India bat first, Steyn, Philander, and Morkel will finish them for less than 150. In fact, I would place good money on that. Even though I like to hope that Pujara, Rohit, Kohli and Rahane will do well, I don't see it happening. Everybody struggles on their first visit to SA, everybody.. Why should these guys be an exception, especially with the kind of attack SA possess?

If India play Jadeja in either of the matches, I will revoke any and all affection I have for Dhoni, World Cup win be damned. But I also feel a bit sorry for him. Having all 3 legends retire within a year must be hard for him to handle. Waiting for the warm-up game... Cancel the stupid ODI with WIndies for god's sake!

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
They will probably prepare flat pitches to try and get their moneys worth given they've now only got two tests worth of Indian TV audiences

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They will probably prepare flat pitches to try and get their moneys worth given they've now only got two tests worth of Indian TV audiences
Please, the Indian TV audiences haven't sat down to watch Test cricket since 2004. But yeah, just to get the money in, the pitches might be flat.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
nothing wrong with the girl, it's just that there was a significant price to pay in order to see her

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Greentops should be the way to go, unless they want to take the match to the 4th and 5th day. The Indian batting line-up is severely inexperienced. There is literally nobody who has any experience whatsoever apart from Dhoni, and he can't advice anybody on batting. If India bat first, Steyn, Philander, and Morkel will finish them for less than 150. In fact, I would place good money on that. Even though I like to hope that Pujara, Rohit, Kohli and Rahane will do well, I don't see it happening. Everybody struggles on their first visit to SA, everybody.. Why should these guys be an exception, especially with the kind of attack SA possess?

If India play Jadeja in either of the matches, I will revoke any and all affection I have for Dhoni, World Cup win be damned. But I also feel a bit sorry for him. Having all 3 legends retire within a year must be hard for him to handle. Waiting for the warm-up game... Cancel the stupid ODI with WIndies for god's sake!
Dravid did quite well on his first tour of SA. Even Sehwag. SA tours have had their share of batting collapses, but the poor bowling was the more common denominator. I think the India A tour will also help them just to not be intimidated by new conditions, even if they primarily played on flat pitches (though the second unofficial test wasn't). And Pujara was on the last tour of SA and acquitted himself well despite the low scores; got behind the line of the ball well and hung around to give support to Laxman