• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dale Steyn fumes spontaneously at Rohit Sharma - 2nd Test - South Africa vs India 2013 - YouTube

After watching that i seriously hope SA comes to India and gets smacked around like a rag doll. Rohit is so young and upcomming yet this parrot is still talking garbage. Im so happy rohit told him "come to ****ing india buddy"
No its a **** sledge. It was poor when my boy Kohli said it to Warner and it was poor when my boy ****ter, less attractive but still talented boy Rohit said it to Steyn.

Its as if playing in India is all that is important to these guys, when it is not. Kohli said his ton in Jo'burg was his best knock ever, so they obviously highly value going overseas and succeeding. So then stop saying **** stuff like "wait til you come to India"

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So what? Why say it during the South African series? Its a stupid sledge. Why doesn't he try and beat Steyn in South Africa?

That is the attitude that will see these talented youngsters failing overseas. He better shut the **** up and score runs in New Zealand.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Steyn must be eager to go back to india, so he can lower his overall average again.

He will probably go back to India to play a BS 2 test series anyway, so I would not mind if we do not go to India for a very long time.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
No its a **** sledge. It was poor when my boy Kohli said it to Warner and it was poor when my boy ****ter, less attractive but still talented boy Rohit said it to Steyn.

Its as if playing in India is all that is important to these guys, when it is not. Kohli said his ton in Jo'burg was his best knock ever, so they obviously highly value going overseas and succeeding. So then stop saying **** stuff like "wait til you come to India"
Well the way I see it, those words were the magic words after which Kohli pretty much shut everyone up with performances. Hopefully Sharma does something similar.:p

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Come to India. I've played five tests and my balls haven't dropped yet. Wait til I face you on a deck where nothing gets over knee high".

Yeah. Game, set and match to Sharma I suppose :wacko:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well the way I see it, those words were the magic words after which Kohli pretty much shut everyone up with performances. Hopefully Sharma does something similar.:p
True, Kohli grew up. Hopefully Rohit will tooo. :)

cricketmogul

Cricket Spectator
Good post, agree with most of it. I'm on record for like the last 3 years that Dhoni makes massive blunders as captain - but other than bowling Shami more (which was a huge blunder), I don't think he did too much wrong as captain on day 5. I think his bowlers let him down massively. I mean he kept attacking even in the last session with Ashwin. I was shocked by that, normally he'd have given up by tea.
1st test was largley fault of selectors ie going into a seamer friendly pitch with just 2 seamers and zaheer who it wasn't known exactly how fit he was. south Africa essentially played with 4 frontline seamers (till morkel went down) Wanderers never spins,so I wouldn't expect ashwin to run through SA , even with 400+ on the board. I think had india dropped rohit and played b kumar, they would have won the test comfortably . Then in Durban which always turns, it was a no brainer to play 2 spinners, and in ashwin and jadeja india have two of the best. harbhajan and kumble have always got wickets in Durban, if I knew that I cant beleive fletcher/bcci didn't. As for dhoni , I doubt he would change his tactics whatever the game situation or selection. he is only a decent captain when india is on top, then he can stick to his cool/calm persona. the best captains are the ones that apart from being calm, can also turn things around when their back is to the wall. Despite more successes, there is no way dhoni will ever be regarded as a better captain as ganguly (or even wadekar) Unfortunalty there is no obvious alternative to dhoni in tests captaincy, so id hope someone is having a chat with him about being more pro-active and aggressive as a captain

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Despite more successes, there is no way dhoni will ever be regarded as a better captain as ganguly (or even wadekar) Unfortunalty there is no obvious alternative to dhoni in tests captaincy, so id hope someone is having a chat with him about being more poor-active and aggressive as a captain
I didn't know Dhoni was so charitable

cricketmogul

Cricket Spectator
Dale Steyn fumes spontaneously at Rohit Sharma - 2nd Test - South Africa vs India 2013 - YouTube

After watching that i seriously hope SA comes to India and gets smacked around like a rag doll. Rohit is so young and upcomming yet this parrot is still talking garbage. Im so happy rohit told him "come to ****ing india buddy"
this is a good example of what is wrong with current indan mentality - I am an indian and also accept steyn can be a dick at times, but I agree with him in this case- What good is talking of playing in india when you are playing a test match in Durban right now? Agree with Jono comment above- kohli made the same mistake in australia, but he at least back up his chat with tough gritty performances, he is an undoubted great in the making. sharma has done nothing of note to help his country out, unlike vijay rahane kohli pujara who all showed some guts in SA without having to chat from the non-strikers end. so let rohit shut up and learn to deal with a moving ball, or drop out and let someone else have a go buddy

Unomaas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Anand Vasu writing in Wisden India said:
When Chris Nenzani, the CSA president, and Norman Arendse, a CSA director, met BCCI officials in Dubai for a firefighting meeting days before the tour was officially given the go-ahead, they had already been briefed about the BCCI’s need to play some cricket at home ahead of the South Africa tour. With the BCCI receiving Rs 33 crore per home day of international cricket from its broadcast partner, there was no way India could go without some cricket at home. With this being the case, CSA suggested that the South African team would come from the United Arab Emirates, where they were playing Pakistan, to take on India in two home Tests. This would have happened at the time India ended up playing West Indies.

CSA proposed that this would be followed by three Tests in South Africa, and the five Tests viewed as a complete series could be played for the Gandhi-Mandela Trophy. “We got the appropriate clearances to use the Mandela name, and had asked BCCI officials if they could seek similar permissions for the Gandhi name in India,” a top CSA functionary told Wisden India. “We kept hearing that Haroon Lorgat was the problem, but a lot of this was through reports in the media, and when we tried to clarify things directly with the BCCI, we drew a blank.”

When asked about this, a BCCI official, who did not want to be named, explained that there was no chance of playing three Tests in South Africa. “If we had played three Tests, the final one would have been in the New Year, the traditional Newlands Test, as this is what South Africa had proposed. Unfortunately, our sponsorship deal with Sahara ended on December 31, and we could not have played in the New Year without a sponsor,” clarified the official. “There was no time to get a new sponsor on board, and we need to get that in place before the New Zealand series begins.”

In effect, problems with Lorgat or not, India could not have played a third Test in South Africa in January, and the Gandhi-Mandela Trophy was not to be.

If the five-Test proposal had been accepted, it would have had a kind of perfect symmetry that even scriptwriters cannot plan. The second Test in Mumbai, against a strong South African team being tested to the hilt in conditions they don’t really enjoy, against two spinners on a turning track, would have been Tendulkar’s last. Subsequently, the fifth Test at Newlands would have been Jacques Kallis’s last, at home. Of course, no one could have predicted that Tendulkar and Kallis would call time when they did. And, with Mandela passing on, there would have been a gravitas to the series not quite matched by its eventual name, after producers of triple-refined sunflower oil.

But, as they say, not all things are meant to be. Sometimes you have to be content wondering what might have been, if we lived in times where the bottom line and inter-board politics did not have the final say.
I feel robbed :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If the five-Test proposal had been accepted, it would have had a kind of perfect symmetry that even scriptwriters cannot plan. The second Test in Mumbai, against a strong South African team being tested to the hilt in conditions they don’t really enjoy, against two spinners on a turning track, would have been Tendulkar’s last. Subsequently, the fifth Test at Newlands would have been Jacques Kallis’s last, at home. Of course, no one could have predicted that Tendulkar and Kallis would call time when they did. And, with Mandela passing on, there would have been a gravitas to the series not quite matched by its eventual name, after producers of triple-refined sunflower oil.
Oh man. :(