• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
No thread as of yet, and the discussion is filtering into other threads, so why not eh?

Thu Dec 5
12:30 GMT | 14:30 local
1st ODI - New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Sun Dec 8
08:00 GMT | 10:00 local
2nd ODI - Kingsmead, Durban

Wed Dec 11
12:30 GMT | 14:30 local
3rd ODI - SuperSport Park, Centurion

Sat Dec 14 - Sun Dec 15
08:00 GMT | 10:00 local
South African Invitation XI v Indians
Willowmoore Park, Benoni

Wed Dec 18 - Sun Dec 22
08:30 GMT | 10:30 local
1st Test - New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Thu Dec 26 - Mon Dec 30
08:30 GMT | 10:30 local
2nd Test - Kingsmead, Durban

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
First overseas series for India since back to back 4-0s. Team is almost completely different, so will be interesting to see how they go. Main selection questions for India are who comes in for Sachin, and the make up of the seam attack. I assume, they'll bring in Jadeja and Yadav, the latter of which I'd agree with, the former not so. Just praying for no Ishant.

For South Africa most of the side picks itself. Tahir probably leapfrogged Robbie P in the UAE, but I wouldn't like to see him against India, although I doubt Robbie would cause them many problems either. With Duminey back I'd be tempted to make him te main spinner. Would mean being able to pick four frontline seamers and allow Kallis to focus on his poor batting form.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think the next 'real' series for India is all the way in July with the five (!!) Test series vs. England. Hoping that doesn't get changed.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That won't get changed now its set in stone. The ECB are a bit more stubborn than CSA.

Two is still better than the opportunity cost of zero though, so just be thankful we're actually going to be getting cricket.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
That won't get changed now its set in stone. The ECB are a bit more stubborn than CSA.

Two is still better than the opportunity cost of zero though, so just be thankful we're actually going to be getting cricket.
Let us all be grateful to the gracious BCCI for charitably bestowing us with two tests. So generous they are!

Also Cabi, thanks for making the thread. I was thinking about making one.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
I'll be happy with any three of Bhuvi/Shami/Yadav/Zak. Just make sure Zak is on the plane before Ishant or Vinay or whomever else
Ashwin has to be the frontline spinner for now, but I'd be ok with Jadeja as a back up full-time spinner, not as someone who plays in the top 7.

The replacement in the top 7 has to be Rahane, and he deserves a sustained go given all of his drinks carrying. I just hope all the limited overs cricket hasn't corrupted his game.

Ideally, Jaffer should be the backup opener but that won't happen. People always think it's stupid to allow an outsider at age 35 to return to the test squad, but I always think about it this way: if FC players know they have a chance of being selected even at an older age, they won't give up on being competitive in domestic FC. This improves the quality of your domestic FC league and gives you many more options. If you ignore the performances in domestic FC, players won't take it as seriously going forward.

smash84

The Tiger King
Would be interesting to see if SA go out of their way to spice up their already pacy wickets

Would be a great contest

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
We are going to get thumped, but they need to take a lot out of this series so they are better prepared when they go to Australia and England, and eventually return to South Africa. Long term development series this. It is incredible how much the batting has turned over since England 2011 in terms of personnel.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well, for one I don't expect the Indian batting to crumble for 45, 47, or 49 in any of the innings. Secondly Indian bowlers will get much more purchase from the tracks narrowing the gap between the 2 sides. So SA might win but it might not necessarily be a thumping

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Heh, the bar is low nowadays against SA hey? If you can get to 50 you haven't been thumped.

Dale Steyn and Vermon Philander WAGs

jan

State Vice-Captain
A two test series still better than no series. Newlands criminally omitted though.
Hoping for tight battle like the 2010 series makes me too optimistic?

Shri

Mr. Glass
First overseas series for India since back to back 4-0s. Team is almost completely different, so will be interesting to see how they go. Main selection questions for India are who comes in for Sachin, and the make up of the seam attack. I assume, they'll bring in Jadeja and Yadav, the latter of which I'd agree with, the former not so. Just praying for no Ishant.

For South Africa most of the side picks itself. Tahir probably leapfrogged Robbie P in the UAE, but I wouldn't like to see him against India, although I doubt Robbie would cause them many problems either. With Duminey back I'd be tempted to make him te main spinner. Would mean being able to pick four frontline seamers and allow Kallis to focus on his poor batting form.
India are not that good against spin anymore. These new test batsmen have played almost all their domestic games on pitches that neither turn nor provide help for pace bowlers. You never know, there might be a few surprises.

Zak is looking seriously lean. If his fitness is finally great, he should be an automatic pick considering the experience in the squad atm. Would understand if the selectors do not want to risk it but would be awesome to see him bowl to lefties again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Zaheer should definitely be in the squad IMO. Doesn't necessarily have to play but he should be on tour.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah the four that seamers that Jonty mentioned should be the ones in the squad, plus perhaps one other. Just have a horrible feeling tthey'll still go with Ishant.