• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ojha is one of India's best bowlers. IIRC, Herath did well in SA, and they're quite similar bowlers. I would be picking him ahead of Ashwin, but I can understand those who don't. I think he's one of India's most reliable bowlers. I guess we'll see what happens.

At least this squad seems to have a bit of reasoning behind it compared to those of last season.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Test Squad hasn't been announce yet......

1.30 pm: BCCI announces ODI team for South Africa tour under M.S. Dhoni, Zaheer Khan back in the squad. The other members of the team are Shikhar Dhawan, Ishant Sharma, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, R. Ashwin, Bhubaneswar Kumar, Ambati Rayudu and Amit Mishra.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shami and Sharma rested then? Sucks to see Ishant back. Kulkarni dropped without being given a game is also harsh.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Zaheer and Rahane in. Like that team except for Ishant. Will probably go with Rahane at 6 and Zaheer, Shami and Bhuvi as the pacers. Maybe if Bhuvi doesn't go well Umesh gets a look in.

Daemon

Will be good to finally have someone capable of bowling at the end of the innings.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
BCCI ‏@BCCI 25m

Team for SA ODIs: MSD (C), Dhawan, Rohit, Virat, Yuvraj, Raina, Jadeja, Ashwin, Bhuvi, Shami, Ishant, Rayudu, Mohit, Umesh, Mishra, Rahane

BCCI ‏@BCCI 24m

Team for SA Tests: MSD(C), Dhawan, Vijay, Pujara, Virat, Rohit, Rahane, Ashwin, Bhuvi, Shami, Zak, Rayudu, Umesh, Saha, Ishant, Ojha, Jadeja

No Gambhir as backup Or any other opener with Dhawan and Vijay as incumbents. Hmmm....

Ishant must have some noodz of someone in BCCI. Ishwar Pandey after being comfortably the best Bowler on A tour can feel hard done by.

3 Spinners in SA is a bit odd too for 2 tests.

Like the Selection of Rayudu and Rahane though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No Gambhir as backup Or any other opener with Dhawan and Vijay as incumbents. Hmmm....
Pujara's done so much opening lately that they probably see him moving up if need be as viable. Really surprised they've gone with Rayudu though.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
******* Ishant being selected again :( I just hope he doesn't play in any of the matches..Otherwise, a good squad...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah. Good squad, apart from Ishant. No looking back into the past with the opening partnership which is good. Zak there to guide the young pacers.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Does the order of the list in the tweet indicate what the line up will be, or is that was too optimistic?

Daemon

Not too sure how I feel about that Rayudu selection. Is he really next in line after Rahane?

Still, he's done well in his last few Ranji seasons and got some runs for India A so it's not a poor selection by any means. Doubt he'll play but I hope he goes well if he does.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Not too sure how I feel about that Rayudu selection. Is he really next in line after Rahane?

Still, he's done well in his last few Ranji seasons and got some runs for India A so it's not a poor selection by any means. Doubt he'll play but I hope he goes well if he does.
Should be, i guess considering Badrinath won't be selected and others like Juneja etc.... are still new.

Has done well recently and on A tours etc..

Personally would have selected Gambhir instead of one of Jadeja/Ojha and Ishwar Pandey instead of Ishant. (Assuming Badrinath and Pankaj Singh are out of contention).

Would've Been better balance that way, but i guess they feel Pujara opening with 2 of Jadeja/Rahane/Rayudu in middle order is better if need be. Plus Dhoni and Gambhir have had problems.

As for Ishant, Experience counted for him i assume in a newbie attack otherwise. Even if it's experience of being hit around everywhere in SA. :ph34r:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So I'd probably go:

Dhawan
Vijay
Pujara
Kohli
Rohit
Rahane
Dhoni
Ashwin
Bhuvi
Shami
Zaheer

The major fear is that they'll pick Jadeja and Ishant over Rahane and Zaheer.

Daemon

I actually think Vijay will do a fair job seeing off the new ball. He's a good leaver of the ball and he did that pretty well against Steyn when he was bowling a crazy spell back in the 2010 SA series. Has to protect the middle order from the new ball where most of our runs will come from, which imo he's capable of doing. Dhawan on the other hand is likely to struggle imo, especially against someone like Philander who's going to keep tempting him to go for his favourite shots.

It's only 2 tests so I doubt any of them will be dropped even if they fail in the first game, but having Gambhir as back up would have been nice, especially since he did so well last time they toured SA.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Gambhir being ignored is quite rubbish tbh. Dhoni backs a few players(for e.g. Ishant) no matter what but doesn't show the same support to every one.

OverratedSanity

Jadeja is a good selection. Just have a feeling he'll do well with the ball in SA. Every test in the last few years where SA have been pushed hard /beaten has for some invariably involved a big contribution from an opposition spinner. Harbhajan, Swann, Herath, Ajmal... So it wouldn't hurt to have a guy who can bowl and bat a bit as well. Ashwin + Jadeja to give us a win imo