• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International cricketers who should retire from a particular format

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Read thread title.

For me, the no-brainer here is Michael Clarke. Other than the fact that he is pretty good at it, I cannot fathom why he still feels the need to play ODIs. It's obvious that the impact he can potentially make in tests is infinitely greater than the impact that he can make in ODIs and with a back that could die at any moment one would think he should stick to the important stuff.

Who gets dropped when he returns from injury anyway; Hughes? Voges? Maxwell? I think it's time to make Bailey ODI captain with Steve Smith as his deputy being groomed for test captaincy, or just go ahead and make SMiffy captain with Bailey there to support him.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be smart of Kallis to announce his retirement this summer or else I fear him doing what Tendulkar, Dravid and Ponting did.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i mean, there's an ODI WC like 14 months away so I feel like Clarke, Swann et al probably shouldn't retire just yet

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
You're just scared he'll overtake Tendulkar's century record
wtf lol.

He's averaging around 20 this year and his overall has fallen from roughly 57 to 55. Plus he's now 38 and there's hardly anything he can gain in 1 yr. On the flip side, he could end up playing too long and hurting his overall stats even more. He's the last of the true ATGs and don't want him to slip further and let Sangakkara of all people end with clearly the highest average from the last generation.
Sanga 57
Kallis 55.4 ---> ~53/54 if he plays till world cup. I don't think he's good enough anymore. He struggled in the IPL as well after a long time. Plus he took 5 months off from the game this year, which is worst thing to do at this age. I strongly doubt he'll be able to consistently perform again. He's barely played any ODI cricket in the last two years, yet he believes he can go out there and perform in the world cup in another 1 year as an all-rounder. Will end up having one of the worst endings around imo.

I think I was one of the few who advocated Tendulkar to retire all throughout 2011 but he had to totally mess up his stats and legacy.
Ponting due to his stubbornes eked out 2 extra yrs. Time to him to go was 2010 after the Ashes (in Tests). Had one of worst declines around. Meanwhile, Dravid had been struggling since 2007 against all nations except the weaker ones, but luckily had a great series in England which salvaged his legacy. But still he embarrased himself in Aus with so many bowled dismissals and finished with a low avg of 51 after at one point being right up there with Ponting with avg of close to 60.
Hence it would be dumb of Kallis to not learn anything from his contemporaries' mistakes.

How sad would this look-

Ponting and Dravid 51
Lara 52
Tendulkar and Kallis 53
Daylight
Sangakkara 56 (He would end up being held in much higher regard in future than he is now. )

Yes, I don't see Sangakkara as an ATG and would love for him to play till 41 and finish with <50 avg. But he's super clever guy and I see him retiring after the next world cup with his avg and stats intact.

Say whatever cricketers' are mostly judged by their averages, especially in the subsequent eras. So hence why my emphasis is on that.

benchmark00

Who cares if Kallis' average goes down by two or three runs. People whose opinions on cricket are worth listening to don't judge players by final average.

Like everyone, Kallis should retire when he doesn't want to play anymore.

If he's no longer contributing to the team then he'll be dropped.

Retiring because he doesn't want to harm his stats is the worst reason to retire, and one which he would regret for the rest of his life.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Averages hardly matter as much as you've made out. Viv averaged lower than Gavaskar and Miandad, yet he's almost unanimously rated higher. Kallis isn't in good form but saying he's already in decline is premature.

Also Sangakkara isn't an ATG? Come on.... I don't rate him as high as his average suggests but he's undoubtedly an ATG

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
wtf lol.

He's averaging around 20 this year and his overall has fallen from roughly 57 to 55. Plus he's now 38 and there's hardly anything he can gain in 1 yr. On the flip side, he could end up playing too long and hurting his overall stats even more. He's the last of the true ATGs and don't want him to slip further and let Sangakkara of all people end with clearly the highest average from the last generation.
Sanga 57
Kallis 55.4 ---> ~53/54 if he plays till world cup. I don't think he's good enough anymore. He struggled in the IPL as well after a long time. Plus he took 5 months off from the game this year, which is worst thing to do at this age. I strongly doubt he'll be able to consistently perform again. He's barely played any ODI cricket in the last two years, yet he believes he can go out there and perform in the world cup in another 1 year as an all-rounder. Will end up having one of the worst endings around imo.

I think I was one of the few who advocated Tendulkar to retire all throughout 2011 but he had to totally mess up his stats and legacy.
Ponting due to his stubbornes eked out 2 extra yrs. Time to him to go was 2010 after the Ashes (in Tests). Had one of worst declines around. Meanwhile, Dravid had been struggling since 2007 against all nations except the weaker ones, but luckily had a great series in England which salvaged his legacy. But still he embarrased himself in Aus with so many bowled dismissals and finished with a low avg of 51 after at one point being right up there with Ponting with avg of close to 60.
Hence it would be dumb of Kallis to not learn anything from his contemporaries' mistakes.

How sad would this look-

Ponting and Dravid 51
Lara 52
Tendulkar and Kallis 53
Daylight
Sangakkara 56 (He would end up being held in much higher regard in future than he is now. )

Yes, I don't see Sangakkara as an ATG and would love for him to play till 41 and finish with <50 avg. But he's super clever guy and I see him retiring after the next world cup with his avg and stats intact.

Say whatever cricketers' are mostly judged by their averages, especially in the subsequent eras. So hence why my emphasis is on that.
Yeah Viv's last few years which reduced his average has really hurt his reputation hasn't it? Other than like 4 people on CW, no one judges him based on his final average.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also LOL @ you saying Sanga is super clever and so he'l retire to protect his average. Wtf.

Such silly posting.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Who cares if Kallis' average goes down by two or three runs. People whose opinions on cricket are worth listening to don't judge players by final average.

Like everyone, Kallis should retire when he doesn't want to play anymore.

If he's no longer contributing to the team then he'll be dropped.

Retiring because he doesn't want to harm his stats is the worst reason to retire, and one which he would regret for the rest of his life.
This one hundred percent. I mean, is Sutcliffe held above Hobbs?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah Kallis should go now, would hate for him to be keeping the likes of Jacques Rudolph and Dean Elgar waiting in the wings

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Honestly reckon the WIndies need to start looking beyond Chanderpaul and investing in some young batting talent.