Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: International cricketers who should retire from a particular format

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    that unzud knock was on a genuine kiwi greenie tbf to Sanga, and we've seen other great batsmen wave the white flag and bitch and moan about the pitch on those before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

The Hobart 192 was also an absolute gem, made a fair few of the runs strategically trying to bat with the tail.

Sanga will still be needed after WC 2015, also, SL only play like 8 test matches between now and then because their board doesn't like scheduling them, so I'd say there'd be a bit of hunger left afterwards. Both him and Herath may hang around longer than expected due to the lack of replacements as well
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    The Hobart 192 was also an absolute gem, made a fair few of the runs strategically trying to bat with the tail.
    ****ing rudi... I'm sure sangakkara would've won that for SL if it weren't for him

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    ****ing rudi... I'm sure sangakkara would've won that for SL if it weren't for him
    Nah, eventually either Malinga or Sanga would've cracked when it got close, was the MJ and PJ ducks that lost it, apparently Rudi apologized after the game, imagine how you'd feel making a **** decision that ends an innings like that

Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    Viv had a huge legacy behind him. He is an anomaly. 2nd or 3rd greatest ever.
    In a pool of players that always fight out for the number 2 spot
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Warner 3.Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Sarfraz 7. De Kock+ 8. Neesham 9. Johnson 10. Herath 11. Steyn

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Nah, eventually either Malinga or Sanga would've cracked when it got close, was the MJ and PJ ducks that lost it, apparently Rudi apologized after the game, imagine how you'd feel making a **** decision that ends an innings like that
    I really don't know about that. Sanga was completely in the zone... Another 40 runs or so and the australians would've started panicking big time. It's decisions like that which make it obvious that even with its flaws, DRS is an improvement

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    wtf lol.

He's averaging around 20 this year and his overall has fallen from roughly 57 to 55. Plus he's now 38 and there's hardly anything he can gain in 1 yr. On the flip side, he could end up playing too long and hurting his overall stats even more. He's the last of the true ATGs and don't want him to slip further and let Sangakkara of all people end with clearly the highest average from the last generation.
    Sanga 57
    Kallis 55.4 ---> ~53/54 if he plays till world cup. I don't think he's good enough anymore. He struggled in the IPL as well after a long time. Plus he took 5 months off from the game this year, which is worst thing to do at this age. I strongly doubt he'll be able to consistently perform again. He's barely played any ODI cricket in the last two years, yet he believes he can go out there and perform in the world cup in another 1 year as an all-rounder. Will end up having one of the worst endings around imo.

I think I was one of the few who advocated Tendulkar to retire all throughout 2011 but he had to totally mess up his stats and legacy.
    Ponting due to his stubbornes eked out 2 extra yrs. Time to him to go was 2010 after the Ashes (in Tests). Had one of worst declines around. Meanwhile, Dravid had been struggling since 2007 against all nations except the weaker ones, but luckily had a great series in England which salvaged his legacy. But still he embarrased himself in Aus with so many bowled dismissals and finished with a low avg of 51 after at one point being right up there with Ponting with avg of close to 60.
    Hence it would be dumb of Kallis to not learn anything from his contemporaries' mistakes.

How sad would this look-

Ponting and Dravid 51
    Lara 52
    Tendulkar and Kallis 53
    Daylight
    Sangakkara 56 (He would end up being held in much higher regard in future than he is now. )

Yes, I don't see Sangakkara as an ATG and would love for him to play till 41 and finish with <50 avg. But he's super clever guy and I see him retiring after the next world cup with his avg and stats intact.

Say whatever cricketers' are mostly judged by their averages, especially in the subsequent eras. So hence why my emphasis is on that.
    Sorry cm. Like your views mostly, but this is not your best work. Players like Kallis hardly make retirement decisions based on how much their batting average will fall. If they thought like that, they would never have become as great as they are. And we don't judge batsmen solely on averages. Quite the opposite on many occasions. Sutcliffe and Barrington are rated lower than many others like Hammond, Hobbs, Hutton, Grace, and even Compton, Dexter, Pietersen and Gower by some.

Headley is not universally considered better than Lara, Sobers or Viv, or for that matter the 3Ws. Within the 3 Ws, Worrell is rated the highest by many (Benaud and my former coach included). Kanhai is considered better than so many batsmen who have a better record.

There are many examples. And as for the people who just follow averages, no one gives much of a damn about what they think, and certainly the players should give them as scant a regard as possible.

Dhoni from tests.

Yeah, I said it.

Dhoni should take a big break from International T20s for sure. Retire, perhaps not, but at least let Karthik & co. try their hand at that format for India, if not tests. I don't see why players have to retire. I don't think Clarke should play ODIs, yes, but why should he retire from the format? Just keep him on the backburner, until the team desperately needs him for some reason.

Sanga from T20s. Thirimanne and Chandimal from T20s. Thisara Perera from tests. Herath from limited overs stuff. Mendis from all three formats.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Sanga from T20s. Thirimanne and Chandimal from T20s. Thisara Perera from tests. Herath from limited overs stuff. Mendis from all three formats.
    Don't agree with much of this tbh

Sanga is a class t20 player and SL's t20 international success if built off him, they need the prize money from the world t20, so I say keep him on till Dhaka 2014.

Both Thirrimanne are seen as leadership candidates, and t20 is somewhere where they can learn to lead in the international arena, but I sought of agree with you on this one.

Thisara has test potential, his bowling in particular has been successful at times in tests (think Pallekele 2012 vs Pak) and his batting is required with the weakness of the SL tail.

Herath should be kept until WC 2015, only because he is so damn good, although I'd like to see Seneneyake slowly take over the reigns over time.

Agree with you about Mendis, makes me vomit every time I see him bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Dhoni should take a big break from International T20s for sure. Retire, perhaps not, but at least let Karthik & co. try their hand at that format for India, if not tests. I don't see why players have to retire. I don't think Clarke should play ODIs, yes, but why should he retire from the format? Just keep him on the backburner, until the team desperately needs him for some reason.
    Dhoni isn't even the best wk or batsman India has. Saha is better in both depts. I'd still say DK is a better overseas batsman and about as good of a wk

Quote Originally Posted by JontyPanesar View Post
    Dhoni isn't even the best wk or batsman India has. Saha is better in both depts. I'd still say DK is a better overseas batsman and about as good of a wk
    Given. But we have never had a captain who Indians don't criticize when the team does badly for a while. Dhoni is the first after a long time. That is more valuable than it might seem.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Can't see Dhoni captaining India for too much longer in tests or indeed even playing in that format.

AT Most he will lead India to Australia next summer and then call it quits or perhaps even after India's tour to England in July/AUgust.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Given. But we have never had a captain who Indians don't criticize when the team does badly for a while. Dhoni is the first after a long time. That is more valuable than it might seem.
    Are you saying Dhoni didn't get criticism when India were sucking in 2011-12?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information