• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International cricketers who should retire from a particular format

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Viv's last few years which reduced his average has really hurt his reputation hasn't it? Other than like 4 people on CW, no one judges him based on his final average.
Viv had a huge legacy behind him. He is an anomaly. 2nd or 3rd greatest ever.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Who cares if Kallis' average goes down by two or three runs. People whose opinions on cricket are worth listening to don't judge players by final average.

Like everyone, Kallis should retire when he doesn't want to play anymore.

If he's no longer contributing to the team then he'll be dropped.

Retiring because he doesn't want to harm his stats is the worst reason to retire, and one which he would regret for the rest of his life.
But if Ponting had retired two-three yrs earlier, he'd be seen in much better light, wouldn't he? Not only would his avg have been higher, his legacy would've been kept intact more or less.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Also LOL @ you saying Sanga is super clever and so he'l retire to protect his average. Wtf.

Such silly posting.
Let's wait and see. After the next world cup, as soon as he has a little decline, he'll hang his boots imo.

And everyone seems to be forgetting that Viv dominated both the formats, so his legacy was never going to take much of a hit especially because he is from an era where cricket wasn't televised anywhere near as much.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But if Ponting had retired two-three yrs earlier, he'd be seen in much better light, wouldn't he? Not only would his avg have been higher, his legacy would've been kept intact more or less.
By who?

People who watched him would rightly rate him in the top echelon of batsmen of this era. Couldn't care less about the number next to his name.

Mumma_choose

Cricket Spectator
Averages hardly matter as much as you've made out. Viv averaged lower than Gavaskar and Miandad, yet he's almost unanimously rated higher. Kallis isn't in good form but saying he's already in decline is premature.

Also Sangakkara isn't an ATG? Come on.... I don't rate him as high as his average suggests but he's undoubtedly an ATG
Average outside the subcontinent is a fair 40....which is more in the good category than great...excluding Zimbabwe. Averages in the 30s in a number of countries ( not 1 or 2). People will point to a knock in NZ or the Hobart ton but you could do that for even the Samaraweeras, Sehwags and Jayawardenes of the world.

Flem274*

123/5
Honestly reckon the WIndies need to start looking beyond Chanderpaul and investing in some young batting talent.
like?

Chanders is easily in the Windies best six batsmen, even if he's going through a bit of a dip. If anything he needs to move up the order to four so he has time to compile a big score without getting stranded by the lower middle order.

The Windies are already investing in Bravo and Powell.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Average outside the subcontinent is a fair 40....which is more in the good category than great...excluding Zimbabwe. Averages in the 30s in a number of countries ( not 1 or 2). People will point to a knock in NZ or the Hobart ton but you could do that for even the Samaraweeras, Sehwags and Jayawardenes of the world.
Sehwag is unique. He can't be clubbed together with the others because of what he brought to the table as a test cricketer at his best. I wouldn't personally call him one of the greats but wouldn't try to convince others he wasn't one either if someone said he was.

OverratedSanity

I agree with those points actually... He does have a few holes in his record which is why I can't put him up there with Sachin Lara ponting and Kallis. That doesn't mean he isn't a great player though

Flem274*

123/5
that unzud knock was on a genuine kiwi greenie tbf to Sanga, and we've seen other great batsmen wave the white flag and bitch and moan about the pitch on those before.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The Hobart 192 was also an absolute gem, made a fair few of the runs strategically trying to bat with the tail.

Sanga will still be needed after WC 2015, also, SL only play like 8 test matches between now and then because their board doesn't like scheduling them, so I'd say there'd be a bit of hunger left afterwards. Both him and Herath may hang around longer than expected due to the lack of replacements as well

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
****ing rudi... I'm sure sangakkara would've won that for SL if it weren't for him
Nah, eventually either Malinga or Sanga would've cracked when it got close, was the MJ and PJ ducks that lost it, apparently Rudi apologized after the game, imagine how you'd feel making a **** decision that ends an innings like that

OverratedSanity

Nah, eventually either Malinga or Sanga would've cracked when it got close, was the MJ and PJ ducks that lost it, apparently Rudi apologized after the game, imagine how you'd feel making a **** decision that ends an innings like that
I really don't know about that. Sanga was completely in the zone... Another 40 runs or so and the australians would've started panicking big time. It's decisions like that which make it obvious that even with its flaws, DRS is an improvement

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wtf lol.

He's averaging around 20 this year and his overall has fallen from roughly 57 to 55. Plus he's now 38 and there's hardly anything he can gain in 1 yr. On the flip side, he could end up playing too long and hurting his overall stats even more. He's the last of the true ATGs and don't want him to slip further and let Sangakkara of all people end with clearly the highest average from the last generation.
Sanga 57
Kallis 55.4 ---> ~53/54 if he plays till world cup. I don't think he's good enough anymore. He struggled in the IPL as well after a long time. Plus he took 5 months off from the game this year, which is worst thing to do at this age. I strongly doubt he'll be able to consistently perform again. He's barely played any ODI cricket in the last two years, yet he believes he can go out there and perform in the world cup in another 1 year as an all-rounder. Will end up having one of the worst endings around imo.

I think I was one of the few who advocated Tendulkar to retire all throughout 2011 but he had to totally mess up his stats and legacy.
Ponting due to his stubbornes eked out 2 extra yrs. Time to him to go was 2010 after the Ashes (in Tests). Had one of worst declines around. Meanwhile, Dravid had been struggling since 2007 against all nations except the weaker ones, but luckily had a great series in England which salvaged his legacy. But still he embarrased himself in Aus with so many bowled dismissals and finished with a low avg of 51 after at one point being right up there with Ponting with avg of close to 60.
Hence it would be dumb of Kallis to not learn anything from his contemporaries' mistakes.

How sad would this look-

Ponting and Dravid 51
Lara 52
Tendulkar and Kallis 53
Daylight
Sangakkara 56 (He would end up being held in much higher regard in future than he is now. )

Yes, I don't see Sangakkara as an ATG and would love for him to play till 41 and finish with <50 avg. But he's super clever guy and I see him retiring after the next world cup with his avg and stats intact.

Say whatever cricketers' are mostly judged by their averages, especially in the subsequent eras. So hence why my emphasis is on that.
Sorry cm. Like your views mostly, but this is not your best work. Players like Kallis hardly make retirement decisions based on how much their batting average will fall. If they thought like that, they would never have become as great as they are. And we don't judge batsmen solely on averages. Quite the opposite on many occasions. Sutcliffe and Barrington are rated lower than many others like Hammond, Hobbs, Hutton, Grace, and even Compton, Dexter, Pietersen and Gower by some.

Headley is not universally considered better than Lara, Sobers or Viv, or for that matter the 3Ws. Within the 3 Ws, Worrell is rated the highest by many (Benaud and my former coach included). Kanhai is considered better than so many batsmen who have a better record.

There are many examples. And as for the people who just follow averages, no one gives much of a damn about what they think, and certainly the players should give them as scant a regard as possible.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhoni should take a big break from International T20s for sure. Retire, perhaps not, but at least let Karthik & co. try their hand at that format for India, if not tests. I don't see why players have to retire. I don't think Clarke should play ODIs, yes, but why should he retire from the format? Just keep him on the backburner, until the team desperately needs him for some reason.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga from T20s. Thirimanne and Chandimal from T20s. Thisara Perera from tests. Herath from limited overs stuff. Mendis from all three formats.