• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst World Cup winner

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay I was doing this exciting quiz on Sporcle (yeah I know how to live on a Saturday night),and looking at some of the names I thought that a few were a bit crap.

So who is the worst IYHO. Trying to think there career over all and in the particular World Cup, for instance Veletta was ****e, but he did hit a few decent innings to help Oz win their totally undeserved title in '87, so think you can rule him out.

Greg Dyer was pretty **** too (still bitter). Pramodya Wickramasinghe might be in with a shout, as may Kirti Azad, Sresanth the last name on that list also maybe tempting.

Oh and yes I do realise that an they're all better than any Englishman because they've actually won one.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sreesanth is the worst player to win two world cups.

1.Sreesanth
2. Nehra
3. Patel
4. Chawla
5. Yusuf Pathan

****ing journeymen.

grecian

Sreesanth is the worst player to win two world cups.

1.Sreesanth
2. Nehra
3. Patel
4. Chawla
5. Yusuf Pathan

****ing journeymen.
Ahh was just talking about 50 over ones, I'm guessing t-20 would give us a fair few options, Lumb won FFS.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India 83 was a side chock full of mediocrity with a couple of genuine stars. That team was the worst WC winning side by a mile

grecian

India 83 was a side chock full of mediocrity with a couple of genuine stars. That team was the worst WC winning side by a mile
I was kind of interested in your view on Dyer as I can't really remember anything about him apart from the catch that got old poor Mike Gatting, and set back England ODI cricket 20 years. Was he a decent glovesman?

Last edited:

Flametree

International 12th Man
I was kind of interested in your view on Dyer as I can't really remember anything about him apart from the catch that got old poor Mike Gatting, and set back England ODI cricket 20 years. Was he a decent glovesman?

Decent if he could have two grabs at it and play under the one-bounce-one-hand rule maybe....

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Any Indian bowler from 2011 not named Zaheer Khan.
Ridiculously one-eyed post.

Munaf Patel for all the jokes about his fitness was actually a pretty decent ODI bowler and was good in that World Cup.
Harbhajan wasn't a bad ODI bowler - certainly wasn't any worse than Peter taylor who was in the Aussie world cup wining team of 1987 or Shastri who was in India's 83 squad.

The only one genuinely gash in India's 2011 squad was Sreesanth.

Shri

Mr. Glass
For some reason always makes me think of hobbits whenever I see him playing.
Did you ever see Parthiv Patel play? Now that was a genuine Hobbit. Chawla more like a dwarf.

These guys would be a part of a Hobbits and Dwarves XI:

S Tendulkar
P Patel
R Powar
P Chawla

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was decent for his time in Australian cricket, keeping in mind Wayne Philkips had been dispensed with and the cupboard was largely bare - iirc Stumper Rixon, who was a pretty decent glove man, had gone on a rebel tour and there weren't a lot of others about. He was a pretty ordinary batsman, but he kept well on a low, turning scg deck to Holland, Bennett and Matthews so I think he came into consideration because of that. Ray Phillips was very unlucky not to get a game, and they then went for Zoehrer after Dyer completely fell away following the Andrew Jones catch he claimed which wasn't.

To that extent times have changed, I suppose. His non catch of Jones was nowhere near as bad as Dhoni's of Pietersen, yet Dhoni was made captain of his country.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Nah Nehra was gash. But he bowled well in the semi somehow against Pakistan.
I'm no fan of Nehra but he was miles better than Sreesanth in ODis.

He did have his moments in ODIs over the years and his stats aren't terrible - they're better than Tim Bresnan's !!
But of course sacrileage of me to suggest an Indian seamer could possibly be better than an English one :D

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I hate it when I see Sreesanth in that pic with Indian team holding the trophy. He has ruined the moment forever for us.