• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Jonty Rhodes the best fielder International Cricket has seen ?

Jumno

U19 Captain
Rhodes, Ponting, Symonds, Gibbs, Yuvraj, Kaif, Raina, Collingwood

Yuvraj in that 2011 WC final first 10 overs, stuff of legends

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jonty was definitely in his own league though compared to those others. I suppose Ponting esp. was a better catcher and thus a more all-format and probably all-round fielder (and there maybe few more like that), but in terms of sheer LO fielding, there has not been anyone who stood out from the pack like Jonty in my time of watching cricket.

number11

U19 Captain
Jonty's probably the only guy better known for his fielding than other attributes of Cricket.

But Fielding ability is more subjective than batting or bowling ability.You have stats measuring the number of catches and runouts you've achieved, but you can't measure the number of runs you have saved in the field completely accurately.

I'm sure that for everyone who started watching cricket in the 1990s, Jonty was the prime example of world class fielding. But Cricket goes back a long way before the 1990s and the possibility of better fielders being around before him can't be discarded. Also, the game has become faster since Jonty's time with the rise of T20s and more ODI cricket, giving way to higher standards of fielding than ever before.

So,is he really the best the International game saw? Or is his ability on the field overhyped because he was the first 'fielding superstar' after TV made Cricket bigger than before?

PS. There might have been better cricket in First Class cricket who never made it to the International Scene, but for the sake of this thread, let's keep the discussion limited to fielders who played International cricket.
Ponting, Roger Harper were his equals.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Jonty was definitely in his own league though compared to those others. I suppose Ponting esp. was a better catcher and thus a more all-format and probably all-round fielder (and there maybe few more like that), but in terms of sheer LO fielding, there has not been anyone who stood out from the pack like Jonty in my time of watching cricket.
Jonty was better at stopping the ball, but Harris and Ponting were better at actually hitting the stumps.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Ponting being an atg batsman may hurt the perception of him as a fielder imho

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jonty is an interesting study on the importance of fielding in the game.
I’ve seen his feats of brilliance especially in the white ball format. They stood out. He was on the edge of the circle.

Looking at what the outfielders do these days in the white ball game, can see how much Jonty’s impacted them.

It’s almost as important the way in which leg-spin had a revival due to Warne’s presence.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Jonty was better at stopping the ball, but Harris and Ponting were better at actually hitting the stumps.
Ponting hit the stumps quite a lot more often. Probably was better at it. Jonty was throwing at essentially 1 stump from the edge of the ring at backward point to point most of the time. And very little time to release the ball unless it's going directly to him. Ponting would miss a lot more from there too

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Noone's rivaled Jonty's explosiveness from a low center of gravity. Noone's sprung up faster from a dead sprawl on the ground to release a ball either.