• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Jonty Rhodes the best fielder International Cricket has seen ?

Flametree

International 12th Man
My Dad was a regular at Old Trafford in the 70's and says a Clive Lloyd was amazing in the covers in his younger years.... he didn't maintain the standard into his late 30s the way Ponting did of course.

No fielding thread is complete without mentioning Derek Randall.

And back in the days of ODI tri-series, Allan Border just owned the short midwicket position...

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
those one handed flying catches at point/gully are my absolute favorite thing in cricket

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Warner is a genuine weapon in the field. You rarely see someone used like him - you see weak guys moved where they are in the firing line, but they just put Davey wherever the firing line is. He's a specific part of bowling plans.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
My Dad was a regular at Old Trafford in the 70's and says a Clive Lloyd was amazing in the covers in his younger years.... he didn't maintain the standard into his late 30s the way Ponting did of course.

No fielding thread is complete without mentioning Derek Randall.

And back in the days of ODI tri-series, Allan Border just owned the short midwicket position...
Good to see a mention of Randall in this. Don't really remember him in his prime, but recall highlights of him from the 70s.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Among the fielders I have seen; ABD is probably the best all round. Smith is capable of magic in the slips, Maxwell a beast in the outfield and Jadeja knows how to make a throw. Though according to my father, Jonty was easily the best.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think the best thing I can say about Jonty is inspired kids to want to enjoy fielding. He lit up the 90s with his fielding and energy. Like a proper jack in the box. His fielding hero was Peter Kirsten.

If you find the time, good watch.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
^This. Rhodes was iconic and a trendsetter, just leagues above everyone else at the time (the leaping salmon pics are forever). The reputation he built up when there weren't too many sprinters between wickets meant he always came in to bat with a 15-20 run surplus at least.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
He was very, very good. An excellent athlete, although perhaps a bit overrated.

His relatively smaller stature made some of his grabs look a lot more spectacular than if you had a taller fielder there with a bit more range. Something of an Iker Casillas effect, I'd say.

Still he was a sight to behold, and didn't hesitate going full horizontal for a dive. That plus having good hands and arm, puts him already in the top percentile of fielders to ever play the game.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, they really were outstanding. Starsports was showing highlights of Tendulkar's hundred in the cb series final of 2008, and even more impressive than Tendulkar's knock was Australia's all round fielding that day. They saved atleast 40-50 runs. No joke.

Oh yeah and inb4tendulkarhighjacksallthreads
Clarke was outstanding at taking catches on the bounce...:ph34r:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Good but not in this company
Sobers wasn't in the class of even Kanhai or Nurse? Though I have read lots of amazing things about Nurse in particular.

From everything I've read, heard and watched on YouTube he seems to be without doubt among the greatest catchers and fielders of all time

From just a cursory glance on the interwebs IMG_20240404_103236.jpgIMG_20240404_103136.jpgIMG_20240404_103036.jpgIMG_20240404_101537.jpgIMG_20240404_101450.jpgIMG_20240404_101405.jpg