• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Jonty Rhodes the best fielder International Cricket has seen ?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Jonty was way better than any one else i have seen. Guys like Ponting, De Villiers have been outstanding, no doubt about that, but Jonty was a freak, he was just too quick.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are batsmen in general better fielders than bowlers? Is there more to it than the greater need for a faster reaction time and hand eye coordination for batsmen?
In Sri Lankan experience it's different. Only Jaya and Dilshan had been quite good with the bat, but both of them were able bowlers, and guys like Chandana, Dharmasena, Murali, Kalpage and Senanayake are primarily bowlers. Mahanama was awful as a test bat, but had some success in ODIs.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting for me is the best ever, Jonty just was no match for Punter in terms of hitting the stumps. Jonty was amazing at stopping balls, but Punter would get you more wickets with run outs and freakish catches in ANY position, in any format of the game.
I remember that video of yours with every runout Ponting had affected in international cricket. Best. Video. Ever.

Any chance of an updated version? He might have made a few more after you uploaded that...

archie mac

International Coach
I thought Harper the best but not much in it. Perhaps JR did not hit the stumps enough. Never saw Colin Bland but he must have been something special as I have seen some all time XIs include him just for his fielding

adub

International Captain
Bob Simpson was a hellova fielder. Mostly a slipper obvs so not so well remembered for ground fielding. Tubs was the same. Just so great at first slip against pace or spin.

Harper was a freak, much like Rhodes.

but Mark Waugh and Ponting were the top shelf I reckon. Junior was also a great ground fielder like Punter. Both had impossibly superb hands, incredible anticipation and deadly accurate throws close to the wicket.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
My favourite fielder was Roger Twose. Saw him take some superb catches at gully and cover.
Guys like Collingwood and Ponting came remotely close. Rhodes truly was on a different level though. There might have been a few in FC cricket that I am not aware of, but of all the cricket I've seen, Rhodes was easily the best. Symonds was brilliant as well as is Andre Russell.

Edit: I've forgotten about Trevor Penney. It's a close call between Rhodes and Penney.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Gotta be Jonty Rhodes for me, I feel he gets a bit hard done by because he stood out at a time when fielding wasn't given that much importance. I reckon if he was a player in today's time he would be an even better fielder than he was back them, regardless of whether its ground fielding or slips catching or w/e.

Ab devilliers is an absolute freak as well.

JBMAC

State Captain
Colin Bland, Norm O'Neill, Roger Harper,Neil Harvey, Andrew Symonds, Ricky Ponting, Rohan Kanhai, Alvin Kallicharan, Seymour Nurse, Greg Chappell, Colin Cowdrey. That's eleven who are ALL equal to or better than Jonty Rhodes