• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Jonty Rhodes the best fielder International Cricket has seen ?

salman85

International Debutant
Jonty's probably the only guy better known for his fielding than other attributes of Cricket.

But Fielding ability is more subjective than batting or bowling ability.You have stats measuring the number of catches and runouts you've achieved, but you can't measure the number of runs you have saved in the field completely accurately.

I'm sure that for everyone who started watching cricket in the 1990s, Jonty was the prime example of world class fielding. But Cricket goes back a long way before the 1990s and the possibility of better fielders being around before him can't be discarded. Also, the game has become faster since Jonty's time with the rise of T20s and more ODI cricket, giving way to higher standards of fielding than ever before.

So,is he really the best the International game saw? Or is his ability on the field overhyped because he was the first 'fielding superstar' after TV made Cricket bigger than before?

PS. There might have been better cricket in First Class cricket who never made it to the International Scene, but for the sake of this thread, let's keep the discussion limited to fielders who played International cricket.

salman85

International Debutant
The way they catch Tendulkar's undies everytime he throws them around in the dressing room ?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
My favourite fielder was Roger Twose. Saw him take some superb catches at gully and cover.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Andrew Symonds was another of the great fielders. Saved runs, took tough catches and executed many direct hit run outs.

subshakerz

International Coach
Jonty's probably the only guy better known for his fielding than other attributes of Cricket.

But Fielding ability is more subjective than batting or bowling ability.You have stats measuring the number of catches and runouts you've achieved, but you can't measure the number of runs you have saved in the field completely accurately.

I'm sure that for everyone who started watching cricket in the 1990s, Jonty was the prime example of world class fielding. But Cricket goes back a long way before the 1990s and the possibility of better fielders being around before him can't be discarded. Also, the game has become faster since Jonty's time with the rise of T20s and more ODI cricket, giving way to higher standards of fielding than ever before.

So,is he really the best the International game saw? Or is his ability on the field overhyped because he was the first 'fielding superstar' after TV made Cricket bigger than before?

PS. There might have been better cricket in First Class cricket who never made it to the International Scene, but for the sake of this thread, let's keep the discussion limited to fielders who played International cricket.
Best ground fielder I believe. Best catcher probably is Mark Waugh.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope. Jonty was a phenomenal ground fielder, maybe the best ever, and saved a truckload of runs for SA, but overall he's kind of overrated as a fielder.
From ones I've seen, Ponting is the clear number 1. Probably not as good as Jonty as a ground fielder but still phenomenal, a brilliant catcher at point, in the slips, even at forward short leg and silly point, and took some amazing catches even in the outfield. He was brilliant in virtually every position
But the thing that makes him the best for me is how often he ran out batsmen with direct hits. His success rate when he let loose was just freaky... Especially in the late 90s and early 2000s he hit the stumps for fun.

Among others, Colin Bland was probably the best ever... My dad never shuts up about him and maintains that Jonty and Ponting don't come close to him

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Symonds is the best I've seen outside of the slips. Ponting was gun anywhere. Jonty was an excellent groundfielder. Mark Waugh the best slipper.

Rogers Harper was awesome. Viv was awesome. Paul Collingwood was awesome.

All were good at different aspects.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
We also remember Jonty for his fielding because he was exponentially better at that than his batting. Ponting can rival Jonty as a fielder imho

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Jonty's ground fielding was unmatched as has been said in this thread. Since then I think De Villiers and Gibbs were absolutely phenomenal at ground fielding.

But I'd be very interested to know about some of the players before the TV age and the 90s who were known for their excellent fielding which is what I suspect Salman85 is asking.
Maybe the Burgeys of the forum can help us with that.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Thinking about this further, I think the fielding is what sets ODI's apart from the other two formats. For mine there was nothing better than watching Australia in the field in the late 90's-early 00's in home ODI's with Ponting, Bevan, Symonds, Clarke, MWaugh etc fielding, particularly when they fielded second as the light was fading.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
People tend to forget Roshan Mahanama. Jaysuriya, Kumar Dharmasena, Upul Chandana were as good as Dilshan today in their hayday. Mahanama was in a different class though.