• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Law seeks British citizinship

Craig

World Traveller
I read today that when Stuart Law goes to England next year he will be seeking citizinship in two years or as soon as possible. But the thing is he hasnt ruled out playing for England, but he said his heart wouldnt be in it.

Law is 35 so he would have no chance of doing that.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Its too late for Law to think about playing for England. He is 35 and England's recent team selections have been geared towards young upcoming players.

Craig

World Traveller
I'd agree. I have more chances of survival by wearing a River Plate shirt and sitting among Boca Junior fans.

For those who dont know, these two football clubs hate each others guts and riots are common.

Craig

World Traveller
He said when he becomes a British Citizin, he didnt quite rule himself out as he never knew what might happen.

Bazza

International 12th Man
We don't want him anyway. A few years ago maybe but I would take Graeme Hick over him these days (which says plenty).

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Bazza said:
We don't want him anyway. A few years ago maybe but I would take Graeme Hick over him these days (which says plenty).
Didn't he score over 1800 runs at an average of over 90 last English summer? Looking at your side you need all the quality players you can get.:lol: :lol:

krkode

State Captain
I think Law could do good for England what he barely had the chance to do for Australia.

But it'll have to be seen whether he'll be selected, which, as has been said, is unlikely.

The problem with the English is their bowling, not their batting, IMHO.

Bazza

International 12th Man
mavric41 said:
Didn't he score over 1800 runs at an average of over 90 last English summer? Looking at your side you need all the quality players you can get.:lol: :lol:
That he does and his record is very impressive - over 21000 runs and 63 centuries, an average of 50+.

However the point is Law is 35, in two years when he qualifies that will make him 37. That is time to retire.

anzac

International Debutant
a waste of time & effort IMO - he should have done this when he lost the QLD Captaincy if he was really serious....

so far as his international record goes just add him to the list like Greg Blewett & Co as players that didn't make it for OZ that would have done so elsewhere.........

Tarsh

Cricket Spectator
As a QLDer abd Bulls fan I'm gonna miss Stuey when he leaves but he might as well go for it, there's some good batters coming through the QLD ranks so his place will be filled here.

As for playing for England at 37....Alec Stewart was 40 when he retired!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tarsh said:
As for playing for England at 37....Alec Stewart was 40 when he retired!
But had been playing for the previous 15 years, not coming in at 37.

I cannot see how we'd need him to be honest - it's bowlers we want!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anzac said:
so far as his international record goes just add him to the list like Greg Blewett & Co as players that didn't make it for OZ that would have done so elsewhere.........
An interesting comment there anzac.

I don't think you can say anyone who hasn't played much International Cricket would have "made it" if he were playing for another side.

Also, bracketing him with Blewett is a strange one - Blewett has played 46 Tests for an average of 34.02, which hardly suggests to me he'd have made it playing for anyone else!!!!!

anzac

International Debutant
Craig said:
He actually resigned Anzac.
I thought he'd lost it and then ruled himself out or something....anyway makes no difference so far as that's when it would have been the right opportunity to make a fresh start.....

:)

anzac

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
An interesting comment there anzac.

I don't think you can say anyone who hasn't played much International Cricket would have "made it" if he were playing for another side.

Also, bracketing him with Blewett is a strange one - Blewett has played 46 Tests for an average of 34.02, which hardly suggests to me he'd have made it playing for anyone else!!!!!

maybe not but I'm sure he'd have got the opportunity playing elsewhere, particularly in ODIs as that's where he was 'targeted' until Symonds & Lehman became fixtures.....

I also got the impression that he wasn't quite politically correct or something a la Dean Jones..........

So far as Blewett is concerned 34 is a handy enough average for a lot of teams in Test cricket, let alone the fact that he could play both forms of the game - I know NZ would love to have an option like him at the moment :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Law has ruled it out, he said he was applying for citizenship so he could live over in England with his wife, who is from Lancashire, when he retires.

Anzac, you say NZ could do with a player like Blewett? Right, a bits and pieces player at International level who can take useful wickets and contribute with the bat? I thought they had too many of them already :P

Craig

World Traveller
So does England have enought bits and pieces players. Namely Michael Vaughan in one-day cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
But had been playing for the previous 15 years, not coming in at 37.

I cannot see how we'd need him to be honest - it's bowlers we want!
If he was 7 years younger I'd take him if he wanted to play in 2 years time. In place of any of our current batting-line-up.