• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brian Lara a true Gent

Singh Is King

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
As many pub debates I've had with my cricket team about the 2nd best batsman of all time (majority agree Bradman is the best) (usually about 14 drunk English guys lol) the vast majority say Sachin is better than Lara. I for one literally go back and forth with who I think is better out of the 2, but his statistics do make me favour Sachin now. Anyways, Sachin is a gentleman, very kind and polite from what we have seen on TV... But for the debate of who is a more of a true Gent lol hats of to Lara for saying what he did:

"Tendulkar has had the greatest cricket career of anyone who has ever played the game," said Lara.

Lara, 44, and Tendulkar have similar records, with Lara averaging just under 53 in his 131 Tests and Tendulkar a fraction over 53.

Tendulkar last year became the only batsman in history to score 100 international centuries, and he will become the first man to play 200 Tests.

"The impact he has had on his game, his country, the rest of the world is incredible," added Lara, who scored 11,953 Test runs.

"His stats speak for themselves," continued Lara. "I don't think there is any 16-year-old who is going to embark on the sort of career that Sachin Tendulkar has had and walk away from the game at 40 with such great achievements.

"He's the Muhammad Ali and the Michael Jordan of cricket. You think of the great boxers and basketball players, but if you were to talk about the game then you would have to talk about Sachin."

Singh Is King

Nothing is believable until the source of any article is cited.
BBC Sport - Sachin Tendulkar is greatest cricketer in history - Brian Lara

"Monk"
Luckily your opinion is not as respected and believed as very well as respected old Legends. Just for you Monk and some annoying haters who never seem to ever vindicate their abuse of the man... Here is my very favourite all time players with quotes I found from them (Non Indian dont worry). :D

"I saw him playing on television and was struck by his technique, so I asked my wife to come look at him. Now I never saw myself play, but I feel that this player is playing much the same as I used to play, and she looked at him on Television and said yes, there is a similarity between the two... his compactness, technique, stroke production... it all seemed to gel": Sir Donald Bradman. in my opinion Best of all time

"There is no shame being beaten by such a great player, Sachin is perhaps only next to the Don": Steve Waugh. (My favourite Aussie batsman after Sir Don)

"You take Don Bradman away and he is next up I reckon" Steve Waugh.

"He was unstoppable. I don't think anyone, apart from Don Bradman, is in the same class as Sachin Tendulkar. He is just an amazing player": Shane Warne. (My favourtie Spinner of all time)

"For cricket, Sachin is Maradona and Pele put together. Cricket will be a poorer sport when he quits the game. He is the first name that comes to mind the moment you ask who is the greatest." Alan Donald - my favourtie Seam bowler that I have seen.

"Sachin is in a different class to Lara as a professional cricketer. He is a model cricketer, and despite the intolerable pressures he faces back home, he remains a really nice guy… Sachin is also the best batsman in the world, pulling away from Brain Lara every year.." Alan Donald

"Sachin is a genius. I'm a mere mortal" ... B Lara - My favourite batsman to watch along with Sachin

"If he is not the best then I want to see the best" David Shepard - easily my favourite umpire !

"He has defined cricket in his fabulous, impeccable manner. He is to batting what Shane Warne is to bowling" - Richie Benaud my favourite Commentator

Thats just me googling my Favourites, didnt even type in anyone else - batsman of all time (Sir Don), Favourite spinner (Warne), Favoutie Quick (Donald), Favourite Aussie :D (Waugh) and favourite Umpire/Commentator.
Getting tiresome all these belittling comments against Sachin which go against what Legends (selected favourite few players above) who are respected a lot more than some Over thinking Critics on Cricket Web Forum.

Singh Is King

BBC Sport - Sachin Tendulkar is greatest cricketer in history - Brian Lara

"Monk"
Luckily your opinion is not as respected and believed as very well as respected old Legends. Just for you Monk and some annoying haters who never seem to ever vindicate their abuse of the man... Here is my very favourite all time players with quotes I found from them (Non Indian dont worry). :D

"I saw him playing on television and was struck by his technique, so I asked my wife to come look at him. Now I never saw myself play, but I feel that this player is playing much the same as I used to play, and she looked at him on Television and said yes, there is a similarity between the two... his compactness, technique, stroke production... it all seemed to gel": Sir Donald Bradman. in my opinion Best of all time

"There is no shame being beaten by such a great player, Sachin is perhaps only next to the Don": Steve Waugh. (My favourite Aussie batsman after Sir Don)

"You take Don Bradman away and he is next up I reckon" Steve Waugh.

"He was unstoppable. I don't think anyone, apart from Don Bradman, is in the same class as Sachin Tendulkar. He is just an amazing player": Shane Warne. (My favourtie Spinner of all time)

"For cricket, Sachin is Maradona and Pele put together. Cricket will be a poorer sport when he quits the game. He is the first name that comes to mind the moment you ask who is the greatest." Alan Donald - my favourtie Seam bowler that I have seen.

"Sachin is in a different class to Lara as a professional cricketer. He is a model cricketer, and despite the intolerable pressures he faces back home, he remains a really nice guy… Sachin is also the best batsman in the world, pulling away from Brain Lara every year.." Alan Donald

"Sachin is a genius. I'm a mere mortal" ... B Lara - My favourite batsman to watch along with Sachin

"If he is not the best then I want to see the best" David Shepard - easily my favourite umpire !

"He has defined cricket in his fabulous, impeccable manner. He is to batting what Shane Warne is to bowling" - Richie Benaud my favourite Commentator

Thats just me googling my Favourites, didnt even type in anyone else - batsman of all time (Sir Don), Favourite spinner (Warne), Favoutie Quick (Donald), Favourite Aussie :D (Waugh) and favourite Umpire/Commentator.
Getting tiresome all these belittling comments against Sachin which go against what Legends (selected favourite few players above) who are respected a lot more than some Over thinking Critics on Cricket Web Forum.
Im saying I value cold hard statistics and facts and what Absolute legends of the game say, rather than someone who can ignore all of that like this "Monk" guy.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I've watched as much of Sobers as I can find, and read as much as I can read, in the past few months.

And I gotta say, I think he was an even better batsman than Tendulkar