• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2015 World cup ticket prices (NZ) announced

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It also gets uncomfortable on the bank and you can't stretch out when every man and his dog is there.
And when, pray tell, can you stretch out at the Westpac? And how comfortable would those ****ty yellow seats be if you were there for a Test match? Get a soul, man.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
And when, pray tell, can you stretch out at the Westpac? And how comfortable would those ****ty yellow seats be if you were there for a Test match? Get a soul, man.
I'm just winding you up. But on a serious note you get a broader demographic at Westpac and that's better for the growth of the game. Kids, youth, teenagers and people looking to get pissed turn up. The basin typically gets members of the cricket community (I recognise 1 out 30 people at the basin from playing cricket) and long time cricket supporters who turn out there for every test and probably have been for the past 30 years.

HeathDavisSpeed

I'm just winding you up. But on a serious note you get a broader demographic at Westpac and that's better for the growth of the game. Kids, youth, teenagers and people looking to get pissed turn up. The basin typically gets members of the cricket community (I recognise 1 out 30 people at the basin from playing cricket) and long time cricket supporters who turn out there for every test and probably have been for the past 30 years.
Like used to be the case for rugby, before everyone got fed up with how **** the Westpac Stadium is for the primary sport for which it was built.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The primary advantage of Westpac for limited overs matches which you will never be able to refute is the fact it a) next to the train station b) has a massive car park next to it c) numerous car parking random lots that people open up around the ground

It has good clean facilities (washrooms) and it has good concession stands and beer outlets that would be overwhelmed by a massive crowd at the basin.

No I would not want to see a test match there either as 1) it has a drop in pitch 2) the boundaries are a bit weird 3) 5 000 fans on day 3 of a test would get lost in there.

HeathDavisSpeed

The primary advantage of Westpac for limited overs matches which you will never be able to refute is the fact it a) next to the train station b) has a massive car park next to it c) numerous car parking random lots that people open up around the ground

It has good clean facilities (washrooms) and it has good concession stands and beer outlets that would be overwhelmed by a massive crowd at the basin.

No I would not want to see a test match there either as 1) it has a drop in pitch 2) the boundaries are a bit weird 3) 5 000 fans on day 3 of a test would get lost in there.
I'm happy for the Westpac to get 20:20 internationals, but sitting there for 100 overs with expensive, **** beer amongst a crowd of at most 12,000 for an ODI (these days, granted the crowds used to be more significant) for an ODI is ****.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A-hahaha-hahahaha. I'd actually be laughing out loud if it wasn't so sad.
The funny thing is, I've actually already had my little rant about it on here before but subsequently forgot, probably just because it was so inexplicable. Possibly fair enough for the quarter-final I guess, but there should be at least some games at the Basin.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A world cup qf is one of the rare occasions where using the stadium's 30,000+ capacity might actually be justified. Having said that, I agree that it's pathetic that they're not holding any games at the Basin. The England v SRL match, in particular would've been fantastic if it'd been held at the Basin.
no, it just isn't big enough. There would be more than 10K that would turn up for that game, without a doubt. Possibly the whole Sri Lankan community, as well as the English.

Test matches, absolutely, the Basin is the premier venue.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So, the presale email went out today. Considering the underwhelming turnout at a lot of NZ games recently, I'm not totally convinced there's any urgency to get in there and snap them up straight away. What do y'all think? How much of a difference will the aura of the World Cup make to NZers' (and particularly Aucklanders') general cricketing apathy?

benchmark00

I had access a month or so ago to two WC final tix as a part of the MCG staff thing. Decided to forego as I cbf. Standing by my decision.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
So stoked we have tickets to India vs. Pakistan in Adelaide,

Great for the city as well, huge exposure of over 1 billion in television audience. I think India are also based here so they'll generate lots of attention and people stopping over hopefully.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So, the presale email went out today. Considering the underwhelming turnout at a lot of NZ games recently, I'm not totally convinced there's any urgency to get in there and snap them up straight away. What do y'all think? How much of a difference will the aura of the World Cup make to NZers' (and particularly Aucklanders') general cricketing apathy?
Not sure about NZ, but I've snapped up almost all the games that I knew I wanted to go.

Got MCC tickets to all Ind vs. SA, QF and Final and just bought my tickets to Ind vs. Pak in Adelaide.

I can't imagine that these are likely to sell out or anything, but I feel more comfortable knowing I've got the tickets.

Looking forward to getting over to Adelaide for the Ind vs. Pak game. Very confident that my attendance alone will result in Pakistan finally beating India in a World Cup game. Indian fans should be hating me aws.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The India game at Eden Park will get a crowd. Doubt any of the others will pull more than 10,000. Makes it all the more stupid that there are no games scheduled for the Basin.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, people don't really give a **** about ODI cricket in NZ anymore. Before this India series we were struggling to get more than 7-8,000 in for ODI's in Wellington. There'll be a bit of a bump in sales based on the world cup factor, but unless NZ go on a massive winning run a la 1992 it won't be anything crazy. The one exception is the ODI against Australia. Reckon the crowd for that will push 20,000.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, people don't really give a **** about ODI cricket in NZ anymore. Before this India series we were struggling to get more than 7-8,000 in for ODI's in Wellington. There'll be a bit of a bump in sales based on the world cup factor, but unless NZ go on a massive winning run a la 1992 it won't be anything crazy. The one exception is the ODI against Australia. Reckon the crowd for that will push 20,000.
I dunno, I think it could be one of those things that really explodes.
The presence of the media itself - filling up hotels and all that - is going to be enough to give it a bit of a roll.
Then when all our D-list celebrities start noticing that all these journalists are here for the cricket, they'll all want to "be there", in the same way that the Auckland Tennis thing is full of wankers just wanting to be seen.

Parallel to that will be all the businesses who'll be giving away tickets to clients and employees.

I just think it might be one of those things that really goes off.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The plan is that with temporary seating, Hagley's capacity will reach 20,000.

I reckon the opening game against SL will be a sell-out. (World Cup/1st big game post EQ etc)

_Ed_

Yeah, you may well be right. Hoping I might be able to make it down for that. Would also love to get around the country to some non-NZ games - Scotland-Afghanistan at Dunedin could be fun.

Need to start saving money, and fast.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It would be disappointing if any game featuring NZ isn't sold out IMO. I think the public will get right behind your team, plus there will be cricket fans from overseas going too.

I've got tickets to Australia vs Sri Lanka and then England vs Afghanistan. Hopefully England will have sorted them out somewhat by then so the game goes most of the distance. :p Most stands at the SCG have just single tickets available already.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, you may well be right. Hoping I might be able to make it down for that. Would also love to get around the country to some non-NZ games - Scotland-Afghanistan at Dunedin could be fun.

Need to start saving money, and fast.

Its great how the organizers have made the tickets cheaper to some of the games. It basically means that anyone from the 14 host cities can get to experience a world cup match.