• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Annoying Danny Morrison-isms

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There are so many, aren't there? Do people in the sub-continent like him because I honestly can't fathom how he keeps getting commentary gigs.

Still reeling over his use of "Devich", today he seems to have taken to calling Dilshan, "Dillers"

It is surely only a matter of time before the next "maximum"

Crib****'s favourite Morrison-ism "Straight away, gets the scissors out... and cuts it!"

Please can he just **** off already.

HeathDavisSpeed

So, he confused Chris Broad with Chris Doig.

Obviously.

Very easy to see the confusion. Why not Chris O'Dowd or maybe Kris Kristoffersen? Nice one, Danny.

Attachments

smash84

The Tiger King
There are so many, aren't there? Do people in the sub-continent like him because I honestly can't fathom how he keeps getting commentary gigs.

Still reeling over his use of "Devich", today he seems to have taken to calling Dilshan, "Dillers"

It is surely only a matter of time before the next "maximum"

Crib****'s favourite Morrison-ism "Straight away, gets the scissors out... and cuts it!"

Please can he just **** off already.
:lol:

I have always seen him programs in SL. Maybe he is popular in SL.

The only English commentator really popular in Pakistan was Geoffrey Boycott

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Seems to have modelled his exciteable play-by-play style on dimwit NRL commentators ffs. Someone tell him this is a cricket match.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I'd love it if the other commentators also couldn't stand the ****. I'd love to see the guy sitting next to him cringing. He introduces the next commentator in a squeamish way as well. And noooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww we have the esteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddd (insert random Sri Lanka commentator name).. Welcome back to the comm box (insert annoying nickname he has made up for said commentator).

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its not just the complete absence of substance that grates, it is the delivery as well..

James Franklin into the attackLIIIFFTAAAAAMARAAAAAAND. MASSIVE DECISION TO BRING HIM INTO THE ATTIC

Apart from preciousness over how the opponent receives the Haka before a rugby game, I think Morrison is the only New Zealand thing I don't like..

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
English meant English speaking.........

Heef asked if Morrison was popular in the SC. So I commented about Pakistan, not for the entire SC

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
When he sees a name with more than 2 syllables, he just takes the first and the last syllable and says whatever the **** he likes in between.

HeathDavisSpeed

The incredibly mis.... placed pause.... for dram.... atic effect!

GREAT SHOT THAT.... by DillERS!

I just wonder if the pause is his brain trying to catch up with his tongue.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Heef asked if Morrison was popular in the SC. So I commented about Pakistan, not for the entire SC
For some reason, this reminds me a lot of this:

Made by some pakistani company. Course it will be ****.

Made by some pakistani company. Course it will be ****.
Pakistani company made it.It will be the shiitty game ever

That's what I said?

I want to show everyone that I hate Pakistan.So I said that again.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This article does a fine analysis of Morrison's commentary style:

Andrew Hughes: Danny Morrison! Boom! | Page 2 | ESPN Cricinfo
That is a quite brilliant article that I'd somehow missed. I wonder if Danny has a collection of 'Straight as a die!', 'Got the dancing shoes on!' -like quotes that he conscientiously gathers ready to be deployed at random when later commentating excitedly on some mildly interesting piece of play. I can picture him rehearsing these by shouting at himself in front of a mirror in some Bangladeshi hotel room.

From the article:

And here is a commentator describing a six in Mirpur on Thursday:

"Here we go! It's gone to the moon! And it's gone all the way, baby! Ah yes! In some style! Tamim Iqbal! Straight as a die! Got the dancing shoes on! Look at the follow-through. Got the full flourish! With the one-wood. Boom! And it went miles."

Regular cricket watchers will recognise the modus operandi, but for the uninitiated, that was the inexplicable Danny Morrison. Even those who've been on a commentary journey with Danny before can find his style a bit of a jolt, like stepping into a lift in the morning to find the lift attendant shouting at you in between big slurps from a carton of espresso:

"Yeah baby! Look at those doors close! Straight as a metal arrow! Gotta love lift technology! Bang! Press the button! And up she goes! Fifth floor is it, sir? You betcha! This lift is flying! Second floor! Third floor! Fourth floor! This coffee is amazing! Fifth floor! Boom! Open the doors! Ping! See you later, alligator!"

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Apart from preciousness over how the opponent receives the Haka before a rugby game, I think Morrison is the only New Zealand thing I don't like..
This is something that officials care about, not NZers, to be honest. It's actually better if the opposition faces up or does something in response. I have no idea why that team (can't remember who it was) were reprimanded for advancing towards the haka. Absolutely ridiculous. I strongly doubt that the players or anyone from NZ had anything to do with that decision.

We don't expect people to just stand there passively.

the big bambino

International Captain
I know its the thing now to suck up to the Indian board and its fans. But Morrison is such a crawler I reckon he'd do it for less money. Saw one incident when he meshed his Aussie bashing with the preciousness India has over sledging and marked him down as a total **** ever since.