• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Annoying Danny Morrison-isms

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Can we blame him though? He plays to the galleries and earns good money out of it. Can't imagine him commenting like this in a test match or first class game in New Zealand if he is given a gig, say.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we blame him though? He plays to the galleries and earns good money out of it. Can't imagine him commenting like this in a test match or first class game in New Zealand if he is given a gig, say.
Yes, Pratters, we absolutely can blame someone for pandering to the lowest common denominator and for having no freaking dignity whatsoever.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not really.

There are plenty of ways I could get rich in ways that would be unsatisfactory to my set of morals. Hell, there are places I could be a professional beggar and make a lot of money.

Just cause there's an audience doesn't justify the performance.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is always a fine line obviously, Hendrix. I draw it on pimpiness of the Bhogle kind rather than the Morrison kind. Some one like Bhogle was a BCCI puppet for a long time. Morrison does a bit of theateretics which is idiotic and he is annoying as a commentator. So what. Big film stars do very much the same thing to earn big bucks. While I despise it to an extent, I don't care too much about it. Yeah, so I would draw my line before Bhogle and not Morrison.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he'd been as good a bowler as Neil Wagner I wouldn't have found him annoying at all, and if he'd just been half as good he wouldn't have been quite so bad

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is always a fine line obviously, Hendrix. I draw it on pimpiness of the Bhogle kind rather than the Morrison kind. Some one like Bhogle was a BCCI puppet for a long time. Morrison does a bit of theateretics which is idiotic and he is annoying as a commentator. So what. Big film stars do very much the same thing to earn big bucks. While I despise it to an extent, I don't care too much about it. Yeah, so I would draw my line before Bhogle and not Morrison.
Tbf, Harsha was never quite as big of a bcci flagbearer as someone like Shastri.

Also, Morrison is far worse at his job and far more annoying than Bhogle. Which is like saying someone is a far worse poster than Blocky. Truly incomprehensible, mind bending and unprecedented levels of badness.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Harsha was the worst, far worse than Shastri. Shastri usually went about his cliches. Bhogle spread propaganda. His tiff with Haigh was legendary. Loved how the Scottish captain snubbed him during world T20. Even in his commentary, from making cricketing points till a few years back, he went around to just joking about cricketers and their quircks. Was dire. I am quite surprised how well love and respected he still is in many Indian cricket fan circles.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha, 'disgraceful' from Shastri. Love Nasser. There was a press conference after after one of the games v SA and Ravi kept going at the press 'how many tests have you played' and 'we also get bouncy ones when we go out' ignoring the underpeparedness of the wickets. A lot of press people have been banned from stadium commentary boxes and barred a lot of times. Dire, really.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Not sure how playing number of tests has to do with any thing really. Last time I checked, David Frith, Gideon Haigh or most of the storied cricket commenters and writers didn't play even a single test.

Kirkut

International Regular
Harsha was the worst, far worse than Shastri. Shastri usually went about his cliches. Bhogle spread propaganda. His tiff with Haigh was legendary. Loved how the Scottish captain snubbed him during world T20. Even in his commentary, from making cricketing points till a few years back, he went around to just joking about cricketers and their quircks. Was dire. I am quite surprised how well love and respected he still is in many Indian cricket fan circles.
Bhogle was pretty good in 1990's, followed his commentary in India's England tour 1996. He has changed a lot after 2010, does a very commercialized brand of commentary to be honest. Shastri is not terrible, he just easily buys into cheesy sports journalism of British and Australian tabloids and goes mad.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah Bhogle was excellent in the 90s. His radio commentary work in Australia is also quite appreciated.

anil1405

International Captain
Bhogle was pretty good in 1990's, followed his commentary in India's England tour 1996. He has changed a lot after 2010, does a very commercialized brand of commentary to be honest. Shastri is not terrible, he just easily buys into cheesy sports journalism of British and Australian tabloids and goes mad.
That's kinda become a norm these days. John Dykes, for example, was so good in the 90's and early 2000's. Ever since he returned to host English Premier League talk shows, he'z been just as annoying as everyone else speaking the commercial lingo.