• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Annoying Danny Morrison-isms

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't actually mind Danny too much. To me, his commentary ordering on "so bad that it's good" territory - like a cheap 1950's b-movie with a bug-eyed, poorly made-up monster and ridiculously cheap sound-effects. Of course I wouldn't want him to be a regular part of New Zealand's commentary group, but he's OK for ****s n giggles once every year or so.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He IS a regular part of not just NZ's, but also Pakistan's and potentially Bangladesh's commentary team though.

His understanding of test level bowling is actually pretty decent, and he's certainly able to recognise good bowling, as evidenced by how he rates Junaid Khan and when he talks about Milne's seam presentation etc

Unfortunately, somewhere in his development he never learned what words are and that they're designed to be put together in sentences with some a certain structure to convey meaning to the recipient.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah he's a really dire version of Doull and Richardson. Doull knows bowling, and a bit about batting. Richardson knows a lot about batting but when he talks about bowling in his Herald columns puppies die because pace = everything. Those blokes can string sentences together though. Morrison is an awful communicator so despite being knowledgeable about fast bowling it's hard to tell he is.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He IS a regular part of not just NZ's, but also Pakistan's and potentially Bangladesh's commentary team though.
Yeah he is a popular option in the "cheaper" sub-continental countries for when New Zealand tours, but he's never utilised by Sky, or by anyone else for that matter (SA, England and India tend to go for Doull or Richardson, while Australia usually go for Smith). That usually means we only have to put up with him no more than once a year. I do have to say that I'd probably be a lot more tired of him if I hadn't missed about 90% of NZ's current tour of the sub-continent.

The thing I find the most hilarious is the constant switches in between what Jeremy Wells once dubbed as "post-coital mode" where his voice is a lot softer and calmer, and "coital" mode where he's screaming at the top of his lungs.

salman85

International Debutant
I can tolerate Morrison.Just can't tolerate Sidhu.It's like he's got a thesaurus infront of him.Thankfully i haven't heard that douche in a while.Don't know if he still does IPL though.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can tolerate Morrison.Just can't tolerate Sidhu.It's like he's got a thesaurus infront of him.Thankfully i haven't heard that douche in a while.Don't know if he still does IPL though.
He actually does have a book of quotes or something similar. Pretty sure he was shown on air to be referring to it once.

smash84

The Tiger King
haha....yeah heard about his book, thought it was too funny. I think it was VCS who said that Sidhu was caught trying to keep the book away before he went on air but people caught a glimpse of it

Langeveldt

Soutie
This is something that officials care about, not NZers, to be honest. It's actually better if the opposition faces up or does something in response. I have no idea why that team (can't remember who it was) were reprimanded for advancing towards the haka. Absolutely ridiculous. I strongly doubt that the players or anyone from NZ had anything to do with that decision.

We don't expect people to just stand there passively.
Fair enough, I think it was Wales who turned their backs to it? I know my high school's captained was laughing at Auckland Boys' rendition of the Haka and we were duly crushed, so as long as the rugby does the talking afterwards, which it normally does when you play a New Zealand team..

I think both sides have their anthems which should be respected, then whatever goes on before the kick off in terms of psyching up should be the teams business and for nobody else to worry about..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah he is a popular option in the "cheaper" sub-continental countries for when New Zealand tours, but he's never utilised by Sky, or by anyone else for that matter (SA, England and India tend to go for Doull or Richardson, while Australia usually go for Smith). That usually means we only have to put up with him no more than once a year. I do have to say that I'd probably be a lot more tired of him if I hadn't missed about 90% of NZ's current tour of the sub-continent.

The thing I find the most hilarious is the constant switches in between what Jeremy Wells once dubbed as "post-coital mode" where his voice is a lot softer and calmer, and "coital" mode where he's screaming at the top of his lungs.
South Africa hired him for the T20 stuff.. When he was in dual with Pommy Mbangwa I imagine their lunch had more of an insight.. On the other end of the spectrum has to be Jeremy Coney, a legend of many a late shift on UK Sky cricket, and of course TMS

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough, I think it was Wales who turned their backs to it? I know my high school's captained was laughing at Auckland Boys' rendition of the Haka and we were duly crushed, so as long as the rugby does the talking afterwards, which it normally does when you play a New Zealand team..

I think both sides have their anthems which should be respected, then whatever goes on before the kick off in terms of psyching up should be the teams business and for nobody else to worry about..
I think Wales' deal was that for one of their home matches at Cardiff, they wanted to be able to sing their national anthem as the last act before the beginning of the game (so that the Haka would come before it). When the WRU refused to budge on this, the All Blacks packed a sook and did the haka in their changing room instead. It really was a pathetic moment from the All Blacks and their staff.

Oh dear, I believe this has gone a bit off topic.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Seems to have modelled his exciteable play-by-play style on dimwit NRL commentators ffs. Someone tell him this is a cricket match.
Yeah trying to sound like Graeme Hughes, he does live in Australia as well I believe.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Hughes actually do a bit of cricket commentary back in the Cricket Max days?