• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Or Ponting?

Sachin or Ponting?

• Sachin

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Ponting

Votes: 17 43.6%

• Total voters

Shivankit

Cricket Spectator
I have always wondered that could anybody ever match Sahin,but recently i have seen pontig driving alongside and some times overtaking him.But Sachin has many a times stacked all the odds and returned,but will this be a dejawoo?all the star will loose its light and hit the side netting,ther are chances around someone like ponting around :ninja:

Eclipse

International Debutant
I would rather Ponting if both of there carear's were starting right now but It's just so hard to overlook sachin's brilliance over souch a long period.

If there is one critersisim I have of Sachin it's that he does not make enough big big scores.

masterblaster

International Captain
Good to see Sachin leading the polls!

Obviously Cricket Web prevents the same IP from voting time and time again,

Hence Amits only voted once...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
No doubt about it, Sachin any day of the weak. Sorry but Sachin has over 60 International 100s, Ponting just can't compare with that, and all that Sachin has done through his career.

krkode

State Captain
I agree with Rik. I don't think Ponting will have as many as Sachin even if he plays as many games.

Besides, I'm of the staunch impression that Ponting has it easier than Tendulkar. He's got 4-5 other batsmen on the team who average 50+ and he's hardly expected to perform every time.

Of course, that isn't the point and shouldn't factor in to deciding who is the better batsman, because then Ponting would be at a disadvantage, just because he plays for a more successful team, and that would be unfair to him.

Personally, I think only Lara matches Tendulkar in terms of match pressure - maybe even more so than Tendulkar feels. That's why I think Tendulkar and Lara are the best batsmen in the world. A mere look at the numbers would cause me to say the former is slightly better.

Bazza

International 12th Man
A vague comparison which isn't conclusive, but Tendulkar has 100x50s and 67x100s in 490 innings, Ponting has 55x50s and 35x100s in 298 innings.

OK that suggests Tendulkar is better but there isn't much between them in averages (indicates Tendulkar is more consistent but Ponting makes bigger scores). Ponting is a year younger but the bottom line is both will go down as great batsmen among the leading run scorers in both forms, and not just because they will play alot of games.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
SRT will hit back hard.

At Sydney.

Making 250.

STEVE will too.

I rate Ponting only just below SRT.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The main thing is that Ponting's huge surge of runs have come in the period from August 2001 onwards. It started on a not-ideal wicket (although both innings needed early let-offs) and was followed almost exclusively on easy-paced, consistent, seamless and turnless wickets.
Tendulkar has played for longer than Ponting and has scored a heavy weight of runs in many conditions that offered seam, turn and swing to bowlers far more accurate than most of those Ponting has scored heavily against.
Without a question in my mind Tendulkar is the superior player but in this day-and-age Ponting is more consistent at the task at hand - flat-track bullying.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
The main thing is that Ponting's huge surge of runs have come in the period from August 2001 onwards. It started on a not-ideal wicket (although both innings needed early let-offs) and was followed almost exclusively on easy-paced, consistent, seamless and turnless wickets.
Tendulkar has played for longer than Ponting and has scored a heavy weight of runs in many conditions that offered seam, turn and swing to bowlers far more accurate than most of those Ponting has scored heavily against.
Without a question in my mind Tendulkar is the superior player but in this day-and-age Ponting is more consistent at the task at hand - flat-track bullying.
If these supposed 'flat-tracks' are so easy to score off, how do you reason it is possible that so many batsmen have struggled on them? Only Hayden, Ponting, Dravid, and to a lesser extent Smith have scored heavily on them. You can't put down batsmen because of the pitches they play on, particularly if other batsmen have trouble on these pitches.

If SRT is so great, which I dont deny he is, why has he had problems this year where the wickets he has played on have all been fairly flat?

MZ_RPFC

Cricket Spectator
Not just now but Ricky Ponting over the last 2 or so years. Ponting has averaged over 80 and Tendulkar has done nothing due having a **** 2003 and not doing much in 2002.

mustang

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
On current form i.e. past 28 months I'd go for Punter on any day of the week - thats test or ODI's! Historically speaking yeah Tendulkar!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting any day of the week for me, the batting is pretty even but Ponting is a brilliant skipper and the best fielder in the world.

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
Through out the careers out these fine batsmen, they have been exellent stroke makers, but recently Sachin Tendulkar has been in a tremendous form slup in the past 12 months or so with an average of about 15.
But on the other hand Ricky Ponting has been in truly magnificent form in the past 12 month with a Bradman like average of nearly 100, but we all might be influenced to think that Ponting is the better batsmen.
So I am taking the whole career into mind to make my decision.

Tendulkar.
He is a better stroke player, by a small margin over Ponting, and he can also bowl a little bit. But Ponting is a natural leader in the game so therefore my decision goes towards Ponting as being the better player

Craig

World Traveller
I am going to recieve a lot of critism for this and a lot of quoting posts by people telling me I dont know anything but I will say it:

I think SRT is slightly over-rated because he hasnt played enough match winning innings for India. He doess profit a lot in India. And at times I rate Dravid higher then Tendulkar.

Still a great player though and the pressure on him is enourmous, but I can count on my right hand on how many match winning innings has he played in Tests and when it has been in difficult conditions.