• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worse no. 6's than Ramdin

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely wasn't thinking of Greg Matthews when I started this thread! He belongs in a different "Collingwood" thread for "folk with crappy-looking techniques who really can't have been that good - can they? - but who somehow churned out really good numbers". Re Matthews, that obviously only applies to his batting - his bowling was seriously ordinary.

On the Geoff Miller call, I suspect in every test he played he was playing alongside Botham, so the selectors probably felt the two of them made a respectable 6-7 combo....
Miller would have played a few tests without Botham - maybe against WI in 1976 and in Pakistan during 1977/78. tbf I can't remember whether he batted at 6 on those occasions. But I think you're right about Miller + Botham on the majority of his appearances.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dwayne Bravo, surely. Spent 50 innings there and never managed to average more than mid-twenties in the position.

In terms of actually useful players, Alan Knott was elevated to #6 for 20 innings despite playing with the likes of D'Olivera and Greig to take on fifth bowler duties. Apparently not a success, he only managed two fifties and averaged 22.
Dwayne Bravo's probably the worst player to have played as many internationals as he's done. He's a complete hack.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I see your Dwayne Bravo and raise you a Ryan Hinds. I seem to remember him holding down the 6 spot for a whole series when England were there one time.

I'd imagine the worst ever no. 6 is a Bangladeshi, no?

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I see your Dwayne Bravo and raise you a Ryan Hinds. I seem to remember him holding down the 6 spot for a whole series when England were there one time.

I'd imagine the worst ever no. 6 is a Bangladeshi, no?
In terms of worst records yeah, Alok Kapali and Aftab Ahmed are there if you limit the number of innings to 15 or so.

Widen the net a bit and you surprisingly find "the Australian WG" Geroge Giffen taking the biscuit, with his 11 innings in the position getting him 94 runs at an average of 8.54.

And yeah - White, Capel and Harris are all up there. Along with Graeme Thorpe, weirdly

Flametree

International 12th Man
C'mon, Bravo averaged 31 point something vs Ramdin's 25 so he can't fit the thread. And when Bravo played, it's likely one of the openers was Daren Ganga or Devon Smith, so having your number 6 average 31 was not the line-up's most serious problem....

David Capel is a good call...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Mo was a pretty handy cricketer. He'd walk in to Aust's current top 6.