• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I want to attempt a world record

Langeveldt

Soutie
Okay I've had this idea for a while. I want to break the world record for net batting, I hear this was done earlier this year at the Loughborough school.. Anyone who has met me knows I enjoy batting and batting, and while not gifted with bags of talent, and being bowled by one of Goughy's 13 year old students, and Neil Pickup, I enjoy my batting and have a decent technique..

So I need some people to run with this idea, I need people to bowl at me for a long period of time, I need somewhere to do this, and I need a decent cause to support.. I can either do this in England or South Africa, as I move between both, so wherever I get the most support I will attempt this..

As far as I know, the current world record is 24 hours, with 5 minute breaks every hour

Any takers?

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, it was at the Oval. Believe it was 26 hours.

I'll come for a trundle if you do it at a similar venue.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah, it was at the Oval. Believe it was 26 hours.

I'll come for a trundle if you do it at a similar venue.
Judging by Facebook it'll be in England as I'm getting more support for it.. Does it count if you face a bowling machine? That will mean I can go with a proposal to an indoor school with fewer people needing to be on board..

I also need a worthy charity to support, any suggestions? If none come forward I will do it for my local township cricket club in SA

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There might be a new record set by the time you organise it if Cook and Carberry keep going.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wish you well with it mate. Which charity do you think you'll do it for?

The Burge Retirement Fund strikes me as a worthy cause :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
I wish you well with it mate. Which charity do you think you'll do it for?

The Burge Retirement Fund strikes me as a worthy cause :)

Haha, depends where lads who are willing to support me are based. I'll try and support something in that locality.. If not, I know of a few township clubs in Port Elizabeth who are doing good work and would be grateful for the support. I've previously done some stuff for Orbis who run a mobile eye hospital out of a Boeing 737, helping restore people's sight in hard to reach areas, I've always thought that was a special gig.

Early indications suggest it will be at the County Ground in Taunton, Somerset. Although if anyone wants to put me up somewhere hot I will be willing to travel.

http://www.orbis.org.uk/OfficeHome.aspx?cid=5001&lang=1

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The world record is 26 hours - I know because I was there for part of it!

World Record Cricket Net - The Kia Oval - 15-16 July 2013 * Alby Shale Sets New World Record | The Referee ? Dragon School, Oxford

It's a serious commitment - the guy who broke it was absolutely spaced out by the time I was bowling (1am to 4am) and you have to maximise that five-minute rest time. You also need to have several adjudicators and officials and observers keeping an eye on the whole process. You need a team to make it work.

I think the previous record (24hr - Jade Child) was with the aid of a machine. Alby's new record was entirely bowlers.

I'm up for helping out again if it's this coming UK summer.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The world record is 26 hours - I know because I was there for part of it!

World Record Cricket Net - The Kia Oval - 15-16 July 2013 * Alby Shale Sets New World Record | The Referee ? Dragon School, Oxford

It's a serious commitment - the guy who broke it was absolutely spaced out by the time I was bowling (1am to 4am) and you have to maximise that five-minute rest time. You also need to have several adjudicators and officials and observers keeping an eye on the whole process. You need a team to make it work.

I think the previous record (24hr - Jade Child) was with the aid of a machine. Alby's new record was entirely bowlers.

I'm up for helping out again if it's this coming UK summer.
Fantastic, well it would be amazing if you could help. If this gets a lot of support I am going to start working on my fitness right away. Can't say I'm in great nick . I'm terrified of facing your floaters again.. I imagine the best time to do it is next British summer. I guess the main challenge is finding a facility that will host me for such a long period of time.. Who are the judges and how are they organized?

The current record holder also mentions an Aussie is planning to do a 30 hour net? Do you know if this came to fruition? I'm confident of 26 hours but anything over 30 just seems too much

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Use your links and contacts. You're an old boy at King's Taunton: what about either there during that first dead week of the summer holidays (w/c 7 July) before the festival programme starts, or using the facilities at the County Ground: there must be links between the club and the school that could be pursued - the perfect world is a tie-in with a T20 or List A match on the same date. You could also flag it easily with the kids at the school and get plenty of willing net bowlers.

Fundraising wise, the school must have a social impact / public benefit director who may well be leading school-linked projects for which you could help fundraise - we're doing a lot in the Dominican Republic with fair-trade coffee, for instance. Judges were partially from Guinness Book of Records, partly within the project: had to record every ball faced and every minute faced - checking the comfort breaks were no longer than 5' etc. They were on rotation through the 26 hours.

Langeveldt

Soutie
but batting in the nets gets boring after about 8 balls.
I've done 8 hours before.. I have a Trott like hunger for measured batting, without the necessary talent.

You have to put yourself under some sort of adversity if you want to raise money anyway

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I also need a worthy charity to support, any suggestions? If none come forward I will do it for my local township cricket club in SA
Seems like the most appropriate charity to do it for to be honest.

I'd potentially be interested in helping out provided you do it in July or later.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Doubt it would count as bowling if I got involved - but I'll see what I can do. Do you need numbers before you set a date and venue?