• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arjuna Ranatunga

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Just wondering what people here think of Ranatunga and his contribution to Sri Lankan and World cricket.

I'm sure we'll get quite a range of views.... :D

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
To cut it short, Ranatunga can simply be described as a controversial character.

Cricketing wise, he lead Sri Lanka to the 1996 World Cup and his record in both forms of the game has been good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me Ranatunga is no more of an idiot than Cronje and Azharrudin.
AFAIAC a captain has no obligation to respect an Umpire who has specifically contravened a clear ICC ruling.
Emerson brought the game into disrepute, not Ranatunga.

Bazza

International 12th Man
His record as a batsman was never that good if I recall. Yeah he averaged 35 in both forms which isn't great, and I would say the World Cup success was down to a few other players as much as he (ie the openers especially). Still he has played his part...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
For me Ranatunga is no more of an idiot than Cronje and Azharrudin.
AFAIAC a captain has no obligation to respect an Umpire who has specifically contravened a clear ICC ruling.
Didn't the 'clear ICC ruling' come AFTER this?
Just occasionally, Mark Nicholas talks some sense - and
this article sums up my feelings about the Murali affair.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as I was aware it came after him and Hair victimised him the first time, in 1996.
The game in question was in early 1999.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Of course he is not as much of an idiot as Cronje, he didn't fix any matches. But the fact remains that he brought the game into disrepute. You can't just tell the umpire he is wrong, and tell him where to stand. The game would have been better off without him. He escaped many fines as his lawyers theatened legal action if they fined him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:

Oh yes I remember clearly Emerson leading the other umpire off the pitch and refusing to return for 15 minutes.

And I remember Emerson telling Ranatunga to move his fielders around.

Oh no, I forget, it was Ranatunga who led his team off, and it was Ranatunga who tried to get Emerson to move from where he always stood because he wasn't happy.

Try telling me that wasn't bringing the game into disrepute?

I quote Law 3.7 - Fair and unfair play
The umpires shall be the sole judges of fair and unfair play.

Perhaps that should be rewritten as well to allow petulant captains to be the judge?

CDAK

U19 Debutant
I think there's no Srilankan in this forum.I really wish if somebody is there. I have to disagree with most of(all of u?).
I believe he is one of the best captains I've ever seen(even better than Steve.Steve got nearly world beater team from Tayler.).He inspired, encouraged, the whole second class team to become world's best one. he is the man in crisis.Coolest(after Viv Richards).Even the ICE MAN seems to be tensed at times.
Most of u called him IDIOT bacuse he disrespected umpire's decision. But I call him a Brave captain. (be in a side which gets all the worst decisions by umpires/match referee, ur captains will also become IDIOTs.)Only Because of his strong support,Murali is now the most prolific wicket taker in Cricket.
THis is my list of most cleverest/attacking/tactful captains(not behind 1985):
Cronje & Arjuana
Steve
Gatting,Tayler,Border
Hussain, Saurav
Fleming ,Kapil
Ponting, Pollock
Jayasurya, Azhar

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
I wasn't a cricket fan during the reign of Ranatunga, but now that I look back on his career, I admire him very much.

He was head of one of the weaker teams in the world and he bought them so far as cricket's most prized trophy.

That deal with the Aussie umpire is BS, IMHO. If my bowler was called for throwing, I would feel like doing the exact same thing. Before he was a cricket player, he was a Sri Lankan, and probably a friend of Muralitharan and everyone on the team. I don't blame him for what he did.

And Marc, or anyone who thinks he overreacted, I doubt you would react much differently were you in his shoes. Don't go about judging him not knowing what it must have been like.

Legglancer

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Oh yes I remember clearly Emerson leading the other umpire off the pitch and refusing to return for 15 minutes.

And I remember Emerson telling Ranatunga to move his fielders around.

Oh no, I forget, it was Ranatunga who led his team off, and it was Ranatunga who tried to get Emerson to move from where he always stood because he wasn't happy.

Try telling me that wasn't bringing the game into disrepute?

I quote Law 3.7 - Fair and unfair play
The umpires shall be the sole judges of fair and unfair play.

Reply:-

Well Ranatunga did not take crap from anyone .... including some shamefully biased umpires who targeted and victimised his players. He always fearlessly stood for what is right ... inspite of what the cricket laws say.

Perhaps that should be rewritten as well to allow petulant captains to be the judge?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Although not the greatest batsman in the world, he did a job and gave Sri Lanka mental toughness which they have lost since his retirement. How badly they need it again.

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
Although not the greatest batsman in the world, he did a job and gave Sri Lanka mental toughness which they have lost since his retirement. How badly they need it again.
They did remarkably well for a while under Jayasurya, but since the World Cup they seem to have lost all that again.

I recall a period when they won 10 tests in a row under Jayasurya...(?)

CDAK

U19 Debutant
krkode said:
They did remarkably well for a while under Jayasurya, but since the World Cup they seem to have lost all that again.

I recall a period when they won 10 tests in a row under Jayasurya...(?)
They didn't do anything better than Ranathuga's(That is just like Ponting took from Waugh or Waugh took from Tayler). Jayasurya was not able to inspire his team as what the mighty Arjuna did.( but waugh's case is different). Srilanka is gaining their respect back under Hashan.

Legglancer

State Regular
Rik said:

Eventhough his average was only 35 it hardly does any juctice to his talent as a batsman. Ive watched matchers where required rate is up to 8 r.p.o. and how casually he gets about his buisiness and more often than not win the match for SL. For a man of his size his touch was delicate and precise in placement. He was a master at walking the single ...:lol: He also played spinners with consumate ease. Sometimes Gream Thorps batting style reminds me of captain cool.

krkode

State Captain
marc71178 said:
IIRC most of those were at home against Zim or Bang though...
Really doesn't matter. 10 tests is 10 tests. But I see what you're saying, it's not as great of an accomplishment as it sounds.