• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arjuna Ranatunga

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Legglancer said:
lol ... Are you for real Marc ? .... Please dont argue just for the sake of it. Are you from the same planet ? are we refering to the same ICC thats known for the lack of a better term as the "toothless tiger" ???
Not even the ICC would allow an umpire to remain officiating after that.

By causing a fuss in that manner Ranatunga brought the game seriously into disrepute.

Legglancer

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Not even the ICC would allow an umpire to remain officiating after that.

By causing a fuss in that manner Ranatunga brought the game seriously into disrepute.
Evidently you just don't get it .... You are incaperble of formulating a thought-out response to an openion. In my statements I've given plenty of info to back my claims like most people in this forum .... however you dont seem to have the capacity for much cognition.

Therefore I am not going to respond to your "talking doll" unsubstantiated responses as its only a waste of time.

Please feel free to offer one of your uniquely dim replys !!! :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ranatunga was revolutionary. Exaggeration? Probably but I'll say it anyway. He was a great captain, and for the people that are arguing everyone should follow the laws, like someone else stated, women would not be able to vote and black people would still be slaves among other more horrible things. Cricket is the same. There comes a time when you have to stand up to those that are doing wrong and that's what Ranatunga did. He was loyal to his team, and that is much more important than respecting a disgraceful umpire who deserves to be thrown off a cliff. Yes another exaggeration.

I loved Ranatunga and I love Sri Lankan cricket. I say this as an Australian with Indian heritage so I offer no bias at all. Ranatunga was great and people like Emerson don't deserve the privilege to have a big say in the way cricket is played. I have huge amounts of respect for Ranatunga, he did what was right.

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
I feel that emerson brought the game into dispute by giving such a ruling against Murali and made a mockery of ICC's decision.

Does Emerson still do any umpiring in matches?

Craig

World Traveller
There was no way Emerson should have been umpiring in that match. Apprantly he wasnt fit to after being on stress leave from the NSWPF

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
I know umpires should be respected because they uphold the laws of cricket. But why should they be revered like gods. They are just as prone to mistakes and unacceptable behaviour like cricketers as was Darrel Hair. I am proud of Ranatunga for standing up to such arrogant cronies. He has been the captain of Sri Lanka with strongest character and has took them to the top of the crickting world. He revolutionised one day cricket tactics and made it more exciting to watch. He wasn't the most talented batsman but his captaincy was unique. That his why I respect him. Controversial maybe but definitely not an idiot. He had to be a forceful, strong figure as previous Sri Lankan captains did not have the aggression to take the game to the opponents and beat them. That is what he brought to Sri Lankan cricket.:P