• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A 1930 Cricket Puzzle by Sir Artur Eddington

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sir Donald Bradman once wrote about a puzzle given to him by a famous astrophysicist, Sir Arthur Eddington, in 1930. He went on to explain that he had taken two decades to solve the puzzle and finally cracked it while on a ship to England to play against the British in 1948. He also said he would be happy to have someone else give it a try.

Here's Don Bradman's puzzle:

AN IMAGINARY SCOREBOARD

Atkins 6
Bodkins 8
Dawkins 6
Hawkins 6
Jenkins 5
Larkins 4
Meakins 7
Perkins 11
Simkins 6
Tomkins 0
Willkins 1

Extras 0

Total 60

BOWLING

Pitchwell: 12.1-2-14-8
Speedwell: 6-0-15-1
Tosswell: 7-5-31-1

CLUES

1.The batsmen have scored only in singles and 4s.
2.All of them were clean bowled. No one was caught or run out. There were no no balls or 'short' runs.
3.Speedwell and Tosswell bowled 6 and 7 overs respectively at a stretch.
4. Pitchwell opened the bowling, with Speedwell coming in at the other end for the next over.
5.The overs were of 6 balls each.

QUESTIONS

1. Which bowler dismissed which batsmen?
2. Who was not out?
3. What were the Fall of Wickets?

Time to let CWers have a crack at it :) If you know the answer, or manage to solve the puzzle, please PM me instead of posting the answer on this thread.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

This is one tough nut. It took Bradman around two decades. So, where are all the stats aficionados? Go linear on this **** :)

harsh.ag

I have been on this for almost three hours now, and am finding it incredibly difficult to crack.

harsh.ag

I think I have figured this out (at least one way of doing so..). I am posting the first part of my solution:

1st over - Bowled by Pitchwell. Atkins on strike. Single. Bodkins on strike.

2nd over - Bowled by Speedwell. Atkins on strike. Four.

3rd over - Bowled by Pitchwell. Bodkins on strike. Maiden.

4th over - Bowled by Speedwell. Atkins on strike. Single.

5th over - Bowled by Pitchwell. Atkins on strike. Out. 6/1 (Atkins b.Pitchwell for 6). Dawkins on strike. Single. Bodkins on strike.

6th over - Bowled by Speedwell. Dawkins on strike. Four.

7th over - Bowled by Pitchwell. Bodkins on strike. Maiden.

8th over - Bowled by Speedwell. Dawkins on strike. Single. Bodkins on strike.

9th over - Bowled by Pitchwell. Dawkins on strike. Out. 12/2 (Dawkins b.Pitchwell for 6). Hawkins on strike. Four. Single. Bodkins on strike.

10th over - Bowled by Speedwell. Hawkins on strike............