• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 05 v England 13

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain

1. Trescothick
2. Strauss
3. Vaughan
4. Bell
5. KP
6. Flintoff
7. Jones
8. Giles
9. Hoggard
10. Jones
11. Harmison

1. Cook
2. Root
3. Trott
4. KP
5. Bell
6. <insert preferred>
7. Prior
8. Bresnan
9. Broad
10. Swann
11. Anderson

As they were/are at the time in question.

Who wins?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I guess this thread was kinda begging to be spammed by trolls.

My bad

Last edited by a moderator:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, uh, let's avoid the ableist slurs and the like from now on in general. We're really good on similar stuff usually, let's try to take that across to this case.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting. I have clearly lived outside the Western world for far too long. I hadn't heard the expression "ableist slur" before. Anyway, right on.

Quick research shows that 'lame' is considered an ableist slur and it is used pretty frequently on here. Is it banned?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
On paper its arguable that 2013 is the better team, but I don't think they've done anything as magnificent as 2005 did in 2004/05 when they beat South Africa and Australia back-to-back.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England 05 beat Australia 05, England 13 beat Australia 13. Enough to know which team hit the higher peak

OverratedSanity

Actually that doesn't tell you which team hit the higher peak not that I disagree with you about the 05 side being better.
Didn't even say they were better. But beating that Australia side was one of the all time great performances. Certainly a far better feat that any achieved by this team imo.

Ray.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Didn't even say they were better. But beating that Australia side was one of the all time great performances. Certainly a far better feat that any achieved by this team imo.
I agree beating Australia of 05 was far more difficult than beating the current crop Australian side.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The away victory the 13 team had in India was also one of the great performances IMO, but not quite as good as what the 05 team achieved. 05 is a little bit better than the current team IMO

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Based purely on the standard and performances during the 2 Ashes series then 2005 wins, but 2013 is still a better team allround and has been consistently good for nearly 4 years. 2005 was good for about 18 months peaking for one incredible series then went to **** in a hurry.

Just look at the team sheets together and this is a non argument really, a couple of debatable points but England have only gone backwards in a couple of positions in the 11 IMO

flibbertyjibber

Yeah if you went man for man then the 13 side would probably come out on top if only for the fact that Bell, Prior and Swann are far better than the 05 Bell, Jones and Giles. A swing of 3 is very hard to pull back if you don't give Vaughan lots for his captaincy to pick him ahead of Trott.

Trescothick - Cook Draw
Strauss > Root
Vaughan < Trott
KP - KP Draw
Bell < Bell
Flintoff > AN Other
Jones < Prior
Giles < Swann
Hoggard < Anderson
Jones > Bresnan
Harmison < Broad

I've not gone by batting order but like for like as in Hoggard and Anderson being swing bowlers so they match up etc...

In a man for man thing I have gone for 13 over 05 but I still think the 05 side would win for some reason.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
In a man for man thing I have gone for 13 over 05 but I still think the 05 side would win for some reason.
Without opening up old arguments with our Aussie mates here........Eng did not particularly play good cricket in this years Ashes (3rd gear and all that :ph34r:) in 05 they were excellent, so as per the brief in the OP based on that then 05 wins. But.....

The 2013 side that toured India did play good cricket and if we are judging them at that standard then it's a different outcome IMO.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah if you went man for man then the 13 side would probably come out on top if only for the fact that Bell, Prior and Swann are far better than the 05 Bell, Jones and Giles. A swing of 3 is very hard to pull back if you don't give Vaughan lots for his captaincy to pick him ahead of Trott.

Trescothick - Cook Draw
Strauss > Root
Vaughan < Trott
KP - KP Draw
Bell < Bell
Flintoff > AN Other
Jones < Prior
Giles < Swann
Hoggard < Anderson
Jones > Bresnan
Harmison < Broad

I've not gone by batting order but like for like as in Hoggard and Anderson being swing bowlers so they match up etc...

I love Treso, one of my very favourite players ever but how is it a draw between him and Cook? Unless you are simply judging on the series just gone against the 05 series, in which case Trescothick clearly had the better series.

Last edited: