• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 05 v England 13

watson

Banned
Marto was awesome... My absolute favorite batsman from that aussie side.
The whole lineup was found out in that series tbh, the bowling from the English quartet was simply too good. Martyn actually played a vital innings at Lord's in the second innings, unlike Hayden who cashed in when conditions were the easiest in the series. That hundred was useless
Hayden's scored just one century on English soil and underperformed during both his tours;

2001: 5 Tests - 234 runs at 33.53 - HS = 68

2005: 5 Tests - 318 runs at 35.33 - HS =138

So I think that his failure in 2005 was more to do with his lack of technique in English conditions rather than the English bowlers per se. That is, merely hitting through the line with static-footwork may be OK in Australia or India, but is rarely going to succeed in England.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hayden failed because he was just a massive flat track bully who failed against most decent quick bowlers in conditions that favoured the bowlers.

So far from an ideal opener it's not funny, and he was just ****ing lucky his career coincided with a pretty weak era of pace bowling and flat as **** pitches. I can't remember one clutch innings from Hayden where he dug in when it was tough.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden failed because he was just a massive flat track bully who failed against most decent quick bowlers in conditions that favoured the bowlers.

So far from an ideal opener it's not funny, and he was just ****ing lucky his career coincided with a pretty weak era of pace bowling and flat as **** pitches. I can't remember one clutch innings from Hayden where he dug in when it was tough.
Single-handedly outscored Pakistan in 2002 tbf.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Coming in as opener on a flat pitch after the opposition has been bowled out for 59. So much pressure, eh? Terrible weather though, I'll give him that.
It's strange that Sehwag is criticised so often for his limitations but he's played his fair share of great innings when the team's been under the pump. Hayden's not just an FTB he was a pretty fair weather batsman(ironic since he made that sharjah hundred in 50 degree heat). I rarely remember him delivering in a crunch situation

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Coming in as opener on a flat pitch after the opposition has been bowled out for 59. So much pressure, eh? Terrible weather though, I'll give him that.
It's strange that Sehwag is criticised so often for his limitations but he's played his fair share of great innings when the team's been under the pump. Hayden's not just an FTB he was a pretty fair weather batsman(ironic since he made that sharjah hundred in 50 degree heat). I rarely remember him delivering in a crunch situation
Hayden won 9 Man of the Match awards in his career;

HowSTAT! Man of Match Awards

So by looking at those 9 games where Hayden won Man of the Match, the closest that he came to a 'crunch situation' (from what I can gather) was the 2nd Test against Sri Lanka in July 2004. Hayden made 132 runs out of a second innings team total of 292. Sri Lanka held on for a draw on the 5th day with just 2 wickets left;

HowSTAT! Match Scorecard

Riggins

International Captain
The there's one player who might qualify for being in a pressure situation per match? Seems legit.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Of course there was often no pressure because off the start Hayden gave his side.

But he struggled in 05 because we had a plan for him and it worked.

Riggins

International Captain
This isn't a case of McGrath vs Atherton. The bowling was tight but Flintoff aside he just required time at the crease to solve. Hayden didn't care about his strike rate yet some of the deliveries he went after were one day wide full deliveries and leg side ones. Hayden wasn't usually bothered about being starved of runs. That's why I believe his poor form was 60% and disciplined bowling was 40% of why he was neutered.

Daemon

Hayden won 9 Man of the Match awards in his career;

HowSTAT! Man of Match Awards

So by looking at those 9 games where Hayden won Man of the Match, the closest that he came to a 'crunch situation' (from what I can gather) was the 2nd Test against Sri Lanka in July 2004. Hayden made 132 runs out of a second innings team total of 292. Sri Lanka held on for a draw on the 5th day with just 2 wickets left;

HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
Damien Martyn only had 3 man of the match awards in his entire career. What a hack.

OverratedSanity

HowSTAT! Match Scorecard
No Murali though so it doesn't count :ph34r:

Kidding, it looks like a good innings when the team needed it. I'd love to see more such examples and my assumption of Hayden being an FWB be proven wrong

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
that hundred he made with symonds at the G surely counts as being under pressure? Weren't we 4-20 or so?

mm we we were 5.80 following england making 160 in the first innings 4th Test: Australia v England at Melbourne, Dec 26-28, 2006 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

that scorecard really does suggest batting was not easy.
Yeah, it was a theme of that series really, we'd get in a decent position one way or another and then you'd overcome it and then some. I think Symonds got one of his umpire reprieves in that innings but it was certainly a pressure situation; shows you the folly of looking only at close matches and winning outcome to determine whether there was pressure.

See also; Ian Bell @ Lord's this summer, Trott & Broad @ Lord's 2010. Both matches ended as trouncings, the latter by an innings and yet we were in deep **** both times.

I don't think there's any other sport where the final analysis can often betray just how close things were, so often.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Hayden's scored just one century on English soil and underperformed during both his tours;

2001: 5 Tests - 234 runs at 33.53 - HS = 68

2005: 5 Tests - 318 runs at 35.33 - HS =138

So I think that his failure in 2005 was more to do with his lack of technique in English conditions rather than the English bowlers per se. That is, merely hitting through the line with static-footwork may be OK in Australia or India, but is rarely going to succeed in England.
I admire Hayden, but there's more than an element of truth in this.

Until the last match, he was a walking wicket in 05.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

TB - 11.1 This time Mr Dar gets it wrong. Big inside edge as Martyn drives. The ball then hits pad and the loud shout for lbw is upheld! Australia in deep trouble now
OT - 42.5 oh dear! thick inside edge onto the pad but umpire Bucknor upholds the lbw appeal - Martyn walks away shaking his head
The Slater commentary moment - 'I thought I heard two noises' - was almost certainly Old Trafford. IIRC it kickstarted England's momentum to the point where England almost won.

Worst decision was Katich's at Trent Bridge - given lbw to one that pitched miles outside leg.